Cost to Paint?

1,954 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by txyaloo
380sl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Have a 10 year old Land Cruiser, 150k miles, stock, runs like a top. Love the car but the paint is beat to hell with scratches and chips after living in the oil fields of west Texas all its life. Would love to have it repainted and drive it another 150k miles. Any idea what it costs to paint a car (not MACCO)? Thanks!
aggiepaintrain
AG
to repaint on figure $4-8k

maaco probably $1700ish

'03ag
DIY rhino line. Under $400
Mookie
AG
Dip it
'03ag
Have you done a whole car? If so did you just use cans, or a full kit like the DYC guys sell?
MouthBQ98
AG
Plasti lasts 6 months to maybe a year, before nicks and scratches and impacts with bugs and Tiny stuff blown by the wind Scuffs it off and it has to be redone. Keep that in mind.
falcon09
AG
I thought about dip for the Bronco, but wound up going with 'tractor' paint. Seems like it'll hold up longer than dip.

I also wasn't interested in the bed liner look, but it probably cost about the same.
Mookie
AG
I have not, but one of my former co workers had. He also did all of the plastic cladding on an 01 4 runner and it held up surprisingly well.

Much much less durable no doubt, but this isn't a color change on a 19 M3 we're talking about. Just touch up as needed.

I would recommend a HVLP gun and a rattle can of the same color for touch up.
Duncan Idaho
I'd probably try a diy wrap before I did a diy dip.
'03ag
That's ultimately what I decided on. I have a beater truck that needs paint badly.

Been considering, rhino liner, dip, wrap. I think the wrap will have the best combination of cost/effort/durability/looks that I want. I don't hate the idea of rhino liner, i just don't like that it's basically permanent, and I'm not that keen on flat colors.

Question for anyone. If I vinyl wrap, could I then prime and paint over that with something like Raptor Liner? I kinda like that early 2000s two tone look. Was thinking of wrapping black, then doing a light grey Raptor Liner on the bottom 4-6 inches, bumpers and fender flares.

like this, but probably a darker grey.

Mookie
AG
Negative on painting over vinyl. Think like painting over wallpaper in a bathroom

I bought a giant vinyl logo for the side of my enclosed trailer and DIY put it on myself. I'm pretty handy, and I did a ****ty job. Bubbles everywhere, crooked. Sheesh. I have respect for those wrap guys.
txyaloo
AG
If your paint is in bad shape, it's going to be visible through any wrap. You're also going to pay as much for a gloss dip/wrap as you'd pay for a low end paint job that'll last longer.

I got a Maaco quote for a color change on my Bronco, using their mid grade paint, with no jambs for $1200. Ultimately raptor lined it myself
Silvy
AG
A diy dip will look good at least for a few months. A diy wrap will look bad instantly.

Racetrok has been dipped for over 6 years, but do want to wrap it when I can. I'm sure as **** not doing it myself though.
'03ag
I will look around but I'm going to sand, prime and block out a bunch of spots regardless. I'm not going to wrap over a bunch of scratches peeling spots.

Did $1200 include any prep?

Regardless, I'll be able to test a few methods and see how I feel about the results before I fully commit to anything.
'03ag
Got pics of what you Raptor Lined ?
txyaloo
AG
'03ag said:

I will look around but I'm going to sand, prime and block out a bunch of spots regardless. I'm not going to wrap over a bunch of scratches peeling spots.

Did $1200 include any prep?

Regardless, I'll be able to test a few methods and see how I feel about the results before I fully commit to anything.
$1200 was me removing all lights/emblems. They would scuff, "mask", and shoot for that. I had the typical failed 90s Ford clearcoat but the rest of the body was straight with no dents. I ultimately went with raptor due to the use of the truck and a previous owner had cut the front/rear wheel wells for larger tires. I think if they hadn't been cut, I would have gone with paint instead. I didn't want to go to the expense of patching in new rear quarters.

These are old, but the raptor still looks the same other than some flaking under the drivers door where I didn't prep it well, but that's easy to touch up.

'03ag
Looks good. How many coats did you do?
txyaloo
AG
'03ag said:

Looks good. How many coats did you do?

That's 2 coats. It could probably use a 3rd. I've noticed it's a little light in some areas. I was in a rush to get it done before it started raining. It's not 100% matte/flat in person. Doesn't shine like normal paint but also doesn't look chalky or dull like flat paint can.

Raptor is lot thinner than Line-X. I think if you hated it, it would come off fairly easy with paint stripper or media blasting. It's a 2 part system but nothing like hot sprayed bed liner.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.