Cabin air filter problem

2,638 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by turfman80
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This probably sounds stupid, but my cabin air filter keeps collapsing and getting chewed up by my blower motor. It's like it gets sucked into the blower motor, and then I get a high pitched whining like a turbine engine preparing for takeoff. Every time I replace it, it has a huge hole in the center from the fan. The last time I replaced it, I checked it after a few hours of driving and it already looked like the folds were collapsing from a huge issue differential. I even double checked the airflow direction and proper way to insert it, and it's definitely in right. The intakes for cabin air are clean and cleared of debris.

Thoughts?
DeWrecking Crew
ABATTBQ11 said:

This probably sounds stupid, but my cabin air filter keeps collapsing and getting chewed up by my blower motor. It's like it gets sucked into the blower motor, and then I get a high pitched whining like a turbine engine preparing for takeoff. Every time I replace it, it has a huge hole in the center from the fan. The last time I replaced it, I checked it after a few hours of driving and it already looked like the folds were collapsing from a huge issue differential. I even double checked the airflow direction and proper way to insert it, and it's definitely in right. The intakes for cabin air are clean and cleared of debris.

Thoughts?

My initial thought is operator error...other than that I have no clue how you are accomplishing this. What vehicle?
ABATTBQ11
AG
2013 Tacoma. That was my first thought too.

I've checked everything I can think of. Definitely in the right direction. Definitely the right orientation. OEM Denso filter. It's a freaking air filter. It shouldn't be difficult.

Only thing I can think of is some kind of blockage in the intake that creates a pressure differential that causes it to collapse.
DeWrecking Crew
I keep getting errors trying to respond to your post. Anyway, my only WAG is your glove box is too full. When in recirc mode, the intake is coming from the glove box, about two inches above the filter, if it's too full it could potentially cause a restriction, but that's a huge stretch... other than that, operator error, like using the wrong filter.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I'll clear the glove box, but it's just user manual and some warranty receipts for tires and such. That does make some sense because I keep it in recirc.

Definitely the right filter. Same Denso part #.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I'll clear the glove box, but it's just user manual and some warranty receipts for tires and such. That does make some sense because I keep it in recirc.

Definitely the right filter. Same Denso part #. Keep thinking I must be doing something stupid, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is.
DeWrecking Crew
Just to confirm...arrow is facing down, right?
sts7049
AG
if you switch it out of recirc does it work normal? if so that's probably a clue.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Are you using a good filter or some aftermarket amazon filter?

ABATTBQ11
AG
Correct
ABATTBQ11
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Denso
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
How odd

have you checked your wiper cowl for obstruction?
Mr. Dubi
ABATTBQ11 said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Denso
We replaced the filter with a Bosch in Dubi's old Santa Fe. It made the sounds described above, so we replaced again with OE and had no issues. We did not leave in long enough to see if the Bosch filter collapsed.
dubi
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Denso
We replaced the filter with a Bosch Hepa in Dubi's old Santa Fe. It made the sounds described above, so we replaced again with OE and had no issues. We did not leave in long enough to see if the Bosch filter collapsed.

Damn hepa filter was just too dense for the air to properly flow.

The instant Mr Dubi replaced it with OEM Hyundai filter all was ok with the world again!
DeWrecking Crew
Are you the original owner? Are you sure the stock blower is in there and not an aftermarket?
Picard
AG
Do you fart in there a lot? Could be from that.

ABATTBQ11
AG
Original owner. Definitely the original blower motor.

Dash cowl is clear, but it doesn't always stay that way thanks to the two live oaks in the driveway. Might just need to clean it out more often.
turfman80
AG
Ive got a Tacoma. Go with any of the NAPA filters that fit.Never had a problem
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.