2013 f150 5.0 valve issues

1,669 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by G. hirsutum Ag
G. hirsutum Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
121k on the vehicle. Seemed to be running fine until last week when it started misfiring on 7&8. Replaced all spark plugs and the coils on 7&8 and it was a little better but not great. Took to mechanic and he mentioned possible valve issues but wanted to try to clean the valves first. Ran mostly fine Monday and almost all day Tuesday but then lost pretty much all the power and started missing really bad. Going to get a compression test done today but most likely will have to get the valves done. Mechanic said 2600 for it but says it will fix it and should run for a long time. Anyone have any experience with this? Thoughts on price? I can't sell the truck as is. Don't mind spending money if it fixes it and I can get another 75k out of it.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Did he use his computer to perform a Cylinder Contribution test?

Saying it "needs valves" without opening the engine is pretty gutsy.

It could be clogged fuel injectors, a wiring issue, etc.

Really need to run a KOEO and KOER test, and CCB to find out whats going on.

Shooting from the hip saying it needs a valve job with ZERO proof sounds like your mechanics boat payment is due this month.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Doing some searching around it's a common issue on the 5.0s. I failed a compression test on 3 cylinders and he ran a scope inside and could see the valves not seating.
aggieforester05
AG
5.0s are known to burn up valves if you do a lot of idling.
fixer
Compression check then go from there.

Could be wiring to the coils, injector, or even valve spring or follower slipped off.

Lots of things before valve job is discussed.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Update:

Failed compression on 3 cylinders by 30 psi. Sent off to machine shop and compression fixed. Still missing on 7 at idle. New injector added, didn't fix. Tried to relearn crank and reflash, couldn't get it work. Now mechanic replaced the cam phasers and got it retimed. Took it to the gas station ran fine there and then got on it and it went limp again missing on 7 and 8. Been in the shop for 3 straight weeks. Ideas? I'm about to drive it into a train
Silvy
AG
IB4 LS swap
aggieforester05
AG
Sounds like you've found the solution. I'd recommend the old brick on the accelerator trick, because you don't want to be too close to the train when you jump out.
chimpanzee
silverado_lover said:

IB4 LS swap
Ford needs to admit defeat, scale down the new 7.3L to small block bore spacing and have a competitive V8 again.
sts7049
AG
i think you need a new mechanic
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Fords are great...under warranty. Had the eco and 5.0. I ran far far away.
agdaddy04
AG
O'Doyle Rules said:

Have had the opposite experience. Last one was an 06 and made it to 194,000 before and accident totaled it out but only did oil changes, battery, tires. My 12 5.0 is now at 170,000 and doing fine.
Strongwind86
AG
O'Doyle Rules said:

2001 with the 5.4 (new) - 180,000+ miles zero issues sold in 2009
2007 with the 5.4 (used) - 180,000+ miles - occasional coil pack would go bad last year I owned it
2016 with the 5.0 (new) - currently at 70,000 miles zero issues
HumbleAg04
AG
2019 3.5L Ecoboost Cam phasers replaced at 12k miles. Rattle back on cold starts at 20k miles.

They have an issue. Not everyone is lucky enough to enjoy it, but Ford has an issue.

G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Figured it out!! Mechanic feels really dumb for missing it but the valves being bad plugged up the catalytic converter on the driver side. Should have it back in a day or two. When it first started missing I had driven from the coast to central Texas and had a big elevation change. The computer couldn't change the fuel ratio well and it started going down hill from there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.