Buying first motorcycle advice?

5,283 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lb3
aggieforester05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rexter said:

Yup. I've had it for 3 years. A ZRX was my previous ride for 13 years.

Very nice, those look like a blast to ride and I love the sound they make!

I just sold this after having it for three years. Kind of old school feel too, since there was no traction control, abs, power modes, gear indicator, or even a gas gauge. Nowhere near the torque that ZRX probably makes, but it would definitely scream at high rpms.

Now I'm down to just a 2004 KTM 250 EXC that I've had for over 10 years. Slow as Christmas but good for cruising around the neighborhood and hitting the trails when I get a chance. Don't have any good pics that I can find:

TxTarpon
Sweet ride.
I see guys LED those up in the front.
They look like nothing else at night.
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
Tim Weaver
TxTarpon said:

You are heard before seen.

No you are not.

This is something you can prove to yourself. Next time a big hog with annoy the neighbors pipes comes past you o nhe interstate notice when you can hear them.

Hint* It's when they are already in the blind spot of your car. Until they are quite literally right next to you, you can not hear them.

Loud pipes do F-all to help you. All they do is cause ear fatigue to the rider and cause you to get more tired than you should be and you lose situational awareness because of it.

But go ahead and spread that gospel that loud pipes save lives, and the gremlin bell helps keeps watch over you, and your leather pirate fringe has "a real use" and you had to "lay 'r down" to not crash?!?
drumboy
AG
Tim Weaver said:

TxTarpon said:

No you are not.

This is something you can prove to yourself. Next time a big hog with annoy the neighbors pipes comes past you o nhe interstate notice when you can hear them.

Hint* It's when they are already in the blind spot of your car. Until they are quite literally right next to you, you can not hear them.

Loud pipes do F-all to help you. All they do is cause ear fatigue to the rider and cause you to get more tired than you should be and you lose situational awareness because of it.

But go ahead and spread that gospel that loud pipes save lives, and the gremlin bell helps keeps watch over you, and your leather pirate fringe has "a real use" and you had to "lay 'r down" to not crash?!?
I've had multiple idiots merge into my lane when I had stock pipes and I bet they would have heard me cruising next to them had I had loud pipes. Still not a big fan of them and I try to not ride in people's blind spots.
chimpanzee
drumboy said:

Tim Weaver said:

TxTarpon said:

No you are not.

I've had multiple idiots merge into my lane when I had stock pipes and I bet they would have heard me cruising next to them had I had loud pipes. Still not a big fan of them and I try to not ride in people's blind spots.

Back in the day, Muzzy's made some kind of barely there muffler for the Kawasaki 250 and 500 Ninjas that made those things so loud you could hear them from way behind you in a car, or from the better part of a mile outside if the wind was right, but I can't imagine actually riding with that noise right beside you all the time.
Tim Weaver
So all you fans of "Loud Pipes Save Lives" answer me this:

How come people hit fire engines and ambulances all the time when their lights and sirens are going? Are you as bright and loud as a fire engine?

How about a train? People still hit trains. Are your loud pipes better than being in a train as far as being noticed?

Loud exhausts ARE NOT A SAFETY FEATURE.

For those that say "I had a quiet bike and people ran me off the road, I switched to loud exhaust and nobody ever did it again! Hurr Hurr Hurr"

Is it at all possible, that you just got better at situational awareness? You got better as you put on more miles and you attribute this new found "safety" to your loud pipes?
drumboy
AG
Tim Weaver said:

So all you fans of "Loud Pipes Save Lives" answer me this:

How come people hit fire engines and ambulances all the time when their lights and sirens are going? Are you as bright and loud as a fire engine?

How about a train? People still hit trains. Are your loud pipes better than being in a train as far as being noticed?

For those that say "I had a quiet bike and people ran me off the road, I switched to loud exhaust and nobody ever did it again! Hurr Hurr Hurr"

Is it at all possible, that you just got better at situational awareness? You got better as you put on more miles and you attribute this new found "safety" to your loud pipes?
Yes, there are idiots that still hit firetrucks and bambulances with their lights & sirens on, but there would be more without lights/sirens.

I'm sure jackasses on their phones still would hit loud pipe bikes, but I think any rational person can agree that a loud ass bike cruising next to you will make you more aware before changing lanes. My stock GSA exhaust is louder than my KLR stock exhaust but I still had a no-mister van try to kill me on 45 the first time I got it on the highway.

