Taco Tuesday! - Rule #1

2,150 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by FC12
Its Not Rocket Surgery
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After nearly 10 years and 200K miles of good and faithful service I traded my Tundra in for something that uses (somewhat) less gas and fits in my garage with room to spare. Didn't necessarily want a new one but the 2020 had a few features that made it worth it in the end. It should do everything I need it to and nothing I don't so hopefully the Taco will perform as well and last as long as the Tundra did...
Naveronski
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I love the grays they offer these days!

Did you get a 6 speed manual?
Its Not Rocket Surgery
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

6AT. Would have liked having a manual again but I do about 65-70% highway driving and wanted to maximize the gas mileage. Took a short trip this weekend and the gear hunting everyone complained about in earlier 3rd Gens seems to have been improved quite a bit. Only found it slightly annoying when hill climbing using cruise control.
Exsurge Domine
Awesome looking truck. Congrats
JB
AG
They are really good looking little pickup trucks.
mm98
AG
Very nice! How are you finding the "downsizing" for interior room? I'd like to get back into a mid-sized if I ever get out a sales role.
Its Not Rocket Surgery
AG
mm98 said:

Very nice! How are you finding the "downsizing" for interior room? I'd like to get back into a mid-sized once if I ever get out a sales role.
It's definitely not as cavernous as the Tundra was. Feels like it is about an inch or so narrower than my wife's Highlander. Obviously not as long on the inside either. Backseat room is good for kids probably into their early teens, adequate after that. We loaded quite a bit into it over the weekend. Probably used the bed to haul a little bit more than in the past as to not cramp the cabin, but everything fit with plenty of room to spare.
ItsA&InotA&M
Its Not Rocket Surgery said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

6AT. Would have liked having a manual again but I do about 65-70% highway driving and wanted to maximize the gas mileage. .

How big a savings is this in miles per gallon?
Its Not Rocket Surgery
AG
ItsA&InotA&M said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

6AT. Would have liked having a manual again but I do about 65-70% highway driving and wanted to maximize the gas mileage. .

How big a savings is this in miles per gallon?
I have only put one tank through it but I averaged 21.8 this weekend in a mix of flat and hilly terrain. According to the EPA estimates it should be about about 5 mpg city/6 mpg highway better than the old 4.6L V8.

Edit, sorry, misread the question. The automatic is supposed to be about 2mpg better than the manual according to the EPA estimate. Not really a huge savings but I also spend a fair amount of time in heavy traffic which definitely pushed me in the automatic's direction.
ItsA&InotA&M
Thank you for the response.
Old Sarge
AG
Its Not Rocket Surgery
AG
Old Sarge said:

mm98 said:

Very nice! How are you finding the "downsizing" for interior room? I'd like to get back into a mid-sized once if I ever get out a sales role.
It's definitely not as cavernous as the Tundra was. Feels like it is about an inch or so narrower than my wife's Highlander. Obviously not as long on the inside either. Backseat room is good for kids probably into their early teens, adequate after that. We loaded quite a bit into it over the weekend. Probably used the bed to haul a little bit more than in the past as to not cramp the cabin, but everything fit with plenty of room to spare.
Good looking truck. Heavily considered Cement but went with the Silver Sky on mine (other Tacoma rule #1 compliance thread).

As far as rear seat room, I would like to comment. It is not much, but it is how you sit/use it. Both my son and I are just over six ft tall. I sat in the passenger seat Saturday on the way back from Brenham to Victoria for about half the drive, and my son sat behind me. I just scooted the seat up some to the point I was just still comfortable and he sat behind me. I know it sounds strange, but it you are taller sometimes it works better, because you can spread your feet out a little and "man spread" some and your knees go just outside of the seat in front of you with more room than you think. Definitely not a full half ton cab kinda rear seat room, but he had no complaints.

What I do really like about the front drivers seat of the cabin, is that everything is easily within reach and you can keep your eye on the road, including digging in the glove box if need be. All controls within EASY reach.
Thanks Sarge, I saw yours in the other thread and it is a beauty as well! I heavily considered an SR5 with the blackout package and wheels in that color, but I really wanted the LED headlights and decided to step up to the Offroad and found one in Cement.

Concur with what you said regarding the rear seats. I'm a bit over 6 feet as well and could easily slide the seat forward a considerable bit (the Taco actually has identical headroom and more legroom than my Tundra did) and make the back comfortable for passengers. I would say there is definitely a reasonable amount of legroom for short to moderate trips. I think it would be taxing for longer trips for taller rear seat passengers though. Also agree on the controls being reachable. Everything seems to have been very well thought out ergonomically.
FC12
Me likey!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.