VW Atlas owners

2,503 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Silvy
jwright4288
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody on here have a VW atlas?

My wife and I are having twins soon and looking at a 3 row suv (no we don't want a minivan). Wife has it between the Toyota Highlander and the Atlas now.

Looking at a 19 for the Atlas they have the better warranty then the 20+ and I don't want the first model year.

Main concern with the atlas is reliability so wanted to see if any of y'all have had good/bad experiences with these.
Fairview
AG
I can't speak to reliability but my neighbors have one and I had to ride in the back seat in it. It was one of the roomiest backseats I have been in outside of a Superduty. I was pretty impressed with it. Seems like a good car for car seats because of that.
GTIAG09
AG
We really liked the Atlas, but ruled it out because we wanted a 3 row that had ac vents in the roof to help keep the kiddos in rear facing car seats cool in the Texas heat. Ended up with a 2017 Explorer for that reason...and for what we were getting at the price we paid. Not sure if rear vent placement has changed since we looked in late 2017, but something to consider.
TopFlightReject
Just picked up a 2021 Atlas SEL Premium with the V6 about a month ago. Same reason as you, we are acquiring another child here in the next few weeks and wanted a 3 row but the wife didnt want a Tahoe/Yukon/Explorer etc.

We came from a 2018 Audi Q5 and a 2016 VW CC before that so my wife loves her some German engineering. The new 2021 SELs have the fully digital instrument cluster like the Q5 has and some better lines on the exterior styling (just personal preference to us really) from the previous year models.

Will agree with what another poster said in that the backseats are super spacious. We went with the captain chairs in the middle row. They both fold flat and will move forward/back and recline. I'm 6'3" and can sit in the 3rd row if I had to.

Also the 2019 Highlander is not Apple Carplay nor Android Auto capable but i believe the 2020s are.. if you're into that sort of thing.

The SEL that we got comes with built in pull up shades in the passenger doors for the kiddos and the AC in that sucker will turn it into an iceberg in the cabin.

Even though we've had it a month its been a great vehicle. It handles well and doesnt feel like a huge SUV either.

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
This is the only thing that scares me on the atlas.
jwright4288
AG
Yeah I've looked at on CR. I got a year of CR when we started looking but I'm not sure about a lot of the reliability scores. Most of the vehicles that me/family have driven problem free for years have 1's for reliability overall.
jwright4288
AG
Thanks for the comments. Glad you mentioned the Android/Apple car play. While those aren't a deal breaker by them selves it's seen like a symptom of my biggest gripe with Highlander. It just seems old/slightly out of date compared to most other vehicles. I know that's a thing on tundras as well so I guess that's just a Toyota thing.
TopFlightReject
Saw that too when we were looking.

Based on ours and families ownership history with VWs (the CC and a few Jettas) we felt comfortable with it. I always told my wife i'm leary about a VW out of warranty.

(This coming from a guy who owned a 6.4 F250 out of warranty haha)
SteveA
AG
I have a VW GTI and love it but it's been in the shop at least 10 times for various issues. VW has that warranty because they need it. I would buy a highlander or pilot.
V8Aggie
AG
We have a 2016 Tiguan and have nothing but good things to say about.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
TopFlightReject said:

Brave man
pdawg10384
AG
They are never the highest rated for some reason but I've always loved them. Talked my mom into getting one and she has loved hers for 2 years. Not a single issue. Something about the VW/Audi vehicles that once you have one it's hard to drive anything else.
JSKolache
AG
All together for new guy in the back ....NEVER BUY A VOLKSWAGEN.
'03ag
jwright4288 said:

Thanks for the comments. Glad you mentioned the Android/Apple car play. While those aren't a deal breaker by them selves it's seen like a symptom of my biggest gripe with Highlander. It just seems old/slightly out of date compared to most other vehicles. I know that's a thing on tundras as well so I guess that's just a Toyota thing.
The 2020 Highlander is fully updated. Car play and android auto. Unfortunately I haven't been in one, but on styling at least, it's the first Highlander I would buy myself. Never been a fan before.

Oil consumption on the 2.0T is something VAG still hasn't satisfactorily addressed in my opinion. I've had several Audis and I love them but that really annoys me.

