Wife decided she was taking my Land Rover

3,476 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Motot
knoxtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I had a 2018 Discovery HSE with the supercharger. Nice car, goes anywhere, gray with black wheels and cold weather package, which is nice up here in Colorado.

Last week my wife decided she didn't like her 2019 Tacoma TRD off road anymore and she wanted mine. Hers only had 10k miles. I told her sure even though the Tacoma was never my favorite. It just didn't do anything well. Sure it towed, but not much. It hauled, but not much, it got crappy gas mileage but who cares, it was ok inside but not nice, etc. Typical modern Toyota... does nothing really well.

So over the weekend I went and looked at the new Defender (didn't like it in person) then I traded her truck and got a 2020 Ram Laramie Crew Cab e-torque 5.7 with the off road package. Does everything hers did, just more of it.

Went ahead and got her daughter a Golf (pre-owned) while I was at it.

Hopefully this ends the car buying for a while, well unless someone has a late 60's Mustang they want rid of.
AgEng06
AG
I started counting your Rule #1 violations, but lost track by the end of your post.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Sounds like a long humblebrag
Aggietaco
AG
Except for the part where he admits to owning a disco.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Aggietaco said:

Except for the part where he admits to owning a disco.
GD it, I have coffee all over the damn desk now.
knoxtom
I am trying to upload images, but it is all different than it used to be.

Do you need a subscription to upload pics now, does imgur not work?
knoxtom
I will try again some other time, I have zero desire to subscribe to stuff to post a pic.
lawless89
Don't have to subscribe to post a pic. Subscribing just makes it easier.

You can use third party site like imgur or tiny pic to get a forum code when you upload your pic. Then just copy and paste.
drmwvr
AG
Or just upload a pic from your photo library using this button. Super easy nowadays. Note: this is using the mobile site on my iPhone
AgEng06
AG
You're a subscriber. OP is not. He doesn't have that upload option.
drmwvr
AG
AgEng06 said:

You're a subscriber. OP is not. He doesn't have that upload option.

Ahhhhh, makes sense! He needs to join TexAgs!
tk for tu juan
knoxtom said:

It just didn't do anything well.

It doesn't set itself on fire, that's one positive. Also guessing you never left the pavement...
ag09
AG
tk for tu juan said:

knoxtom said:

It just didn't do anything well.

It doesn't set itself on fire, that's one positive. Also guessing you never left the pavement...
Savage.
YouBet
AG
You were flaunting around in a Land Rover while she was driving a Taco.

I can't imagine what happened here.
robertcope
YouBet said:

Ha! My wife has been driving a 2008 Rabbit for 12 years now. Hasn't entertained the idea of a new car until recently. That said, now she has decided she wants an "adult" car. We went to look at 4Runners, and while there was a lot to like, she didn't think it was nice enough. Going to look at Acuras next, I think.
WildcatAg
AG
robertcope said:

We went to look at 4Runners, and while there was a lot to like, she didn't think it was nice enough.
GX460
knoxtom
YouBet said:

She had a Mercedes before the Tacoma, it was her choice. I don't car what she drives as long as it can handle a little snow and get up the driveway/curb thing.

The Tacoma wasn't nearly as good as the land rover off road. Rear wheels have no weight over them so they tend to spin out all the time, even with it in 4L. With the Disco, you just raise the air suspension, lock out the rear and go up pretty much anywhere you want. Discos are really good off road.

I will try to figure out the pic thing later today, been busy around here.
drumboy
AG
WildcatAg said:

robertcope said:

We went to look at 4Runners, and while there was a lot to like, she didn't think it was nice enough.
GX460
Nicer
4x4er
V8er
testosterbone
AG
Reads like a Barnes thread
Drip99
AG
robertcope said:

YouBet said:

Ha! My wife has been driving a 2008 Rabbit for 12 years now. Hasn't entertained the idea of a new car until recently. That said, now she has decided she wants an "adult" car. We went to look at 4Runners, and while there was a lot to like, she didn't think it was nice enough. Going to look at Acuras next, I think.
What model 4 runner? My wife was coming out of a minivan and wanted something that sat up higher and looked "sporty" (to her sporty means not like a sports car but a little rugged or non minivanish). She ended up with a 4 runner limited AWD and seems very happy so far. Does not have all the bells and whistles as the competition but fit her needs and mine (needs to last 10+ years with minor issues).
Drip99
AG
knoxtom said:

YouBet said:

She had a Mercedes before the Tacoma, it was her choice. I don't car what she drives as long as it can handle a little snow and get up the driveway/curb thing.

