Cheap Fun Car

3,599 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by aTm2004
Mr. McGibblets
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What would y'all recommend for a cheap fun car? Preferably a convertible in the $5-7500 range.

Just driving it back and forth from the office and grocery store.

tia
permabull
AG
Texker
AG
I had an MG Midget back in the day but if you collide with a grocery cart you die so Miata seems like a reasonable compromise.
TxLawDawg
AG
https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/daisetta-1998-jeep-wrangler-sport/7118114653.html
drumboy
AG
hypeiv said:

Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer

This looks like a good deal on a Miata but unfortunately it's an auto. Kinda defeats the purpose.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/2006-mx-5-miata-grand-touring-red-loaded-38k.1443247/
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Agree

Looking for a stick shift.
HeightsAg
Add another $2500 to your budget and get a BMW e46.
Silvy
AG
F-Body w/ LS
HollywoodBQ
AG
Seriously, I had an E46 BMW M3 at the same time I had a 1977 VW Bus.
The M3 was insanely fun but the VW Bus made friends everywhere and it was a blast to drive.
Green2Maroon
AG
MR2 Spyder would be pretty cool. I hope to pick one up at some point.
HumpitPuryear
AG
Just sold my e46 M3 a couple weeks ago. Agree with Hollywood that it is a very fun car and they can be had for around $10K but you better be very mechanically inclined. They are very expensive to keep if you take them to a mechanic. You also need to be prepared to address an aging cooling system (plastic radiator, etc) and a rebuild of the VANOS. These are the main two things that kill these cars. Also have the rear subframe checked out as they will crack if the car has been driven hard on a regular basis.

If I was looking for a BMW in your price range I would look for a an e36 3-series with a five speed. IMO the build quality of the e36 was way better than the e46, they are more reliable, and easier to work on. Good ones are getting hard to find but they are out there if you are patient. Even the 318i is a fun little car to drive. I would try to find a 325/328i though.
Furlock Bones
AG
besides the obvious miata.

you can find a Pontiac Solstice GXP or Saturn Sky Redline. sub 6 second 0-60.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=549494746&zip=78739&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D78739%26minPrice%3D5000%26sortBy%3Drelevance%26maxPrice%3D9000%26vehicleStyleCodes%3DCONVERT%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26marketExtension%3Doff%26searchRadius%3D500%26isNewSearch%3Dfalse%26transmissionCodes%3DMAN&minPrice=5000&numRecords=25&maxPrice=9000&vehicleStyleCodes=CONVERT&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=500&clickType=spotlight
Furlock Bones
AG
silverado_lover said:

F-Body w/ LS
i know this is a bit of blasphemy.

but, the catfish camaros and fire chickens of that age are fun to blast the throttle. but, i honestly wouldn't say they are that fun to drive.
Flaith
AG
I like the Jeep TJ idea. I drive my XJ around on the weekends to the hardware/grocery store, and I love it.

And that's not even with a removal top and doors that you get with the TJ
Silvy
AG
Imma repost this
Furlock Bones
AG
i stand by my statement. fun to mash the throttle. not that fun to drive around.
Tim Weaver
silverado_lover said:

Imma repost this

You don't need power to party....

Mr. McGibblets
AG
E46
rfvgy12
AG
“If one side is protesting racism, then the other side is counter protesting racism.” @thekellenmond
In response to pro Sul Ross statue protesters and fellow Aggies.
gomerschlep
AG
An old DSM like a Eagle Talon TSI or an Eclipse GSX. A buddy of mine had one in high school. All-wheel drive and he boosted the hell out of it. That thing was a beast
Ragoo
AG
CJ7
permabull
AG
The Wonderer
AG
I'm most likely picking up a Miata for the same purpose.
permabull
AG
Mookie
AG
Duncan used to be a client of mine, they have so many gray market cool cars. They used to have a Japanese hearse and a tiny fire truck.

I am dead set on owning a Nissan figaro one day.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
I ended up getting a 2005 M3 e46 vert 6spd.
aTm2004
AG
You're welcome.

https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/3114503/replies/56627355
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.