Window Tint Question

2,017 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AgEng06
LOYAL AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm about to get tint for my car and I'm curious as to the differences between film and ceramic other than price. I haven't talked much to the store we're using as this was a birthday gift but before I get it installed I thought I'd better know the differences. The car is a year old and I'll likely have it another 10 years or so. Price delta is about $200 v $500 for the film v lowest ceramic.

What's the difference and is it worth it?

Thanks!
BCStalk
Ceramic keeps the cabin cooler. I've noticed the difference, but I also have all windows done.
DeWrecking Crew
It's all about heat and UV rejection. If you don't care about that, and are just going for privacy and or looks then go with the tint. They have a hybrid out now that blocks IR as well.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
If you're in your car all day like I am, it's worth it.

I have 20% on front doors, 5% on rear doors and rear window over the privacy, and 70% on front windshield.

TSW2012
AG
I put ceramic on front windows and regular on the rest of the glass. Was a good in between option price wise.
texan12
How much does the windshield typically run and is it worth it?
Silvy
AG
I think typically $160 or so for ceramic, def worth it.
sushi94
AG
I had 50% put on the front windshield on accident - it looked damn good and kept the car cool but way too dark. Had it removed and put 70% on.
wargograw
I'm a tint installer in Austin. Is the $200 option ceramic? That's dirt cheap. What brand of film is this?

Most places are charging around $300 for ceramic. That's probably the best value price. Some are charging $500+ for elite-level nano ceramic stuff which is awesome, but if you don't want to pay for that, a $300ish ceramic will do.

Don't get dyed film unless all you care about is privacy and nothing else. It does virtually nothing.

Also, spring for the windshield!
kansas02gt
AG
I just paid $500 cash for 20% all around and 70 on windshield on F150. Definitely notice the cooler cabin as my truck stays outside all day; also have a suncover shield that stays up when parked in driveway.

Better than just tint, which I have done on all my other cars. Black interior can be a PITA, but the ceramic definitely helps. Effectively eliminates the rear thigh burn upon entry with a dress or shorts.

About to do it on the new ride also.

Will definitely say there is some difference in visibility at night with the windshield ceramic tho. Not much, just takes some getting used to.
Foamcows
AG
very jealous of these prices. Getting the windshield of my model X done, and its 600 just for the windshield.

I checked around, most places cant do it in a single piece, and for the few that can, 600 was the best price i could find some someone that i could verify their reviews.

AgEng06
AG
Wow. Where are you located?

I had my whole crew cab truck done last year in ceramic for $510 (4 windows, rear, sunroof, brow, windshield).
txyaloo
AG
AgEng06 said:

Wow. Where are you located?

I had my whole crew cab truck done last year in ceramic for $510 (4 windows, rear, sunroof, brow, windshield).
Model X windshield is huge. Larger than a normal vehicle windshield since it ends directly above the front seats. I suspect it needs a special width film to be able to do it with one piece. Niche stuff is always more expensive
El_Guero512
I had my 2019 F150 this past weekend. I went with Jorge from Best window tinting shop in Cedar Park. He charged me 380 dollars for IRX ceramic 20% front windows 5% rear door windows and rear window and charged me 15 dollars to remove the cheap dealer tint. I also had him do the front windshield with Air 80 last year. It makes a huge difference now in my truck with black interior.
AgEng06
AG
Yeah, good point.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.