How Harley killed themselves

3,273 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BanderaAg956
maverick2076
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Pretty good video. As a former Harley owner, I found it interesting. I know that now that I've left the MoCo, I'll never go back.
scd88
AG
I loved my 2009 Road King Classic. I still dig that Harley sound and have great memories of my riding days.

However, my biking days are over and have been for a while. If I ever went back, I'd still get a Road King, though.
drumboy
AG
Did pirate attire go out of style?

Always wanted a street glide but pretty sure I'd be let down coming from a 1200GSA. Or a KLR.
Tim Weaver
I just watched that too. Very good analysis of HD is actively trying to kill themselves.
Post removed:
by user
IDAGG
AG
Good video, thanks for posting it OP. Harley sells a lifestyle/dream. As touched on in that video, rugged American, freedom loving open road, etc etc. That seems to appeal to the boomer crowd (yes I am a boomer as well) but not so much to the younger generation. By design they have kept their bikes "traditional" for lack of a better term. So unless the customer longs for the nostalgia of times and technology past, the bikes are not that appealing. Add that to the market in general being flat for the past decade, Indian marketing to the same customer base and they have a big issue.

I ride with a friend who has a Harley. He is pretty brand loyal. But even he just added a GS to his stable and rides it more than his Harley now.

This pandemic caused economic crises (don't want to get into the political aspect of this) may just cause them to fold or downsize quite a bit. It is putting the hurt on a good portion of their customer base.
maverick2076
Freedom-loving and the open road appeal across generations. The problem is that HD doesn't really provide either. There's no freedom when you are tied to a payment on a $30k bike, and it's hard to enjoy the open road on an unreliable machine.
permabull
AG
maverick2076
After leaving HD, I came to realize how much HD doesn't deliver on the things they promise. When you own a Harley, everything is focused on the motorcycle: what you did to it, how it looks, how it sounds. With other bikes, that goes away, and the ride itself becomes the focus.

Another thing I've learned is that, while HD prides themselves on providing the ultimate in touring comfort, they don't. Other types and styles of bike are simply better suited for long-distance touring. I've put more miles in consecutive days on my Super Tenere than I ever did on any of my Harley's, and I've done it in more comfort over more varied roads and conditions.
AustinCountyAg
That's the same I've heard from my few friends that ride. While they say that HD are "cool", for the price and practicality of riding their are so many better options out there.
maverick2076
The cost of ownership is staggering compared to most other brands. When I sold my 4 year old Street Glide, It paid for two lightly used Super Tenere's, one for me and one for my wife. Insurance cost is roughly half of what I was paying. Gas mileage is slightly better with the Yamaha's. Scheduled maintenance is slightly less due to longer service intervals and lower costs if I do take it to a shop. Repair costs for breakdowns are practically nonexistent now. I do go through tires more often, but they are significantly cheaper, so it's a wash. I spend way less money on the bike itself as far as customization goes. I don't really do anything for looks or style now. Anything added to the bike is function-focused.

I wish I had switched years ago.
MouthBQ98
AG
Designing for looks based on image instead of quality and comfort when they definitely had an aging market segment with biker gangs and easy rider on the brain.

Younger riders have a different set of bike characteristics and styles they are into: 70's and 80's style After Japanese Imports of the time. Smaller, cheaper, more practical bikes, not another "car payment".
PMD03
AG
The video touched on Harley buying its own stock to make it look better. That was new information to me.

I am looking forward to Harley's new motor and models. Hopefully that diversifies them a bit.
Furlock Bones
AG
PMD03 said:

The video touched on Harley buying its own stock to make it look better. That was new information to me.

I am looking forward to Harley's new motor and models. Hopefully that diversifies them a bit.
this is what nearly all American companies have been doing for the last decade at least. keep leveraging up on cheap debt. buy shares to prop up price and "beat EPS".
Duncan Idaho
Quote:

By design they have kept their bikes "traditional" for lack of a better term. So unless the customer longs for the nostalgia of times and technology past, the bikes are not that appealing.

Triumph pulled this off perfectly with their "Modern classics" line.

The air cooled verticle twin Bonnevilles, thruxtons, and scramblers are the most perfect blend of new technology and classic styling ever put together.

chimpanzee
Duncan Idaho said:

Quote:

By design they have kept their bikes "traditional" for lack of a better term. So unless the customer longs for the nostalgia of times and technology past, the bikes are not that appealing.

The air cooled verticle twin Bonnevilles, thruxtons, and scramblers are the most perfect blend of new technology and classic styling ever put together.

Agreed, I'm too young to have been around the original Bonnevilles, but the new ones (Street Twin and Scrambler especially) look really good to my eye, no idea how they ride compared to other stuff though, I hung up my helmet 20 years ago.
Duncan Idaho
The thruxtons are a little squirrelly. The scrambler is a little clunky. But the bonnie is a great city bike.
Guitarsoup
AG
Really loved my Bonneville.
Mr. Dubi
They have had so many opportunities to succeed, yet chosen the more challenging road to failure each and every time.
UnderoosAg
AG
Potato potato potato potato potato

Seems like you either love or hate the sound. Everyone I know on a HD spends more on apparel than on the bike.
NRH ag 10
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Quote:

The air liquid cooled verticle twin Bonnevilles, thruxtons, and scramblers are the most perfect blend of new technology and classic styling ever put together.

They do have a small radiator. Triumph did a great job making liquid cooled, FI bikes look like they're air cooled and carbureted.
BanderaAg956
Owen a 2017 Road King and a 2014 Fat Boy! Bought both used so I didn't pay $30K per bike. I paid $30K for two (2) bikes.

If you need anything done at H-D shop it is incredibly expensive and all the regularly priced gear is outrageous to say the least!
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.