Starting an old power washer...

1,169 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by coolerguy12
SnowboardAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any tips before I attempt to start an old power washer that's been sitting for about 6 years.

I drained the oil and replaced with new. There was no gas in the tank (and I can't remember if I ran it dry - think I did).

Should I do anything on the carburetor or just give it a go? Change the spark plug? What does the board recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Dill-Ag13
AG
Full send
CanyonAg77
AG
Doesn't the pump have a separate oil system, that should also be changed? You'd need to figure out what oil it uses.

Air filter, spark plug, oil change. Maybe rinse the gas tank out a little. Pull the line to the carb, and put gas in the tank, slosh it around, drain it. I'd maybe spray a little WD-40 or something down the cylinder and spin it over a few times before putting the new plug in. Lube the cylinder walls a little.

And if your power washer is like mine, make sure you have water running through the pump for a while before starting.

The carb. maybe pull the fuel bowl and clean it. If you're lucky, it and the carb will be clean enough that you can put gas in and go. If the bowl is full of crud, you may have to dissemble and clean the carb. I'd try it first before I rebuilt.
Ag for Life
AG
SnowboardAg said:

Any tips before I attempt to start an old power washer that's been sitting for about 6 years.

I drained the oil and replaced with new. There was no gas in the tank (and I can't remember if I ran it dry - think I did).

Should I do anything on the carburetor or just give it a go? Change the spark plug? What does the board recommend?

Thanks in advance!

I was in a similar situation a few months ago. I looked up the carb on Amazon and bought a new one for about $30, slapped it on and it fired up like it was brand new.
Ag for Life
AG
SnowboardAg said:

Thanks in advance!

I was in a similar situation a few months ago. I looked up the carb on Amazon and bought a new one for about $30, slapped it on and it fired up like it was brand new.
SnowboardAg
AG
Thanks for the advice. Good suggestion on the pump oil and slapping on a new carb. And I do remember running water thru the pump prior to start-up. I'll change the spark plug and air filter too. I appreciate the advice!
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Put a couple of drops in the plug hole while the plug is out and just pull the cord a few times to move the piston some.
coolerguy12
AG
Turn the water on and let her rip. It's not rocket science
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.