Advice on buying a Jeep CJ?

2,222 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 02CobraC
ZosoAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking about buying a CJ for a weekend cruiser. Ideally it would be one that is ready to go and doesn't need much major work or restoration. It seems like I can get a pretty good one for $10-15K. There appear to be a ton of customized ones out there (it is a Jeep after all), but I want one that for the most part maintains the original look. Some of the questions I have are:

Where are the best places to look?

What are the things that I should be looking for and asking about on these old CJ's?

Anyone have experience purchasing a vehicle like this long distance? Tips for doing so if I find one that isn't close to me?

Any other tips?

Thanks!
HollywoodBQ
AG
With a username like that, I assume you'll want to see it "In the Light".

Your budget sounds about right.

I had a 1985 CJ-7 four a couple years in the late 1990s. I bought it off a t.u. kid for about $4,500. Spent $5,000 on it over a two year period where I replaced all kinds of stuff - including the engine. Sold it for $4,500 after two years. Mine wasn't very nice but it was fun to drive and got lots of oohs and aahs from the guys in my National Guard Unit.

The good news is there is an endless supply of aftermarket parts for CJs.
Strongwind86
AG
A few Jeep thoughts for you. I owned a 93 YJ for over 16 years as my "weekend" toy.

Started out looking at CJ's.
Seems like there are two kinds out there - especially now.
ONE - Been on the deer lease for the past 30 years.....
TWO - frame off restoration going for top dollar.

Good clean mechanically sound CJ's will be hard to find at a decent price.

Some things to be aware of with CJ's.
  • The frames/bodies were not galvanized. You will see alot of rust if the Jeep sat unprotected. Floorboards. Fenders. Frame. (YJ's began galvanizing frame/body)
  • CJ's used narrow leaf springs. Affects ride quality, stability, etc. (YJ's use a wider spring - you can do a "YJ" leaf spring conversion on the CJ's)
  • Engines. All the CJ's are carbureted. They can be a challenge to keep running if they sit for periods of time. Jeep started running fuel injection starting in 1991 - the 4.0L is the Jeep engine that will run forever - It's like a tractor engine... Look at the HP/Torque of the old Jeep motors - even the old 304's ... Think they were around 125-150 HP/200-250 ft lb torque. Pretty ugly by modern standards. the 4.0L in the 91 + runs 190 HP / 220 ft lb.

I ended up with a YJ - was able to find a much cleaner vehicle for alot less $$$. Sometimes I wish I still had it.

Don't get me wrong... If the right CJ popped up (maybe an old CJ8...) I would love to have it... even with the headaches.

Good luck with your search.

Some places to look...

http://austinjeeps.com/available.html

https://collinsbrosjeep.com/jeeps-for-sale/

https://www.selectjeeps.com/inventory/?&orderby=year,desc,price
Aggietaco
AG
YJ's have the wrong shape headlights.

No advice on a CJ since I'm mainly shopping TJ/LJ models other than that you can find a really well cared for TJ (1997-2006) for very good prices these days. Unless you have a special need for a CJ, I would steer towards a TJ. Having said that, CJ's and Toy FJ's do have a special appeal that is unmatched in the newer models.
Waterski02
AG
If you want to buy "ready to drive" and not a project a Jeep is likely not for you. If a jeep is what you want a CJ or YJ is probably not for you. With the budget I'd by an early Model JK or later TJ and move on. TJ in good condition will run a lot less, I paid 5k for my 02 with 98k, one owner, 5sp, and 4.0. Have about another 2k into upgrades with much longer list to go. New axles, lockers etc...

Jeeps are projects, that's what's fun about them. Now if you have deep pockets and want to spend money by all means go ahead. Just my 2 cents.
ZosoAg
AG
Thanks for the replies. I am partial to the nostalgia of the CJ's. Used to ride around in my buddy's in high school and always thought it was a really cool car. I'm ok with the projects that come with an old car and am even looking forward to a little bit of tinkering. Hell I used to have a 1970's Fiat and those cars are always needing something. More what I meant is that I am not looking for something that will require a major rebuild or restoration before I can take it out and enjoy it.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Do it. You will never regret it.

I've got probably 25k sunk in this baby.

Bought mine on eBay and it was "half restored". Had new paint and fixtures (dash, knobs, rhinolined inside, etc).

New AMC 304 V8 engine. That was about it.

Have since dropped about $10k on it doing:

Full mechanical replacement and service - everything from new radiator hoses to alternator cable to brake pump solenoids to bearings on axles and rods. New horn, new gas tank (had a weird custom one where the sender didn't work), lots of new electrical.
Transmission and differentials serviced and relived. New sun gear put in that weird quadratrac differential (yup. Mines an automatic!!)

New seats
Had spare tire rack custom fitted for my BFG KO2s (don't fit on stock one).
New off-road lights on the front
New Renegade decals
New spark plugs

And the most badace addition (many would say it's sacrilege) - electronic fuel injection. That carb was such a thorn in my side, ugh!

Next things needed - new suspension. Winch. Swaybar and getting an actual soft top.
Gigemags05
AG
I agree with a lot of the posts above. CJ's are awesome. Best looking jeep there is, hands down. The feel and the nostalgia around them is great. But they take a lot of maintenance/repair to keep them going. As mentioned above, there are tons of parts and tutorials available for them... if you want to do it, odds are someone has already done it and documented it.

I have a 1980 Cj7 that I purchased in 2012 for $2100. It was rusted out in all the areas mentioned above, but ran. The PO gave me a 92 4.0 that he was going to put into the vehicle. I rebuilt the 4.0 using a chilton manual and watching Youtube videos, did frame repair, replaced all rusty metal panels, floorboards, fixed the steering, replaced the suspension, and painted it.

I barely knew how to change oil when I got this thing. It was a fun learning experience. Took a lot of time. But it was well worth it and we have thoroughly enjoyed it over the last 8 years.

I say go for it if you have the time and money to spend on it.

Schall 02
AG
Lots of maintenance.

'86 CJ7 owner here. Bought off an Aggie buddy for 3k and towed it home. Another 3.5k+ put into it, some professionally (vacuum leak) but most shade tree in the garage.

Garage kept since new so no rust of note. I feel like (pre-COVID) it was worth more than I had into it, which probably makes it the rarest of all Jeeps.

The carbs stink. Can upgrade to a Ford carb (I did), but wished I had paid for the fuel injection kit.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Biting the bullet on the EFI was tough. Parts and labor... it was about $2250

But. Now I can take it to altitude and have no issues... with it starting
tryan
AG
I have an 84 CJ7 that I've had less than a year. Same thing, bought it to cruise around here in Houston on weekends. Knew it needed some work right away, brakes, steering, etc. Put more money than I expected into it already and still trying to figure out the steering issue, but think I finally have a shop that has some ideas past what's already been done. But it runs great and has pretty good body! It has a 350 V8. Awesome to drive so far when it's steering straight, it's at least keeping me hopeful that I'll get it figured out be able to and enjoy it.
Old Sarge
AG
I had a CJ that we restored everything from the tub up, and put a Rancho racing suspension on back in the day.

Spent several weeks on the tup up resto. It was darn near a show piece until I rolled it end over end..

PM me with questions on the rework. Got lots of stuff we never considered but found and howled over at midnight and a six pack in the process. Back in the day when we had time to do this kind of stuff.

There is such a thing as inverted metric torx. On a CJ. I swear. We found it. Circa 85.
02CobraC
AG
Do it. Love my CJ5 as a weekend cruiser.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.