The Tacoma wasn't nearly as good as the land rover off road. Rear wheels have no weight over them so they tend to spin out all the time, even with it in 4L. With the Disco, you just raise the air suspension, lock out the rear and go up pretty much anywhere you want. Discos are really good off road.

I will try to figure out the pic thing later today, been busy around here.

That's somewhat surprising. Doesn't the trd off road have crawl control and e locker to assist with slippage?
FC12
He hates anything 4Runner or Tacoma. Same story, every thread.

Weird thread.
knoxtom

new truck in driveway

wife's ride now

Step daughter's new to her car

rule 1 on wife and son

Figured out imgur. Hope that satisfies all my Rule 1 obligations. I will be in the mountains this weekend and will try to get a better pic of the truck.
robertcope
JesusQuintana said:

robertcope said:

What model 4 runner? My wife was coming out of a minivan and wanted something that sat up higher and looked "sporty" (to her sporty means not like a sports car but a little rugged or non minivanish). She ended up with a 4 runner limited AWD and seems very happy so far. Does not have all the bells and whistles as the competition but fit her needs and mine (needs to last 10+ years with minor issues).
I think we looked at a Limited. Not sure if it had all the bells and whistles. It was nice, but not really luxury. But the 4Runner doesn't really pretend to play in the luxury space.

I like the RDX. I think it is more her style. We'll probably look at the Lexus and MB stuff, too.
knoxtom
Big hailstorm today, all 3 cars got hit. Not sure if they were big enough, biggest i saw was around golf ball sized. They seemed slushy so once the rain stops i will squeegee them and see.

Golf course thinks they lost all their greens. They are sending an army of kids with ball mark tools out tomorrow to see what they can fix
BBRex
AG
So no problems with the Disco? I like the looks of them and the new Defender, but the reliability issues have made me think twice.
knoxtom
The Golf got one huge ding before she got it in the garage. I was driving the Ram and missed most of the hail by skirting between the two storms. The Land Rover got pummeled twice, but it doesn't seem to have any dings.

As for reliability... The Land Rover is a 2018 and has never seen a shop except for oil changes and tire rotations. The stock tires wore out too fast, aside from that we haven't seen a single problem.

That being said, it is a CPO so I could get the longer warranty. I wasn't sure about the reliability either.

As for my "hatred" of Tacomas and 4runners... it is just that they don't do anything well at all. Their reliability lately is suspect with the fuel pump and airbag problems. They both slipped everywhere in the backcountry. Neither had any power. Neither towed much. They aren't very comfortable. Mileage sucks.

The LR has an 8200 lb towing capacity, the 4runner was 5k. The LR gets 22 mpg on a trip, the 4runner got 18-19. The LR has 330 hp at altitude, the 4runner had 270 at sea level and probably 230 at altitude. The LR has 8 speeds, the 4runner 5 speeds, you can sit in the LR's 3rd row, chop off your legs in the 4runners.

If you like classic cars, get a Tacoma or 4runner. Personally I think automotive engineers have accomplished a lot in the past 20 years and I won't buy a car using 20 year old technology in everything.
Motot
AG
If only there were groups that would review and publish the towing specs and mileage of a vehicle before purchasing it to discover these traits. There might be a real business opportunity there. If I were to start something like that I would call it Motor Trend or Consumer Reports or something of that nature.

I was similarly shocked to find that my previous Tacomas rode like mid nineties trucks and got subpar mileage.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.