What Wrangler should I get

4,319 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 91AggieLawyer
cledus6150
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have decided i want to get a second vehicle that will mainly be just a toy of sorts and will also be used for a deer lease vehicle. I have settled on a Wrangler but know that there are many Do's and Dont's with a wrangler. Do Oh wise Auto Board could you please assist me in my search of what i should be looking for. Oh and the Budget would be $10K but could up it just a bit if need be.
Picard
AG
$10k budget for the purchase or for the repairs?

cledus6150
AG
Ehh repairs are expected and acknowledged, kinda why I'd prefer to keep the 10K as the max to pay. Figuring a couple grad to fix or make it my own on top of that. Im pretty sure I want one in the 1997-2006 time frame with the 4.0L in-line 6. From there haven't made decisions as manual or auto is fine. I know there are some Jeep experts on here so looking for some advice. This was my dad's Jeep and I loved driving that thing around and it was great on the deer lease!
Flaith
AG
Do not buy a 4 cylinder YJ or TJ if you plan to drive it on city streets and highways.

Depending on how much you want to customize or upgrade, it is probably cheaper to buy one that has some of the stuff done to it already than it would be to do yourself: lift, gears, lockers, etc.

Aggietaco
AG
97-06 TJ with 5 spd and 4.0L
LOYAL AG
AG
I'm about two days from listing this for sale.

2005 LJ
4.0L
Auto
New BFG AT with warranty at Discount
Replaced AC last summer
143k miles give or take

Going to list it for $11k. For TexAgs $10k works.

Let me know if you're interested. I literally just took that picture for this post. I'll have more as we get it ready to sell.
cledus6150
AG
PM sent, very interested!
Aggietaco
AG
Add me next in line being interested.
Ag for Life
AG
Another (potentially) successful texags hookup!
Chrundle the Great
AG
LOYAL AG said:

2005 LJ
4.0L
Auto
Replaced AC last summer
143k miles give or take

Let me know if you're interested. I literally just took that picture for this post. I'll have more as we get it ready to sell.

Thank you for not pricing your LJ through the roof just because it's an LJ. There's one on Craigslist college station right now looking for 23k.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Chrundle the Great said:

LOYAL AG said:

2005 LJ
4.0L
Auto
Replaced AC last summer
143k miles give or take

Thank you for not pricing your LJ through the roof just because it's an LJ. There's one on Craigslist college station right now looking for 23k.
I was going to say, "dang he's practically giving it away!"

(to clarify: i am an LJ owner)
LOYAL AG
AG
Not to derail this thread but the 2005 LJ:

2005 LJ
4.0L I6
4-Speed Auto
143K miles
3.73 Front and Rear axles
Five new BFG AT with less than 1000 miles. Maybe less than 100. Warranty from Discount.
AC replaced last summer.
No visible mods. Skid plates show no marks other than a couple of minor scrapes so little indication it's been offroad.

Per CarFax
  • We're the 4th owner.
  • Two minor accidents and one "major" that was a side swipe per the report.
  • No prior title issues (meaning salvage, junk, flood, etc)

We've never taken it off roading. This was Jeep #3 for us and the first two got lots of off road time but this one never went. The prior owner said they never did either and since they lived in River Oaks I kind of believed it. Hard to find a place to wheel around there.

I'm going to get it detailed in the next couple of days then get it listed. Wasn't really ready to put it out there yet but here we are! LOL We bought it off of this board. Keeping it in the family!

Email is easier obviously.

jason@thebeasleygroup.com
cledus6150
FIDO*98*
AG
The 4.0L V6 is an Engineering Marvel.

I am constantly amazed at how a motor with that kind of displacement and uses more gas than any full size pickup I've owned produces so little power.
WildcatAg
AG
FIDO*98* said:

The 4.0L V6 is an Engineering Marvel.

I am constantly amazed at how a motor with that kind of displacement and uses more gas than any full size pickup I've owned produces so little power.

4.0 must be some type of prime binary imaginary engine number as the 4.0 in the 4 runner is similar. At least it makes more power.
Rexter
I bought this project in Feb for my kid, but he's decided he wants a car.

