Automotive knowledge

1,381 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Silvy
Stringfellow Hawke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am interested in learning more about autos. If so inclined please share recommended books, magazines or podcasts.

For yalls effort.

HollywoodBQ
AG
Just buy an old Chevy manufactured prior to 1980 and start working on it. I'd say anything between 1967-1976 is the sweet spot.

Those are simple enough you can work on them yourself and parts should be plentiful and, sometimes interchangeable between models.

Also, you're going to want a car that old so the Government can't track you
Silvy
AG
There's a ton of different stuff that you can learn. Get an idea of what you want and then determine what you're willing to spend.

I agree that getting a project vehicle is best way to learn, but disagree on the era listed. Unless you're willing to drop some serious coin to test the automotive waters, older vehicles will have a fair amount of issues that will need to be overcome.

Spending lots of time working on a vehicle that you haven't really driving is extremely discouraging.

Of course I'm a LS fanboi so it's going to be my recommendation, but they are stupid simple to work on. Buy a worn out 99-07 classic GM truck to fix up or 4th gen F-body.

But again, it all comes down to what you want to learn and your budget.
Tx95Ag
AG
I bought an 89 wrangler and have learned a ton. I determined that I was going to do everything myself. Only thing I didn't do is rebuild the 3 speed automatic transmission. And that's only because I could not find one to rebuild before it went out. Still I pulled it and put it back.

If I was doing it again, with a jeep, I would get a couple year later model with 4.0 and a manual transmission.
Billy Baroo
AG
YouTube is a great resource. Some of the channels I like that have taught me a lot are ChrisFix, Engineering Explained, and Eric the car guy. Those come without a lot of the fluff, but I still find others entertaining as well (Tavarish, Hoovie's Garage, Vinwiki). There are a lot of others out there that I'm not including, but the great thing about YouTube is they'll suggest those for you.
Jack Cheese
AG
REV UP YOUR ENGINES!!
Cowboy bob
Jack Cheese said:

REV UP YOUR ENGINES!!

Exactly can't go wrong with Scotty Kilmer as long as you can handle his voice (my wife leaves the room if I put on of his videos)
Silvy
AG
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Want to start with just making my current 07 Silverado function normally.

1. Fix airbag issue
2. Figure out why window controls don't work
3. Tire sensors
4. Cracked dash
Dill-Ag13
AG
Honestly ChrisFix and other YouTube channels can teach you a lot. I've lurked on this board and have only dabbled in it for about 7 years and feel comfortable doing most things.
falcon09
AG
The 3 best sources I had working on the Bronco was a Hayne's manual, the Bronco/F-150 forums and YouTube.

The Hayne's was better for more mechanical stuff as opposed to the more interior focused things you mentioned. It's a little more 'old school' but the step-by-steps are normally pretty good and it's easier to find things like torque specs in the book than searching for an hour online.

I would highly suggest searching one of the many Chevy/GMC truck forums for each of your problems. Someone has likely had the same issues and managed to fix it. You can find anyone from amateurs just starting out like yourself to dealership mechanics that work on them for a living.

If you can't find the answer in one of those two, or there's a confusing step in the process someone has probably made a YouTube video about it.

I'll second the recommendation for Engineering Explained. He does some really interesting and technical videos, but makes it to where a large amount of people can understand. Donut Media also recently started a series called Money Pit fixing up an old Miata and explaining how all the upgrades work. It is a little more car focused as opposed to trucks.
Silvy
AG
GMT800 or GMT900?

Either way, search YouTube for those types of fixes. Tire sensors are something you'd need a tire shop to handle. Buy new sensors and have them install/program. You'll get in over your head replacing the dash, watch some dash overlay vids.

Once you do all that, order some headers, 4.10 gear, nitrous, and get a tune.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.