Toyota Tundra...buy a 2020 or wait for 2022?

12,760 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Buck Turgidson
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Decision made: 2020 magnetic gray Platinum it is.

Then what? Mods?

OXDL45
AG
I like the Platinum trim. Has all the nice features and balance with not being too flashy in my opinion. Just need to make sure you get the spray on bedliner and if you are getting a 4x4 some more aggressive tires at some point.

If you are going to make it a Platinum Pro:

TRD shocks and suspension
TRD dual exhaust
Toyota grill
Skid plate
Real tires

Good luck! Sounds like a sweet ride already.

ag94whoop
AG
drumboy said:

ElephantRider said:

JesusQuintana said:

ElephantRider said:

mm98 said:

bam02 said:

ElephantRider said:

Door sticker on my friend's tundra is under 1,100 pounds, I'm pretty sure.

Mine says 1435 lbs. 2014 crewmax 2wd
Yeah, they're notorious for lower than average payloads but 1,100 does sound way too low.

4wd crewmax TSS. Maybe I'm wrong on the number, I just remembered being shocked when he told me how low it was

Mine is ~ 1200 for that configuration and it's shockingly low.

And to think, I've heard people say that a Tundra was "basically a 3/4-ton"
It is if you don't get a Crewmax w/ 5 1/2' bed.

My '12 Crewmax says 1,470 max payload but that includes passengers.

Payload is GVWR-curb weight. That means the max payload number typically includes all passengers including the driver.

Meaning a 1400lb payload when towing limits how many people can be in the vehicle. Let's say you are towing a 8500lb trailer with 850lb tongue weight. If your payload limit is 1400lbs, then 1400-850=550 LBs. So the driver, passengers plus crap in the bed (coolers etc) cannot exceed 550lbs

This is precisely why people are shocked when they find out their truck, rated to two 11-12k lbs cannot actually do that because their payload is only 1300lbs. The tongue weight of an 11k lb trailer will be 1100 lbs and if the driver is over 200lbs they cannot legally drive that load because they would exceed the maximum payload capacity and the GVWR of the truck.
ag94whoop
AG
I would buy the Tundra in a heartbeat if their payload and towing numbers were a bit better. It is the most reliable of all trucks on the road (highest percentage of production units that hit both 200,000 mileS and 300,000 miles of all full size trucks).

But their fuel mileage lags behind everyone else even for a V8, and their payload capacity is just too low for someone who occasionally tows 9-10k LBs. And unfortunately I fit into that category, occasionally towing my RV and the occasional cattle trailer.
dilben
AG
What is the Texags hookup? Tks
BSD
AG
And done.

In before "you suck at parking"
OXDL45
AG
Sweet!
Garrelli 5000
Picard
AG
Nice! I bet your son is really excited. Make him wash it until it becomes his.
fixer
Try tow haul mode unloaded. It's a facking hoot.

Thank me later.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Great call. It's become part of my start routine. I press it every time unless I'm only starting to move across a parking lot, and often then too due to muscle memory.
Take the trash out staff.
Pahdz
Same, I can't drive mine without it
BSD
AG
Is that for more throttle response? In my last car, I had an "S mode" which gave more throttle response and I loved it.

I also saw something about Pedal Commander (but I hate having extra gadgets in my vehicles).

BTW, this is my first ever truck. I'm enjoying it so far. My son and I have had several picnics in the bed and I've made about 10 runs to Home Depot. I may hit the coast this weekend to see what's swimming in the surf.
fixer
I don't exactly which parameters towhaul changes. However I would swear it actually takes off in first gear. Its a bit of exaggeration but it feels like a small shot of nitrous.

In regular mode it feels like it takes off in second. That can be done if 2nd gear and 4.30 gears are the right combo. Tow haul feels like first is engaged.

So what I noticed

Slightly higher shift points
Feels like first gear is engaged
Faster acceleration at highway speeds. Might be a global change in timing and fuel trims.

All around feels like about more power and torque all the way around.

edit: this is my first truck in 15 years. I forgot how much I liked having one.
Garrelli 5000
AG
It changes the throttle response and shift points.

From what I've ready it essentially sets those to what was normal on earlier tundras (2008 - 14?). Back then hitting the tow/haul button didn't make a very noticeable change in performance. People complained the pedal was too sensitive so being boring Toyota dialed it back to boring.
Pahdz
Also no noticeable change in the fuel economy either
texican08
AG
It's December 2021...any updates on when the new model is released? I'm rolling a 2010 Tundra SR5 with some limited additions but really ready for an upgrade. Been patiently waiting for the new style to come out.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Ferguson?
Pahdz
That obvious huh?
Cromagnum
AG
So are the 2021s still rocking 2001 technology on the inside?
drumboy
AG
Hopefully, so my 2012 isn't obsolete. I'd like Carplay but at least everything works.

Now when is the Sequoia going to not look like a 2007 Tundra?
14TheRoad
AG
Toyota reliability is great, just wish it didn't come with a trade off of having such poor modern updates. Really frustrating that Toyota doesn't even attempt to keep up with tech.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Nissan is the same way. You can be behind an Armada and not know if it is a 2007 model or 2020.
drumboy
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

Nissan is the same way. You can be behind an Armada and not know if it is a 2007 model or 2020.
huh?

drumboy
AG
Eminus6 said:

Toyota reliability is great, just wish it didn't come with a trade off of having such poor modern updates. Really frustrating that Toyota doesn't even attempt to keep up with tech.
I'm biased and used to my 2012 Tundra, but what tech am I missing out on? I'd love massaging seats and the dash could be more blinged out but other than CarPlay that I used in rentals I don't feel like I'm lacking anything. Bluetooth & aftermarket auto start keeps me happy.

I'd love a fart vacuum built into the seat I guess.
HossAg
AG
I mean, just look at a 2021 Ford interior vs a 2021 Tundra interior. There's a huge difference in tech and general quality, but if you don't care about those things, then I guess it's not a deal breaker.
drumboy
AG
HossAg said:

I mean, just look at a 2021 Ford interior vs a 2021 Tundra interior. There's a huge difference in tech and general quality, but if you don't care about those things, then I guess it's not a deal breaker.
They both look pretty nice, but I like that big screen in the Ford.

tk for tu juan
Easy to add wireless charging for Tundra
https://www.sparksparts.com/p-tundra-wireless-charging-tray-0001634506

Which option level adds wireless charging to the F-150?
Bob Kelso
AG
The Tundra interior is not bad.
bedofbrass33
AG
Stay TF away from Toyota. Go buy a Dodge or Ford for your 55" Roku screen "modern interior".
Garrelli 5000
AG
Tundra interior isn't bad, but it is nearly identical to my 2016 tundra other than I don't have dual climate control.

No idea if tundra has improved the display itself - mine is like standard definition compared to high definition for other vehicles, and it was in 2016 as well.

I still love the truck though and will drive a minimum 5 more years unless I supercharge it and blow the engine
Buck Turgidson
drumboy said:

Now when is the Sequoia going to not look like a 2007 Tundra?
Probably with a Tundra/Sequoia redesign in a couple years. Then the 2023 Sequoia will look like a 2023 Tundra with the back enclosed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.