ISO: Wheels for 1948 Dodge B1 Power Wagon

1,708 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Sims
Sims
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're headed up to Colorado soon to pick up a 1948 Power Wagon that has been sitting a while on the place we elk hunt.

I'd feel a whole lot better about getting it winched up on the trailer if I could bring 2 good wheels/tires with me.

Anyone know of a place to start looking? Based on a little research - We're looking for a 5 bolt Budd pattern. 6.875" bolt circle.
Hold on honey, there are people on the internet that are wrong.
AgToadie
This guy might be an option for you up in Waxahachie. Please post pics when you get it!
Sims
AG
Sims
AG
That was last year. I doubt it changes much year after year. They don't get a ton of snow that sticks around and the humidity is low. It's in pretty good shape structurally.
Centerpole90
AG
I don't think those wheels would be all that hard to find. I can't vouch for the size of the bolt circle but I know Chevrolet C60's on Budds used a five hole pattern for long time. I'd go find an old chevy bobtail parked somewhere and measure the size of the bolt circle - if you can find one that isn't on Dayton wheels - which I think was more common for a while.

That said, I've winched up junk with hella worse looking tires/wheels than that. Take an extra snatch block, double your line again and it'll roll right up... or slide right up. Either way, can't wait to see what you build out of it.

ETA, post a pic from the reverse angle. What's mounted on the back?
Complete Idiot
Looks like you are going to need to find a solid front bumper you can trust.

(geezis)
Sims
AG
I'll get a diff angle pic up after while. FYI the rig on the back is a big diesel air compressor and tank. They used the truck (and some other equipment) to run an air hammer to drive fence posts.
DeadCiv
AG
Please don't paint it.

Just get it running and roll on up to the yacht club as is.

The valet's look of abject fear will be stuff of legends.
Sims
AG

Hope the pic works. Got the truck and found an old baler too.
The Fife
What happened to the stuff in the back, didn't want to deal with it or did they decide they were going to get around to using it someday?
Sims
AG
He wanted to try and get it going. Said he was going to trailer mount it and use it around his place. The welds had all been cut away from the frame already so it just made sense to not even try to get it. Definitely made recovery of the truck easier.
AgToadie
That is really cool. I like the patina vote as well. What are your plans?
Centerpole90
AG
12 valve
The Fife
I'll throw in a vote for paint. You'll get a whole lot more oxidization once it's out of the dry environment it's been in, plus water doing its thing behind the scenes (windows, doors, reverse side of stuff). A decent paint job will help keep the nastier kinds of rust away.
Sims
AG
I went over it with a steam washer and got 3 layers of paint off. The primer is in great shape. Took out the seats and that's probably where the most of the rust damage I've seen so far was. I've got a guy who is going to pull the cab off so we can see what's what.

As far as repainting, right now I'm either at a dark green - which I think was the original - or a gray color w black fenders.
Sims
AG

That's my color preference for now w a flat bed.

Sims
AG
Mookie
AG
That is awesome!

I vote green.
Complete Idiot
I kind of like the grey with blue mix - is that usually called "battleship grey"? Perhaps a bit more blue than what would be considered typical battleship grey.

Found one:

Aggietaco
AG
barney94
AG
going to be so cool!
Sims
AG
Aggietaco said:

I really like this version.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.