Any luck buying used cars from Hertz, Enterprise, etc?

3,532 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Mookie
Aggie95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I understand these cars a probably abused by renters but I'm in the market for a used car (maybe 2). I came across an article today describing the beating rental car companies are taking due to lack of travel and they will be heavily discounting vehicles to get some $$ and reduce fleet.
Just a cursory glance at a few deals and the pricing was better than other dealers.

I have one used vehicle bought through a dealer and it's been fine. When buying used do you prefer a dealer or reseller (Carvana, Carmax, etc) or other?
Tim Weaver
https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/3112775
Aggie95
AG
thanks for the link. That thread seems Vette heavy and I would certainly be more careful buying a sports car or truck that people most likely rent with the intent of "abusing".
CREAg87
AG
I had a Passat that I bought from Enterprise for around 3.5 years, zero issues whatsoever- just regular maintenance.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
When I moved back from overseas, I needed a cheap ride to make sales calls in.

Paid 10K for a used Impala "Limited" (old body style), and ran the hell out of it with no issues.

EMY92
AG
I've seen a rental Ford Taurus get all 4 wheels off the ground in a Vegas parking garage.
clarythedrill
EMY92 said:

I've seen a rental Ford Taurus get all 4 wheels off the ground in a Vegas parking garage.
"Seen" or "caused"? Inquiring minds and all.
Aggieangler93
AG
This looks like something worth looking into.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Shiner Bock
AG
Bought a Ford Fiesta 3-4 years ago with minimal miles from enterprise to help out a family member. No problems to date ~30k miles later
EMY92
AG
clarythedrill said:

EMY92 said:

I was a passenger in said vehicle, but not the driver.

I am more of the treat it like it's mine when I rent something.
The Lost
EMY92 said:

clarythedrill said:

EMY92 said:

I was a passenger in said vehicle, but not the driver.

I am more of the treat it like it's mine when I rent something.
Yeah, i think it totally depends on the type of car (and probably location). I wouldn't touch a sports car with a 10 foot pole, but something less exciting might not be a bad short term solution. Especially if it was from a local lot vs airport or somewhere like colorado/nv where 4wheelin poor decisions could be made.
Picard
AG
It's like looking for a former prostitute that doesn't have a STD. Sure, there may be a few out there.....but your odds aren't very favorable.

Vinnie C
Sister bought a rental Camry at about 30K miles. Drove it to 90K when I bought it from her. Sitting at 189K now with no issues
Rice and Fries
What do others think about 2019/2020 Tahoe's with <25K miles for around $40K from Hertz?

Hard to wrap my head around a $800+/month payment for a new one.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Picard said:

It's like looking for a former prostitute that doesn't have a STD. Sure, there may be a few out there.....but your odds aren't very favorable.

Meh ... at this point in life I'll take my chances (with the prostitute, not the former rental car).
P.H. Dexippus
AG
EMY92 said:

Was this on a road trip?
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
Prune Tracy
txbudda
Bought the the wife 15 Cadillac SRX that was a rental with no problems that other SRXs didn't have over the 3 years we owned it. Traded it in on an 18 Yukon that was a rental we have had since December and had no problems so far.
IslandAg76
AG
A number of years ago bought a Nissan Pathfinder with about 9,000 miles on it from a dealer selling it for Avis. Kept it for 5 -6 years, good car.
knoxtom
If any of you have ever bought a cpo, chances are it was a rental. Most just go to auction where dealerships buy them and cpo them. Carfax just lists them as corporate owned
aggiepaintrain
AG
I wouldn't buy a car from a company in bankruptcy, in normal circumstances Hertz takes 3 months to send the title
Rice and Fries
As long as you have the bill of sale, you're covered. Can get a new title made.
htxag09
AG
Personally, I'd just avoid anything with enough miles to require multiple oil changes. As a former weekly business traveler, the amount of cars I had that were past due for an oil change was nuts.

Yeah, you'd still most likely be fine, but a little increased risk, IMO.
Tumble Weed
Bought one from Enterprise and put 50K on it. Not a single problem.

Bought another former rental that was a Camry. It was fine until my daughter totaled it 30K later.

Once you learn how to evaluate a used car, the vendor doesn't matter.
Rice and Fries
Any suggestions or tips?
Beckdiesel03
AG
I bought a 2019 yukon xl from Hertz earlier this year. It was painless and we had a good/great experience compared to a lot of issues with other dealerships/salesman.
Tumble Weed
It is almost cheating now that you can pull the service history of a vehicle. Outside of regular maintenance, I look for wrecks and flood cars. No way that I will touch a flood car. About half way through the video, it shows you some different places to look.

aggiepaintrain
AG
Rice and Fries said:

As long as you have the bill of sale, you're covered. Can get a new title made.

free? no hassle?

Mookie
AG
https://www.autofinancenews.net/allposts/operations/risk-management/hertz-says-survival-tied-to-reducing-fleet-to-fit-new-normal/

Buyer beware, there may be a ton of "as is" cars sold from Hertz. They ain't gonna make it.
Ogre09
AG
I bought a 1 year old Sequoia CPO. Had been a rental in its first life and had 36k miles on it. I've added 50k miles in the 3 years I've had it with 0 issues. Still loving it and hope to ger another 10 years or more.
Cardiag
AG
Perusing the Hertz site. I wish I was looking for a large SUV. Some very good prices on Expedition MAXs with very low mileage. They clearly just bought these things and now have to sell them fast.

Also I bought an '03 Ford Focus from Enterprise. The Focus completely fell apart within 5 years (as in I had no speedometer or gas gauge) but I think that more likely related to the fact that those cars were all POS.
lb3
AG
Mookie
AG
Yeah I just bought an expedition max 4x4 in February from carvana. Those are good deals on hertz website.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.