I'm all for banning HD loud exhaust, especially when those fools all rev the **** out of them leaving bars.
Tim Weaver
So what your saying is, you need to be responsible for yourself and you could still get hit whether you have a loud exhaust or not?

Gotcha. OK. Thanks for clearing that up.

FWIW, I'm not strictly against loud exhausts. I'm against people thinking that a loud exhaust will "Save your life". Which is complete and utter bullsh.

I am against loud exhaust at 2 am in a residential neighborhood though. Those idiots should be strung up by their sack. This goes double for truck bros and mustang owners. You know who you are.
drumboy
AG
What I'm saying is, is that motorcycles are harder for drivers to see so having a little bit more sound helps drivers identify that they are there. Humans have 5 senses and since bikes are picked up less by 1, then it doesn't hurt to make them a little more pronounced by another. This is not hard to understand. I'm not advocating everyone get straight pipes and rev the **** out of their bike. You can also wear HiViz green like I do. I have stock exhaust but clearly see that having loud ass pipes would make me noticed more in traffic. Yes, when HD's haul ass past me going 40 mph faster than I am I do not hear them until it's too late if I were to switch lanes.

Yes, I am responsible for myself. My mama ain't driving it and she couldn't even touch the ground. I am saying that if I have a 2% chance of having a car merge into my lane then if I double decibels of my exhaust maybe I have a 1% chance of this same scenario. I have not done a blind taste test nor have I run this through my machine learning algorithm and I doubt it would matter in a left-turn-in-path scenario which is likely how most MC fatal accidents occur.

I also hate loud MC exhausts in my neighborhood and luckily I don't have them.
TxTarpon

Quote:

Your example fails when I don't ride on the interstate.
Quote:

You are thinking camshaft, stage 1 air and pipes.
Quote:

Proof is in the pudding.
You sound like a bitter man riding his Vespa.
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

TxTarpon

Quote:

Then you can choose not to have them Karen.
Quote:

You did on finish the sentence.
Quote:

You incorrectly assume so much.
Enjoy your Vespa.

-BarronVonAwesome

TxTarpon
Right on!

-BarronVonAwesome

fooz
Turbo Hayabusa is a great beginner bike.
aggieforester05
AG
said:

Turbo Hayabusa is a great beginner bike.

Tim Weaver
TxTarpon said:

Quote:

Your example fails when I don't ride on the interstate.
Quote:

You are thinking camshaft, stage 1 air and pipes.
Quote:

Proof is in the pudding.
You sound like a bitter man riding his Vespa.
The only pudding here is in your brain.

My "beginner bike" was an 81 Suzuki GS750T. Which was faster than any Harley made to that point. It's probably still faster than any Harley other than *maybe* the V rod. I lived down a mile of bad dirt road off of a county maintained gravel road when I bought this bike. I learned how to ride it in the dirt and the mud in the country.

My current "Vespa" is a V-Strom 1000. I have scars on both of my side cases from scraping the road at Deals Gap. This bike will loft the front wheel on just throttle.

The fact of the matter is that I'm a lifelong motorcycle rider. I have come upon crash scenes of guys like you who think that some piece of equipment will keep them safe, when the stark reality is that the ONLY thing that will keep you safe, anywhere at anytime, is your brain. Specifically your situational awareness.

If you buy some loud pipes because "they save lives" you are reducing your situational awareness by some margin. You may not think you are, but you are. You are further decreasing your margin of safety by riding with those loud pipes screaming into your earballs which causes fatigue. Fatigue reduces your judgement and your reaction time. Both reduce your margin of safety.

People still hit bikes with loud pipes. Deer still jump out in front of loud bikes. There is no time in which you can let down your guard around traffic whether you have loud pipes or not. Therefor: Loud Pipes are useless for anything other than screaming "look at me" just like truck nuts, swanga's, donk, confederate flags, or "if you can read this the ***** fell off" t-shirts.
YouBet
AG
Looking forward to the OP posting Rule 1 of his white F150 after he changes his mind.
NRH ag 10
AG
I'll just echo what's been said, be ready and put yourself in a good place to react should someone else on the road do dumb **** that will endanger your life, because they will.

