Tips or selling privately?

1,739 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TxAggieBand85
My Dad Earl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm considering selling my Tahoe privately. Does anybody have experience going this route? The two important things I can gather from online research to keep myself safe are 1) getting a photo of their driver's license before riding with them on the test drive and 2) meeting at the bank to ensure the check is valid before transferring title.

Is there any other advice I should know?
drumboy
AG
I'd keep your plates so they don't rack tolls up in your name for several months.
Rice and Fries
My Dad Earl said:

I'm considering selling my Tahoe privately. Does anybody have experience going this route? The two important things I can gather from online research to keep myself safe are 1) getting a photo of their driver's license before riding with them on the test drive and 2) meeting at the bank to ensure the check is valid before transferring title.

Is there any other advice I should know?
Where are you located? Any details on the hoe? Been pseudo-looking for one.
Post removed:
by user
Mookie
AG
Keep your plates fo shizzle. If they try to talk you into letting them take them, decline. If it's a deal breaker then let them walk.

Do the VTR 346 online, fill out your portion of the 130-U before they arrive, and type up a quick little note that says no warranties, written or implied.

I generally take a pic of the license and hold onto their keys and let them go solo on the test drive b
tailgatetimer10
AG
I sold our last vehicle on craigslist in less than a day. Yes, do not respond to a "I will send you a code" text. Or anyone asking you for money wire.

Maybe I had an outlier experience.
tailgatetimer10
AG
I wish I would've taken the plates off our last sell. 2 months of toll bills before they changed the registration.

Fortunately i had the transfer and associated paperwork, so it basically wasted 20 min of my time. Not again though.
drumboy
AG
Try Facebook marketplace.
My Dad Earl
AG
Can you PM me or is there a better method of contact? It's not letting me send a message to you.
tailgatetimer10
AG
I've heard this is the way to go. I do not have a facebook though. This is the only think keeping me from listing my Z06 for sale, is dealing with people. Any other normal car wouldn't phase me.

Oh by the way, anyone interested in a z06?
Rice and Fries
My Dad Earl
AG
email sent
TxAggieBand85
AG
Sold my '03 Tahoe in 2018. I just put a For Sale sign on it and drove it until sold. New owner kept the plates and I let them drive / evalu on their own. But then I am the trusting type. Never had any toll issues.

Have sold several cars with a For Sale sign and just driving. Just almost never in a hurry to sell.

(Would have probably sold sooner as I got lots of calls on the East Loop (Houston) during commute time one day. Needed a Spanish speaking buddy that day, 4 or 5 calls)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.