I still think the Telluride is the best in this segment.
Aggiejue
AG
Owner of a 2019 SEL Premium purchased new in May 2019 and currently has 10,500 miles. Within 5 months of ownership, the infotainment system went dark and the replacement wasn't received for about a month. After 2 weeks, a loaner was provided due to a pissed off wife.

About a month ago, the radiator took a hit from a rock while driving down the interstate causing a coolant leak. This wasn't cover by the warranty due to an external object causing the puncture. Fortunately, USAA covered the damage so I was only out a deductible. In addition, the remote start works about 95% of the time.

On the bright side, we receive plenty of compliments and it's roomy for a family of 5, including a teenager, toddler and infant. I have to agree that the AC blows extremely cold.
Aggiejue
Mookie
AG
My good friend is in the car biz with me. Bought an atlas last year and it lemon lawed on him. Now has a pilot.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
'03ag said:

jwright4288 said:

The 2020 Highlander is fully updated. Car play and android auto. Unfortunately I haven't been in one, but on styling at least, it's the first Highlander I would buy myself. Never been a fan before.

Oil consumption on the 2.0T is something VAG still hasn't satisfactorily addressed in my opinion. I've had several Audis and I love them but that really annoys me.

I still think the Telluride is the best in this segment.
I still read about people with 2.0Ts drinking oil......even as new as 2017.
TopFlightReject
1agswitchin4lanes said:

TopFlightReject said:

Brave man
She was tuned, deleted, studded, upgraded turbos, whole nine yards. Ran like a scalded ape. But if a zip tie were to break on the darn thing the cab is coming off. Over the last couple years that I had it I was was averaging more per month in repair bills than the original note payments were.

I remember when we traded it in to get my wife's Q5. I was done with it at that point and glad to see it go. I got a phone call the day after the trade from a mechanic at Sewell Audi wanting to know what kind of juice was in that thing. I just told him to treat her nice then hung up and wept silently. lol. I still miss that truck.
Duncan Idaho
I had one for a week as a rental...it was no minivan but it wasnt bad.
AggieFrog
AG
Wife has a Highlander now and likes it. As a father of twins which then quickly became 3 under the age of 2, minivans aren't sexy but they're VERY useful and practical with multiple car seats. We had an Odyssey for several years and trying to deal with littles and stuff would have been much more difficult with an SUV. I know you say you've ruled them out but I'd try one with car seats before excluding them. Friends of ours said the same until #3 arrived.
Post removed:
by user
Rexter
TopFlightReject said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

TopFlightReject said:

Brave man
She was tuned, deleted, studded, upgraded turbos, whole nine yards. Ran like a scalded ape. But if a zip tie were to break on the darn thing the cab is coming off. Over the last couple years that I had it I was was averaging more per month in repair bills than the original note payments were.

I remember when we traded it in to get my wife's Q5. I was done with it at that point and glad to see it go. I got a phone call the day after the trade from a mechanic at Sewell Audi wanting to know what kind of juice was in that thing. I just told him to treat her nice then hung up and wept silently. lol. I still miss that truck.

My '08 was tuned/deleted only. XRT Pro running the 250 horse from 100-140K miles. . I worked it hard every day. Playing around saw 50lbs+ boost a few times, but never had an issue. The current owner babies it, and has had it go into limp mode several times. He just clears it and goes on. I'm a firm believer in if you work a 6.4 pretty hard, it keeps the issues away.
agdaddy04
AG
We have an '18 Atlas and wife loves it. Hasn't had any trouble at all, except I'm not a huge fan of the early shift points. But it's her car so I'm fine with it.
jwright4288
AG
Thanks all for the replies. Purchased a 2019 atlas SE w/technology AWD on Friday. Wasn't able to take it to my local mechanic until but all checked out today so it's here to stay.

The warranty will get me through the next 4 years and if we have to use it a ton up to that point we can move on to something else.

My wife loves it, and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Only (minor) thing I don't like is the lack of memory seats on this trim. Here's hoping it'll be issue free.

https://imgur.com/a/HCezBHR
jwright4288
AG
I have definitely noticed the same. I'm in the same boat, not my car so no big deal.
Post removed:
by user
Silvy
AG
JSKolache said:

All together for new guy in the back ....NEVER BUY A VOLKSWAGEN.
you tryna catch these hands?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.