'01 TJ 4cyl 5sp

From th p/o: It was overheated and showed no oil pressure. Blew coolant out of the cap.

I had the engine pulled last month. There was no water in the oil, and just a few specks of brass in the pan. Head wasn't pulled so I don't know if it's good. Rebuild kit, machine work, and labor is about $1200
A long block with a 7yr/100K warranty is $1450. I was gonna go that way. I've already bought everything for the long block....radiator, t-stat, belt, hoses, distributor, wires, plugs, water pump, fan clutch, fan shroud...

It has a 3" suspension lift. Components have Skyjacker labels.
31x12.5-15 Cooper Discoverer AT tires with 80% tread.

I've got $3600 in it. I'll take a reasonable offer.

MouthBQ98
AG
190HP, 235Ft/lb torque, roughly.

It's old technology that isn't so refined and optimized as a modern engine. With good maintenance it will last and be fairly reliable, if a bit leaky. Modern engines are Efficient and powerful but there are so many things in them if they break, the vehicle is dead.
Street Fighter
AG
Flaith said:

Depending on how much you want to customize or upgrade, it is probably cheaper to buy one that has some of the stuff done to it already than it would be to do yourself: lift, gears, lockers, etc.

Buying something unmolested by bubba is the better way to go.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
DJ or GTFO
DeadCiv
AG
Watching. This thread has potential. Just wait until the Landcruiser guys show up.
wunderbrad01
AG
If that LJ were a manual, I'd be convincing the wife to get it and sell my 01 TJ.

Also, I get around 12 Mpg in my 4.0L Jeep. Slightly less than my F350 6.8L V10 that weighs twice as much.
Chrundle the Great
AG
Wish I could say I get better mileage out of my 2.5... same mileage 70 fewer horses.
java94
AG
I have a 2004 TJ Rubicon 4.0 Auto I'm getting ready to sell. Only 21K miles, but they are hard miles, mostly offroad, and I've led LoyalAg around BVORR many times in his JK...

Body is kinda rough, but i just put a new top on it. I'll try to get pics tomorrow. Thinking $8K is a good deal. In BCS.
cohibasymas
AG
java94 said:

I have a 2004 TJ Rubicon 4.0 Auto I'm getting ready to sell. Only 21K miles, but they are hard miles, mostly offroad, and I've led LoyalAg around BVORR many times in his JK...

Body is kinda rough, but i just put a new top on it. I'll try to get pics tomorrow. Thinking $8K is a good deal. In BCS.

That may be a steal
Rexter
Future son in law is wanting to sell his
'04 Wrangler X 4.0 5sp. 128k miles. Cold a/c, soft top, clutch done last year. Runs great. Clean title.

Known issues: small spot of rust under driver door on tub. Hasn't broke through the paint yet.
Feels like it needs shocks. Top is in good shape except for zippers on back end. Windshield has crack on passenger side.

$7500

Pix available tomorrow evening.
java94
AG
cohibasymas said:

That may be a steal

Yeah, I could probably get more for it, but it's rough and I know it needs some attention. It's been just sitting since I got a boat and started fishing, so I need to get rid of it.
cledus6150
AG
Thank you for all comments and thank you to LOYAL AG for a swift and easy transaction. Now the fun begins, adding accessories to it!!!

Schall 02
Aggietaco
AG
Glad you were 10 minutes quicker than me replying to LoyalAg so I didn't have to explain that to the wife.

Ag for Life
AG
Ag for Life said:

Another (potentially) successful texags hookup!

Another successful texags hookup!
Law361
AG
Following
BoDog
AG
Wait until the Broncos come out next year. They are kind of like a Jeep, but for men!
cledus6150
AG
A few upgrades to the Jeep, KC fog lights, Warn VR EVO-10 winch and an ARB bumper.
cledus6150
AG
Now comes the fun of figuring out what the best route is to go about putting 33's on it is. I already have a 1" body lift and figure I will need a 2.5-3" suspension lift as well. But don't know which lift I should go with or if I will need to re-gear to go with the 33's!
91AggieLawyer
AG
Picard said:

$10k budget for the purchase or for the repairs?

First time in a month I've rolled at a comment on here. Well done!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.