Cool car innovations that we've seen in recent years

5,303 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ciboag96
Dill-Ag13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I saw this click-bait fake news which made me wonder how far away we are from composite con-rods in racing applications. I wonder if such innovations will ever trickle down into production cars or if mainstream combustion engines will have gone the way of the dodo long before.

What's the coolest innovation you've seen in recent years?
Mookie
AG
Apple car play
TxSquarebody
Opposed Piston Opposed Cylinder (OPOC) engines

aggieforester05
AG
The new ZF 8 speed and GM/Ford 10 speed have made automatic transmissions not suck as bad as they used to. In some ways they're superior to manuals even though a manual is still more fun. Regardless they're the first automatics I've driven that do not feel like they handicap the vehicle.
JamesPShelley
TxSquarebody said:

They've been around for a long time. Flat-4. Flat-6. Subarus run them. I've a 2.5 in my 986.
CanyonAg77
AG
I'm an old fart that has seen the transition from points to electronic ignition, to computer controlled ignition.

Same, from carbs to throttle body to computer injection.

The only other change that's been as significant in my time is longevity. A car with 50K miles used to be worn out. Now its routine to go 4-6x as long.
CanyonAg77
AG
JamesPShelley said:

TxSquarebody said:

They've been around for a long time. Flat-4. Flat-6. Subarus run them. I've a 2.5 in my 986.
Take another look.

That ain't a Flat 4

Flat 4:

TxSquarebody
Yeah, that's no boxer!
Stat Monitor Repairman
Cars that automatically beep the horn when you lock or unlock the vehicle.

Back in the old days when arriving somewhere late at night or leaving early in the morning, you had to manually beep the horn to wake everybody up.
JamesPShelley
CanyonAg77 said:

JamesPShelley said:

TxSquarebody said:

Take another look.

That ain't a Flat 4

Flat 4:

I was suggesting the technology. Upon closer inspection... that does look new-er.

In which vehicle is that installed? Thanks!
CanyonAg77
AG
I don't think the opposed piston is installed in any current car. Obviously, flat engines are nothing new, have been in aviation for maybe a hundred years. in cars dating back to the VW Beetle and probably earlier.
CanyonAg77
AG
A little Googling tells me the opposed piston engine is as old as 1882. Not a typo, first was almost 140 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opposed-piston_engine

Was used in German diesel aircraft engines (1932)

And American subs in the 1940s and 1950s

Stat Monitor Repairman
I used to work on them things. Fairbanks Morse opposed piston engines.

There is an upper crankshaft and a lower crankshaft. An injector shoots fuel in the middle of the cylinder and the opposing pistons compress it.

No cylinder head. No valves. Massive blower and two massive turbos.

About the only thing that could go wrong is if you got some dirty fuel. The injectors would get worn down and leak. It was such a simple design that you gould rebuild and bench test the injectors on the spot with basic tools.

Also carbon buildup in the exhaust and turbos.

Would run on pretty much any kind of fuel. Diesel, JP5, MGO.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

I used to work on them things. Fairbanks Morse opposed piston engines.
What were they being used for?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Main propulsion engines on a ship.
drumboy
AG
The safety innovations are pretty cool I guess. And V6 family cars with 300+hp.

Oh and greatest innovation is DD EVs that have great performance.
agdoc2001
AG
Truck nutz
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Old Sarge
AG
Birds eye view cameras on my Tacoma (with several other vehicles) is pretty darn handy. Still a mirrors and judgement/feel guy, but it's a nice reference.

And who'd a thought that a little 1.25" seat jacker on the front of the seat bases would transform how a vehicle seat changes feel and sight?

The little things.....
gggmann
AG
There's been a lot of advancement in clear coats for matte finishes. They aren't ruined the 1st time a bird ****s on them now. The MB E class AMG gray matte looks really nice.
longeryak
Pickup bloat. All those suburban truck owners need one that is three time the size of those from 20 years ago.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Its insane how big trucks have gotten. Makes half tons from the late 90s look like Rangers / S10s. I blame Dodge, they started it all with their drastic new body style and **** escalated from there.
aggieforester05
AG
I guess I'm getting old, but I made it a point to get a 4x4 truck that was low to the ground this time and put running boards with bed steps. It's gotten so hard to reach anything in the beds that it's really taken away from the utility imo. I have to have 4x4 for my businesses, but no more big tires and leveling kits for me. The more cab and storage space the better on the other hand.

Something to add to this thread is high quality bed covers like the bakflip and lomax. So awesome to have a huge secure trunk that converts to open bed space easily.
ccolley68
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Its insane how big trucks have gotten. Makes half tons from the late 90s look like Rangers / S10s. I blame Dodge, they started it all with their drastic new body style and **** escalated from there.
I was in agreement with you for a while. But I took my kids to get donuts this morning. I have a stock 2014 F250 4WD. Guy parks next to my truck in a stock early 90's F350. I loved those trucks, so I gave it an extra look. And I distinctly remember thinking to myself how that truck was just as big as my truck. I mean, it's probably a little bigger, but this truck next to mine certainly didn't look like a Ranger.

And to keep things on track, the best innovation for me, and I would have never imagined this would be the case, is air conditioned seats. **** me I will never buy another vehicle ever without them. Heated seats don't do squat for me, but a/c seats are the cats meow.
FIDO*98*
AG

The Fife
The AUX radio input gets my vote. That time in the early 2000s between when tape decks disappeared and then really sucked if you used an MP3 player.

Otherwise there hasn't been a lot that I give a crap about since then. It's true that power has increased, but at the expense of manuals and cars that are light and low. Don't care about nannies or doing anything with my phone beyond playing music and inputting where I'm going into Waze either.

I do like the current Civic SI / Type R. If my car got totaled one of those would be the replacement.
TX_AG_10
AG
Portable Jump starters
OBD2 Code readers

Both of these aren't that new but really come in handy and I've benefited from them greatly!
EMY92
AG
Cooled seats get my vote this time of year.
PharmD4
AG
The evolution of headlights has been incredible IMO. Have you recently driven a car from the 90s or earlier years??? The beam is like 12 feet of faint amber glow. Driving at night must have been terrifying a few decades ago.

Of course the drawback is that now it's almost unbearable to drive on single lane highways with oncoming traffic.

TSW2012
AG
It's radar cruise control and it's not even close.
PharmD4
AG
TSW2012 said:

It's radar cruise control and it's not even close.
Squeezing 400+ HP out of a 2.0L 4 cylinder engine might be close...

ie the innovation being engine power/efficiency.
Pahdz
Heated steering wheel (I live in MN)
Mr. Dubi
Apple carplay.... and the marketing department of every manufacturer selling their cars as a phone accessory
SA-AG72
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I'm an old fart that has seen the transition from points to electronic ignition, to computer controlled ignition.

Same, from carbs to throttle body to computer injection.

The only other change that's been as significant in my time is longevity. A car with 50K miles used to be worn out. Now its routine to go 4-6x as long.

And I thought it was the cup holder.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Best invention:
  • Bluetooth integration with your phone
Worst inventions:
  • Backup Cameras - Everybody becomes super dependent and doesn't know how to backup any more
  • Navigation - People (kids) are so dependent now that logic and dead reckoning are just gone.
Worst enhancement to a recent invention:
  • Disabling Navigation menus while the vehicle is moving - even if it's the passenger trying to use it.
Flaith
AG
Koenigsegg Freevalve tech is super awesome.

That OPOC engine is super bad ass
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.