F150 Sunroof luck

1,276 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Sublette County
cityagboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My sunroof broke today. 35,780 miles! Made it in just under the warranty.

Anyway, I'm guessing this is a common problem? Will it break again? How much to fix if it breaks again assuming I don't take it to the dealership?
cityagboy
AG
Also does anyone have the F150 small diesel? Just curious if y'all like it.
fooz
cityagboy said:

Anyway, I'm guessing this is a common problem? Will it break again? How much to fix if it breaks again assuming I don't take it to the dealership?
After they fix it, don't ever open it again.
fooz
cityagboy said:

Also does anyone have the F150 small diesel? Just curious if y'all like it.
I test drove one before I bought my 3.5. It was a dog. Ford mechanic told me the only pro over the 3.5 was MPG.

HTH
FamousAgg
Trucks with sunroofs
HtownWilly12
cityagboy said:

I'm assuming it was the plastic parts that broke? There are other threads about this but basically get you a tube of silicone and apply it yourself every once in a while. Plenty of YouTube videos to show you how. Also,there are recommendations on how to open it (vent first, then close, then slide back) that will help prevent the plastic mechanisms from breaking again.
Jethro95
AG
We like ours but we bought it with pulling our 2 horse trailer in mind. I test drove the 3.0 and the 3.5. Similar torque which is what I was looking for and the 3.5 of course is going to be way faster off the line. I wouldn't get the diesel If you drive in a lot of traffic. If you are hauling or do mostly long runs it's great and I've never had a full size truck get this kind of gas mileage.
Sublette County
AG
I moved from a 3.5 boost (2011, first gen) to the 3.0 diesel. It gets great fuel economy and it tows my boat with less effort than 3.5. The truck really feels like it likes to pull a load. My fuel economy is hand calculated mid to high 20's on the highway unloaded, and 20 mpg while towing my flats boat. Fooz is right though, it's not a rocket ship like the 3.5 ecoboost. The shift pattern was clearly created with fuel economy in mind, but the truck feels much peppier in Sport or Tow/Haul mode where it allows the engine to consistently go above 2500 rpm before upshifting. Overall I like this engine better than my old 3.5.

A good point of comparison, the 3.0 diesel has very similar torque and horsepower specs to the 7.3 power strokes from the mid to late 1990's. It's amazing how much engine technology has improved in 25 years.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.