New use for a Porsche Cayenne?

3,115 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Tumble Weed
AgTech88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ummm what is the tow rating on one of these?

AgTech88
Mookie
AG
Worried it will catch on fire?
agnerd
AG
You can't expect him to tow his $100,000 boat with a dirty old pickup truck. Somebody might see him.
EMY92
AG
I have a coworker that looked at that, Audi, and MB to tow her Airstream.

Ended up with the MB.
An Ag in CO
AG
Towing capacity is 7,700 lbs.
Cuterebra
AG
I don't understand this thread. An SUV was used to tow a boat. Cool
AgTech88
AG
Learned something new. I had no idea they could actually function like a SUV, just assumed they were more of a sports car dressed to look like a SUV.....
AgTech88
Corps_Ag12
AG
Mookie said:

Worried it will catch on fire?

He wasn't talking about his own vehicle
04.arch.ag
AG
Wife's grandfather pulled their 26' sailboat with a 76 Trans Am from San Antonio up to Canyon Lake
Tumble Weed
Nice boat! I used to pull my 22 foot Cobalt with an old 99 Land Rover Defender. Take it easy and keep the brakes maintained. I own the same trailer (McClain). There isn't that much tongue weight, and it pulls like a dream.

Still have the boat, but I sent the Land Rover off to another home after multiple seat belt assemblies failed.
akaggie05
AG
Diesel?
WP69
AG
VW Touareg and Cayanne are the same vehicle. My Touareg was a diesel so it was no effort pulling my 23' center console from Savannah to Eastern Long Island and back for 8 years. 2,000 miles round trip including some years through the hills of PA. Looks can be deceiving.
Waterski02
AG
Most of the German midsize SUVs have tow ratings inline with the full size American SUVs. In my personal experience our LR Disco and VW Touareg towed better than our Tahoe. VW substantially better than the Chevy, weird what engineering can do.
Picard
AG
04.arch.ag said:

Wife's grandfather pulled their 26' sailboat with a 76 Trans Am from San Antonio up to Canyon Lake

And he blended right in with the locals

tk for tu juan
tk for tu juan
Space Shuttle huh?

The Fife
I've seen too much stuff break or come loose, those videos always give me the chills.
tk for tu juan
akaggie05 said:

Diesel?

Diesel-gate ended the diesel versions of the Cayenne/Q5/Touareg in the US
strohag
AG
I've done the Porsche driving experience in Atlanta. They take you on an off-road coarse in the Cayenne. I had no idea of the capabilities of that SUV. It's truly a good off-road vehicle. Porsche made sure to make it worthy. Most people aren't going to take it off the pavement though.
txyaloo
AG
First gen Cayennes are great off road rigs with god on road performance. I've been super tempted to get a first gen Turbo. I've seen them in the $5-6k range with locking diff, air suspension, etc. Problem is, it's a high mile turbo porche with the same issues the 996 turbos have. Quite a risk to get into a money pit.

Lots of guys are buying the first gen Touaregs and turning them into offroad rigs.
stamper
AG
A couple of years ago my wife and I were driving the dirt road to the trailhead to hike to No Name Lake in oregon in Deschutes National Forest - amazing hike by the way. We were struggling in our rental ( I think it was a Hyundai Santa Fe). Ultimately we had to pull over and hike a mile or so to the parking lot. Many other vehicles had to pull over including some half ton pickups. Anyway - on our way up there a brand new Cayenne passed us going up the dirt road at an absurd speed. I was shocked when I found it had easily made it up this dirt trail without getting damaged.

AggieGunslinger
AG
There is a camping account in Instagram where they towed a 22 foot travel trailer all over TX with their porche. They got lots of questions at the parks. We rented a GTS last fall on a trip with the kids and it was fun to drive for what it was.
aggiejumper
AG
I've put my MB GL and GLS's in some places most would never go, also have pulled an 8k loaded trailer. Got the GL with all 4 wheels off the ground at once; they also climb steep, rocky hill country terrain with ease due to the way they route power to the wheels. If you're not afraid of a scratch all the German SUV's are highly capable of towing and off road.
RVAg02
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

There is a camping account in Instagram where they towed a 22 foot travel trailer all over TX with their porche. They got lots of questions at the parks. We rented a GTS last fall on a trip with the kids and it was fun to drive for what it was.

From where did you rent the GTS?
FC12
You were upside down?
Ragoo
AG
agnerd said:

You can't expect him to tow his $100,000 boat with a dirty old pickup truck. Somebody might see him.
if that is a $100k boat someone made a bad purchase.
Ragoo
AG
04.arch.ag said:

this is the most canyon lake story ever.
AggieGunslinger
AG
We rented one through the Turo app when we were in Atlanta for the UGA game.
Tumble Weed
aggiejumper said:

I've put my MB GL and GLS's in some places most would never go, also have pulled an 8k loaded trailer. Got the GL with all 4 wheels off the ground at once; they also climb steep, rocky hill country terrain with ease due to the way they route power to the wheels. If you're not afraid of a scratch all the German SUV's are highly capable of towing and off road.
Well, the username fits
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.