Need help choosing multimeter

1,809 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BrazosDog02
hunterjr81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking for a good multimeter. The main purpose would be for automotive work. I have been researching them but there are so many ranging from $20 to $200. The main feature I want is auto ranging. Outside of that not sure what I should be looking for. Any recommendations?
yaterag
AG
The gold standard in multimeters is Fluke. I have a Fluke that I use 99% of the time but before that I used a Black and Decker for a decade without any issues.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I can tell you that the free meter from harbor freight is over priced.
UmustBKidding
Wrong! They are the no cry meter. I collect and hand them out to kids who have nothing. In general they don't fail, the leads are what fails. I have multiple fluke, keysight and other higher end meters that are great, but in the boat, or tool box the HF in general works and if its dropped in the lake, left out in the rain, run over by a car I don't cry.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Negative. Mine has served me well for 5 years!
drumboy
AG
TIL that some multimeters have something called 'auto ranging' and I wish mine had that.

Anyway, I have a Craftsman that's done the job for several years. Pretty sure this is it and it's less than $20. I do need to get some alligator clips for it.

https://www.sears.com/craftsman-multimeter-034821410000/p-A028300107

Duncan Idaho
I've got this one.

Depending on the age of the car and what you will be doing I'd consider one with tach pick up.

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Wrong! They are the no cry meter. I collect and hand them out to kids who have nothing. In general they don't fail, the leads are what fails. I have multiple fluke, keysight and other higher end meters that are great, but in the boat, or tool box the HF in general works and if its dropped in the lake, left out in the rain, run over by a car I don't cry.

I guess you are right. It was the leads both times they have failed. Scared the crap outta me. It is like the metal pointy tip pulls away from the wire inside the lead jacket and you can't see it until it arcs inside of the lead and just about explodes in your hand.
txyaloo
AG
Having a DC amp clamp is handy if you're working on cars. I've had this one for a few years and it works fine. I've seen the same one rebranded as a Craftsman for $60-70

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N014USE/
javajaws
AG
Fluke. There are models available off Amazon less than $200.
Frisco
AG
I've got an older auto ranging craftsman pro and that thing is solid. I've used the crap out of it and it still rocks
drumboy
AG
txyaloo said:

Having a DC amp clamp is handy if you're working on cars. I've had this one for a few years and it works fine. I've seen the same one rebranded as a Craftsman for $60-70

What all can those do with a shielded wire?
JSKolache
AG
I still have no idea how these things work, but dammit i want one
TxAggieBand85
AG
Fluke or Fieldpiece. Check your local pawnshop, pay less get more.

I use my Fieldpiece on the job, goes offshore, jobsites and on the job.

When in doubt, get a Fluke.
6.5 Swede
The Amprobe AM 500 is a great meter for inexperienced people and it's only $38. It will show presence of voltage which makes for easier and safer testing. Also has a battery test function. Amprobe's been trusted by technicians and electricians for decades.
txyaloo
AG
drumboy said:

txyaloo said:

What all can those do with a shielded wire?
I don't think I've ever used the amp clamp on shielded wire. I mainly use it for checking current draw on battery cables when testing alternators, parasitic drains, etc. Works really well for that.
lb3
AG
JamesPShelley
drumboy said:

TIL that some multimeters have something called 'auto ranging' and I wish mine had that.

Anyway, I have a Craftsman that's done the job for several years. Pretty sure this is it and it's less than $20. I do need to get some alligator clips for it.

https://www.sears.com/craftsman-multimeter-034821410000/p-A028300107

I have owned that model for a ~2 decades. Works great. Priced right. It reminds me of MS Word: I use only about 10% of the features.
BrazosDog02
AG
Lol. You don't need a freakin fluke. I mean, you can if you want to waste your money. And yes, it is a waste of money considering how much you will use it.

You can go to Home Depot and get a very nice Klein Meter in a price range that is reasonable. Auto rangin, audio continuity feature, etc.

And yes, I use mine weekly for various projects. The last project being to trace and fix a 1982 Yamaha stereo that stopped working. I used it daily to trace the entirety of the circuitry to find a failed capacitor feeding the amplifier.

After I bought that meter, I got an assortment of leads on amazon for doing real detailed work. Mini grabbers, insulated spikes, flexible tips, etc.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.