2020 Chevrolet 3.0 Duramax

9,580 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BigNastyNate
GentrysMillTX10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just took delivery...showing 27+ mpg already - even in a Z71 with RanchHand accessories. I love driving this little inline 6 cylinder diesel. I'm excited to see how the little engine performs long term.

aggieforester05
AG
Very nice! Definitely the most powerful if the diesel half tons. Looks like they're fun to drive too. Straight six is the proper configuration for a diesel. For comparison I just took delivery of my 6.2L three days ago and it's averaging 17, but will do about 20 at highway speeds.
Burdizzo
AG
Check your fuel mileage the old fashioned way and compare it to what your truck computer calculates.

I don't know about GM, but the one in my Ford never matches. The computer is almost always a better number than what I calculate when I fill up.
TxSquarebody
Very cool! Wonder how well that engine will fit in a squarebody???
Corps_Ag12
AG
Does it require DEF?
TdoubleH
AG
TxSquarebody said:

Very cool! Wonder how well that engine will fit in a squarebody???

This. Take my money.
aggolfer
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

Does it require DEF?
Yep
Furlock Bones
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

Does it require DEF?

They all do now.
Grown Pear
AG
Congrats! Great looking truck.

I am now 8500 miles into my 3.0L and love it now as much as the day I picked it up. The low end torque and power is absolutely amazing. And 10-speed transmission is smooth as silk.

Have made quite a few long highway trips and it's been a blast watching the mileage. Highway averages above 30 mpg going in low-mid 60's... 70-75 mph I'm seeing between 25-28 mpg and still see 20 mpg going 80+.

I highly recommend ordering the Auto Start/Stop Eliminator online. It's a small module you attach behind the start/stop "feature" and remembers your last setting as Off instead of automatically turning back on when you start the truck.
GentrysMillTX10
AG
Grown Pear said:

Congrats! Great looking truck.

I am now 8500 miles into my 3.0L and love it now as much as the day I picked it up. The low end torque and power is absolutely amazing. And 10-speed transmission is smooth as silk.

Have made quite a few long highway trips and it's been a blast watching the mileage. Highway averages above 30 mpg going in low-mid 60's... 70-75 mph I'm seeing between 25-28 mpg and still see 20 mpg going 80+.

I highly recommend ordering the Auto Start/Stop Eliminator online. It's a small module you attach behind the start/stop "feature" and remembers your last setting as Off instead of automatically turning back on when you start the truck.

Glad to hear & thanks for the tip!
GentrysMillTX10
AG
First hand calculated fill up showed 25.8 mpg. Conditions weren't exactly ideal for mpg either. This engine & transmission combo continue to be flawless and a pleasure to drive
TSJ
AG
How big is the tank and how many miles are you getting between full ups?

Please keep us updated. This is may be the 1/2 ton diesel of choice.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Should be 24gal which is the same as the gas version. 24gal on the 6.2 is the only thing I find annoying about my AT4.
Furlock Bones
AG
TitanAGGIE09 said:

Should be 24gal which is the same as the gas version. 24gal on the 6.2 is the only thing I find annoying about my AT4.
hell, try a 26 gal tank on a 2500 6.0 gasser that gets 12-13 mpg. absolutely ridiculous.
AgEng06
AG
Grown Pear said:

The low end torque and power is absolutely amazing.

You should feel it in the 6.6L.

Seriously though, glad to hear these engines/trucks are being well-reviewed.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Furlock Bones said:

TitanAGGIE09 said:

hell, try a 26 gal tank on a 2500 6.0 gasser that gets 12-13 mpg. absolutely ridiculous.
http://titanfueltanks.com/products/xxl-replacement-tanks
GentrysMillTX10
AG
26mpg flat

Yes it's the smaller fuel tank. If I didn't get 25+ mpg I would be mad about it

notex
AG
I think the smaller tank is good as it leads to less condensation/water build up for folks who don't drive it as much (if it were below a quarter tank for a couple weeks, as an example).

For fleet buyer reasons I think all the mfg's try to limit range to something like 500 miles or less, also (not sure exactly, but I've read something about that).
firetrout
AG
Great truck. I put 24k miles on mine in 8 months, great highway motor and did anything I asked it to. Mine looked just like the OP, white with Ranchhand replacements. I also added a leveling kit. It should be for sale at Ron carter in Alvin. We ordered a larger RV that was more than the 1/2 ton capacities so I got a 2020 F250 Tremor.
GentrysMillTX10
AG
CEL came on Saturday before last. Took it in. 15 codes in the computer all related to failed communication. Dealer slapped a battery in it, did a recall, and returned it to my house. Dealer said it's their 4th battery to replace on a 3.0 duramax.

You can see my mpg dipped when the CEL came on. Crazy to think 23mpg was when it dropped. I've had the truck back for a full tank now and back to 26.7mpg. Lifetime hand calculated average remains 25.5mpg. My commute is across Parker and tarrant counties everyday. It's 77mph or traffic. Very pleased to get 26+ in these conditions.
harge57
AG
I'm torn between this truck and the the new 6.6 gasser.
AgsWin2011
AG
I'm curious how this compares to the new Ram Ecodiesel. I currently have a 2015 F150 Ecoboost but am planning on getting a new truck within the next 6-12 months. Right now it's fair game with what I choose but I'm leaning half ton diesel.

