Harbor Freight jack stands

3,388 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by aTm2004
Jack Cheese
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Recall - oh sh#@
bam02
AG
Definitely not something I'd buy from HF. I don't buy anything from there, really, but no way to something that's supposed to save your life.
chimpanzee
I've got the old school HF orange and white versions. I can't imagine that they're better. I always keep my floor jack under there too as a backup if I'm crawling under a raised vehicle.
Duncan Idaho
Welp...I guess I know what I am doing after I finish work
Dill-Ag13
AG
Got me a pair, guess I'm getting a free new pair!
Silvy
AG
I don't cheap out on TP or jack stands
mm98
AG
Yeah something that could fail and drop multiple tons of steel on me is not something I'm budget shopping for.
Aggietaco
AG
Jack stands and grinders are about the only thing I've ever bought at HF. I didn't know there was a way to screw up a jack stand. All of mine are the ~2002-05 vintage orange/white ones as well but painted black because orange sucks.
Tim Weaver
I've got 6 of these I think.

Not sure what else to buy since all jack stands are made in Mao's Big Rock Candy Mountain....
BrazosDog02
AG
Things you can safely buy from harbor freight:

Box end wrenches*
Balsa wood airplanes*

Both require asterisks.

Some guy on youtube posted about this failure over a year ago. I know on my Torin jack stands, the lever and pawl fall all the way DOWN once you have the tooth engaged at the selected height. On the youtube, that lever isnt even half way engaged. Poor fitting. Poor casting. Poor everything.

Good way to die.

For crying out loud, there is ZERO notice on the main page of HF. PLUS they are clearing out the jack stands!

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/jacks-jack-stands/jack-stands.html
PMD03
AG
Dang! I use HF stands all the time. Most of the time I put a tire under the frame too, but not all the time.
FamousAgg
Mine haven't killed me yet...
'03ag
BrazosDog02 said:

PLUS they are clearing out the jack stands!

None of the affected part numbers are on your link.
BrazosDog02
AG
'03ag said:

BrazosDog02 said:

PLUS they are clearing out the jack stands!

None of the affected part numbers are on your link.

Give it time?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Thanks for the info. Thankfully the 9 year olds were working when they made mine and I am good. There are going to be a lot of 7 and 8 year olds getting flogged over this screw up.
Aggietaco
AG
I messed with mine a bit last night. All of the locking nubs engage fully and the level arms sit down fully. The only failure I could see is if the cast metal of the jack arm cracked or the bent metal stand failed. I've abused these pretty well over the years with no issues and since every other stand is made in China I'm not sure what upgrade there is other than a double locking stand.
dubi
AG
We own a pair, but they are model #38846 and not part of the recall.

MouthBQ98
AG
I have some 3 tons but they're not in the affected Product numbers, probably manufactured by a different plant or different design. I spent many days under Vehicles supported by them recently. I always keep a hydraulic jack or two in place as well.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Aggietaco said:

I messed with mine a bit last night. All of the locking nubs engage fully and the level arms sit down fully. The only failure I could see is if the cast metal of the jack arm cracked or the bent metal stand failed. I've abused these pretty well over the years with no issues and since every other stand is made in China I'm not sure what upgrade there is other than a double locking stand.

The problem is likely random and limited to the output of a single or handful of machines, but they have no way of knowing which machine produced which jack stands. Only solution is to pull them all.
JSKolache
AG
Not HF related at all, but i had a fun little ride down the driveway on my floor jack a few weekends ago. Was swapping a snapped rear wheel stud on my truck and i couldnt pull the rear disc off the hub. Oohhhh duh, i have the parking brake on so the rear disc is locked up on the ebrake shoe. Pull the e brake off and wheeeee down the driveway we roll, on the floor jack, about 5 feet. Yikes. My stand tipped over but the jack held. Stupid lesson learned is dont eff with discs unless you are on completely flat ground, or fully supported on all corners.
The Fife
I don't own jackstands from there, but at the same time I'm feeling a lot better about throwing a rim under the frame on each side of the car whenever it's up in the air.
Builder93
AG
I wonder if HF stands are made at the same factories as the other brands.
Jack Cheese
AG
Builder93 said:

Yeah, mine are from Vato Zone, thinking I'll be using rims for backup as suggested above. Suspect mine are no less Chinese than the HF ones.
Aggie Athlete Involved
AG
1 of my 2 pairs are recalled! Thanks for posting. I use two pairs each time I do oil
O'Doyle Rules
AG
JSKolache said:

Not HF related at all, but i had a fun little ride down the driveway on my floor jack a few weekends ago. Was swapping a snapped rear wheel stud on my truck and i couldnt pull the rear disc off the hub. Oohhhh duh, i have the parking brake on so the rear disc is locked up on the ebrake shoe. Pull the e brake off and wheeeee down the driveway we roll, on the floor jack, about 5 feet. Yikes. My stand tipped over but the jack held. Stupid lesson learned is dont eff with discs unless you are on completely flat ground, or fully supported on all corners.

You didnt chock the tire?
dubi
AG
Quote:

I even know to put a block behind the tires!
JSKolache
AG
O'Doyle Rules said:

JSKolache said:

Blocked the fronts and still rolled right over like they weren't there.
dubi
AG
Quote:

4"x 4"?
aTm2004
AG
Builder93 said:

Probably. I have a set of 10 or so year old Craftsman that probably had a different label applied at the end of the process.
aTm2004
AG
JSKolache said:

O'Doyle Rules said:

JSKolache said:

Not HF related at all, but i had a fun little ride down the driveway on my floor jack a few weekends ago. Was swapping a snapped rear wheel stud on my truck and i couldnt pull the rear disc off the hub. Oohhhh duh, i have the parking brake on so the rear disc is locked up on the ebrake shoe. Pull the e brake off and wheeeee down the driveway we roll, on the floor jack, about 5 feet. Yikes. My stand tipped over but the jack held. Stupid lesson learWhat ned is dont eff with discs unless you are on completely flat ground, or fully supported on all corners.

What kind of incline were you doing this on?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.