I took what will likely be my last ride on my Aprilia Tuono V4 today. I choked up telling my fiancee about my decision. Wish I lived somewhere with less people, but switching to dirt should help.
TxTarpon

Quote:

My "beginner bike" was an 81 Suzuki GS750T. Which was faster than any Harley made to that point.
So what?
There is a 1982 GS1100E for sale in San Antonio.
Quote:

The fact of the matter is that I'm a lifelong motorcycle rider. I have come upon crash scenes of guys like you who think that some piece of equipment will keep them safe, when the stark reality is that the ONLY thing that will keep you safe, anywhere at anytime, is your brain. Specifically your situational awareness.
And I have seen guys like slide by me, actually the bike goes first then the hapless rider squeezed into sausage casing tight race look leathers comes along next. Where are the brains when riders are in race look leathers going 120 in a 70 on an active roadway? But at least they don't have loud pipes or a Ducati.
Quote:

If you buy some loud pipes because "they save lives" you are reducing your situational awareness by some margin.
As is the wind noise whistling through your helmet and by your head at high speeds.
Quote:

You may not think you are, but you are. You are further decreasing your margin of safety by riding with those loud pipes screaming into your earballs which causes fatigue. Fatigue reduces your judgement and your reaction time. Both reduce your margin of safety.
Apples and oranges.
I have a backrest, highway pegs, music, cruise control, touring bikes are an easy chair.
You are leaned forward for the adrenaline rush.
Quote:

People still hit bikes with loud pipes. Deer still jump out in front of loud bikes. There is no time in which you can let down your guard around traffic whether you have loud pipes or not.
At what point in this thread has ANYONE said you cannot?
You are the one who pegged the loud pipes as the 100% safety cure all.
As noted by another poster, if they give you a +2% additional change of being heard, then works for me.
Quote:

Therefor: Loud Pipes are useless for anything other than screaming "look at me" just like truck nuts, swanga's, donk, confederate flags, or "if you can read this the ***** fell off" t-shirts.
You would be wrong, again.
Stay away from pizza to get into those sweet smelling race loop leathers.

-BarronVonAwesome

clobby
AG
Taking the MSF this week. Where do you go from here on training?
PMD03
AG
Empty parking lot for low speed maneuvers.

Quickest and easiest road out to the county for getting used to riding on the street without traffic.
TxTarpon
Yes.
Maybe watch some Jerry Motorman Palladino videos on youtube for practice techniques.

-BarronVonAwesome

tx1c
AG
PMD03 said:

Empty parking lot for low speed maneuvers.

Quickest and easiest road out to the county for getting used to riding on the street without traffic.
Practice turning right from a complete stop. This scared me a little until I figured out how.
JSKolache
AG
Yep, stay out of traffic until you get the clutch action down well. Stalling at a light suxxxx
clobby
AG
Success! But damn the u turn in the box was a bit tough on the old cruiser.
TXAGFAN
AG
I had ~5 bikes from age 26-37 - a cruiser (V-Star 1100), sport touring bike (Honda ST1300), a BMW K1200LT (dad's bike, I put a lot of miles on it), a goldwing, and a HD ultra limited. I loved my motorcycles and the places they took me.

I hate to seem like a wet blanket, but I sold my last two bikes this winter. After tens of thousands of miles I just couldn't do it anymore. I had a car accident last summer and never felt safe again on the bike - cities or rural. I tried trailering the bikes places and just wasn't the same. I am single and no kids and even then I couldn't accept the risk.

I wish you the best. You've received a lot of good advice. Don't buy new is the only advice that didn't jump out at me. The used bike market is flooded with people, many like me, and it is a buyer's market. Get gear and take things slow.

Oh yeah, my Harley had true dual rein hart's. It was a loud MF...I never felt safer on that bike compared to my Goldwing which sounded like a sewing machine. This loud pipes save lives thing is nonsense. If anything the Harley would make people do dumb **** that put me in danger.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
JamesPShelley said:

TxTarpon said:

2. Loud pipes save lives.

How so?

Four-wheelers need to hear you. I rode a Gold Wing for years and they are quiet to a fault. I am an old guy and I love the comfort.

I have a question for those who go to neutral at a stoplight (Mostly Harley riders). Why? I keep it in first just in case I need to move in a hurry.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
BanderaAg956
I'm a Harley rider and I rarely put it in neutral, unless I need a drink.
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
lb3
AG
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.