I've owned Chevy, Ford and Toyota. All have been good. Never owned Dodge/Ram.
Grown Pear
AG
Recently completed a 2400 mile round trip up to Colorado/Northern New Mexico and was the first time towing the trailer a good distance. 23' 5800 lb.

Was very impressed with the 3.0L Duramax. I hand calculated total trip MPG of a little over 15 mpg. That was about 2100 miles of pure towing (mostly high 60 to high 70 mph speeds) the other 300 miles were unhooked and included a fun "trail" up in the mountains. I say "trail" because a minivan could have made it no problem

harge57
AG
Awesome. I bet that diesel is way more fun to tow with than a gasser.
Grown Pear
AG
I keep coming back to this and admiring your Ranch Hand. It looks great. Thoughts on it after driving For a while?

I'd like to add this but not sure if I want to give up any more payload. Would give me lots of comfort if a deer ran out in front of me though bc I won't be slowing down much with 6k attached to me
GentrysMillTX10
AG
Grown Pear said:

I keep coming back to this and admiring your Ranch Hand. It looks great. Thoughts on it after driving For a while?

I'd like to add this but not sure if I want to give up any more payload. Would give me lots of comfort if a deer ran out in front of me though bc I won't be slowing down much with 6k attached to me

I commute 124 miles round trip everyday in my little duramax. The only time I drove it without the RanchHand was the dealer test drive so I don't really recall what it drove like pre-RanchHand. I do have a bit of a bounce in the front end on some bumps on 820 and I-30. I don't know if it has anything to do with the RanchHand or not but it is noticeable.

Also note that my RanchHand is the Summit series and does NOT have any heavy pipe in it. The vertical pieces are think plate and the rest of it is braced diamond plate or the tubular "grill" portion. I say that because it's not super heavy but then again it's still not light. I have the RanchHand for deer deflection. I drive highway 16 from comanche to Goldthwaite. It's dang near a requirement. I have RanchHand steps too. My wife is 4'11" so that's a requirement for us...and a former set of RanchHand steps took the legs out of from under a deer to soften to impact on the bed. I wiped deer snot off the rear quarter panel and a chunk of flesh off of a step but no body dents.

Allllll of that said, my last fill up was hand calculated at 27.7mpg during my commuting...so I have no regrets going with the RanchHand products.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Fellow Airstream owner? We have a 2019 25' Flying Cloud.
harge57
AG
So I see a bunch of people worried about rear placement of oil pump belt and timing chain.

When it actually comes to it what would be the cost of servicing those? 1k?
GentrysMillTX10
AG
harge57 said:

So I see a bunch of people worried about rear placement of oil pump belt and timing chain.

Had my first oil change today, took it to a dealer. Not where I bought it for the record. Paperwork said 15w40. I said nope. Dealer claims the right oil is in my truck just the parts clerk entered the wrong oil code. First oil change free so whatever it's on them. Anyway, I asked about the 100k oil pump belt service just to get a price. No one knew what I was talking about. I waited 15 minutes and still nothing. I left the dealer and they were supposed to call me when they found out. Never called.

I don't think I'll have my 3.0 duramax serviced there again. Bruce Lowrie in Fort Worth. Although they did have a 3.0 duramax Texas edition Z71 priced at $42k on the lot.
Corps_Ag12
AG
I'd never buy a truck there. That place is stocked with idiots.

Moritz is a much better option. At least most of those guys have been there over a couple years.
GentrysMillTX10
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

I'd never buy a truck there. That place is stocked with idiots.

Moritz is a much better option. At least most of those guys have been there over a couple years.

Moritz couldn't tell me on the phone If they had oil for the 3.0 in stock and never called back either...so I went to Bruce Lowrie. I'm gonna try Jerry's in Weatherford next time but will have to schedule it a week out.
GentrysMillTX10
AG
harge57 said:

Bruce Lowry pays attention to their customer surveys apparently. They called me back this morning.

The GM internal website does not have a listed price for the oil pump belt service. The service advisor estimated $2,000 to service the oil pump belt. He did clarify GM says 150,000 miles OR 15 years is the service life on that belt.
Slamn Sharpe
Its not a real truck unless it has the Ford tough death wobble
GarryowenAg
AG
Hit up Jerry's in Weatherford. That's where I bought my 3L GMC AT4. They seem to have their act together compared to the other dealerships in Fort Worth.
Grown Pear
AG
Checking back in on how you're still liking your truck!

Also, I keep thinking about your front Ranch Hand. I'm struggling/debating with myself if I should get the full bumper replacement or just the grill guard or nothing at all yet. And it's hard to find many good pictures online for the '20 1500

Would you mind posting some more pictures of the front end. Like dead on looking right at it and some more from the side or angle? Thanks!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.