Katzkin Leather Opinions?

11,371 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by RC_57
txyaloo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bam02 said:

Please report back on your install experience. I have been wanting to do this myself.
If they're anything like OE covers, they won't be terribly difficult to install. I've done two newer OE replacements on 2005+ cars that had no hog rings. Was super simple to put on. The 2nd one definitely went faster than the first. I think the first set took me ~4 hours to do. The 2nd I finished in under an hour which included pulling the seats from the vehicle.

I've done one OE style replacement on a 90s vehicle that had more of a learning curve since those used hog rings. The Seat Shop on youtube has pretty good step by step videos showing the seat disassembly and install process for most popular vehicles.
DeWrecking Crew
Amazon....$560
DeWrecking Crew
Well AB, I did the Katzkin install this weekend. What a PITA. Those clips instead of the hog rings look so easy right? They might be, but they are still a major pain in the rear. They don't clip in as easy as YouTube would have you believe. My hands and fingers cramped up 3 times. I went to the school of hard knocks on this one, but learned a lot about what not to do, and some tips that I figured out ( towards the end of course).

First, and foremost, forget any notion you had of trying to keep the original coverings. I started off trying to remove the original covers by keeping them intact in case I ever needed them, I did the back 60 this way, and holly hell was that a nightmare. I just cut the rest of them with a razor and it made a 1000% difference. Second, leave the leather in the sun until you are ready to use. Third, there are some videos out there that have you leave the seat together, I found disassembling them into upper and lowers makes it easier. And my last tip that I learned way too late in the process is to find something to use in place of your fingers for pushing the clips in. Obviously, find something blunt so you won't damage the leather. I used an old iron pry bar, it made a dramatic difference in ease of installation. And along those same lines, find something hard to support the underneath of the foam when inserting into the clips, I used a large rubber mallet. If I had the pry bar and mallet from the beginning it would have easily cut my time in half. On the headrests, they might have a plastic bag on the inside of the originals, keep those bags, they make it much easier to install the foam (they make is slick). Total time taken, 19 beers. On a scale of 1-10 in terms of knowledge difficulty, I'll give it a 6, watch the videos and you'll be good,(just be sure not to leave the airbag cable in the back before you button it up, I'll blame that one on the beer). In terms of physically, I'll give it an 8.5, this install flat wore my fingers and hands out, was much harder than I imagined, the hand cramps were brutal, didn't help that it had to be 100 degrees in my shop this weekend. If you're going to do it, leave yourself a free weekend. Tools needed, cordless impact drill, 13 mm, 18mm, 15mm, T50, T30, T15, T25, upholstery trim tools, razor blades, needle nose pliers to pull zippers, and if you so choose the two tools discussed earlier and pictured here.

DeWrecking Crew
Before and after of the back, and one of the front

Matsui
AG
Wow! So much better!! Awesome. Congrats.
mt3950
AG
How does the black of the leather match the black factory console color?
txyaloo
AG
Looks fantastic.

Does anyone know if Katzkin will make covers without their tag on the cushion? Not a fan of manufacturer advertisements like that
DeWrecking Crew
mt3950 said:

How does the black of the leather match the black factory console color?
It's close enough for the girls I go with. (I honestly can't tell any difference although I'm sure there is). The kit did come with stuff to do both the jumper seat in case anyone was wondering. Speaking of, I've got a like-new (truck has 5500 miles) jumper seat/console if anyone is wanting to switch out the other way, will include the Katzkin leather (raw material, not installed). $150 plus shipping, located in B/CS area
DeWrecking Crew
txyaloo said:

Looks fantastic.

Does anyone know if Katzkin will make covers without their tag on the cushion? Not a fan of manufacturer advertisements like that
I briefly entertained the thought of cutting it off and sewing on my own, took it to my MIL who was a seamstress at one point in her life, she said it would be easy if I could find the matching thread, she still has all the equipment. At the end of the day I just wasn't that motivated, it's not like Katzkin has a bad name
drewbie
AG
DeWrecking Crew said:

Before and after of the back, and one of the front

Seats look awesome!

You helped me realize that I probably should go with neosupreme over katzkin. Katzkin looks better but the free hundred bucks saved in price and possibly having to pay for install (because I wouldn't have the patience or skills) is pushing my to neosupreme.
Whoop Delecto
AG
Grown Pear
AG
Agree with others, Katzkin is legit and I would go straight to the 'specialty' shop in lieu of the dealership.

Had my wifes '06 Tahoe Z71 redone with new Katzkin by Texas Auto Trim on Bissonnet in Houston. Fantastic job, it looks beautiful. I can't remember the cost for front bucket seats, arm rests and full rear bench but it was in the 1200-1400 ballpark I believe.
dodger02
AG
What's the color combo on those seats?

I'm seeing black, stone, and bisque.
Enviroag02
AG
Just dropped off my truck for a Katzkin install tomorrow. Pics to come!
Enviroag02
AG
Got my truck back from the Katzkin install. I had to do my console lid myself as the shop couldnt figure out how to take the lid off. They dont typically do non factory leather colors so they usually just leave the console lid black. I love it! Before and after pics.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
Whoop Delecto
AG
Mookie
AG
one of the nicer ones i have seen, nice choice on the color.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Looks great.

I hate how OEMS make cloth look and feel so ****ty that you have to move up to leather,
Enviroag02
AG
Thanks! The seats in the new Silverado are pretty dang stiff but atleast now they feel better with the Katzkin. I think they feel a bit less stiff but the wife doesn't think so. The place that did mine does 5 full Katzkin installs per day. $1150 out the door.
maroon barchetta
Bumping this thread.

I've emailed Katzkin to see if they have something to help me because their site doesn't show anything for my truck.

2000 Tundra

If Katzkin isn't available, who else would be a good resource? Drivers seat is really worn. Passenger seat is not as bad but I would get both done since the leather isn't getting any younger.

And who is the current best option for installs? I could travel a bit for this. Houston/Katy/Aggieland/Austin/maybe DFW.
will.mcg
AG
I emailed them in the past few years about a 1996 truck & they said they could oblige.
maroon barchetta
I'll see what they say! Thanks for the info.
RC_57
AG
Bookmarked, for the Houston area shops listed
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.