Toyota Tundra...buy a 2020 or wait for 2022?

12,834 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Buck Turgidson
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been considering buying a new Tundra for several months. The rumor is that the 2022 model ( scheduled to be released in December 2021?) will be a redesign. I'm torn on whether to buy now or wait. Thoughts?

My other option: I could also buy a Tacoma now and wait 5 years to give that one to my son when he turns 16, and then buy a new Tundra. But the prices on those are pretty damn high for a smaller truck.
coolerguy12
AG
1. Buy 2020
2. Tow space shuttles
3. Count on inflation to help you sell it for more than you bought it for.
4. Profit.
Picard
AG
Buy a 2020 Tundra now
Pay it off before your son turns 16
Then buy a new model Tundra for yourself and give him the old one
Old Sarge
AG
I leaning hard on a Tacoma now.
lawless89
It's still going to look the same with just new headlights.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Go ahead and buy it. I liked my 2018. The new ones have Apple Car Play. I liked my Tundra WAY better than I liked my Tacoma.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
lawless89 said:

It's still going to look the same with just new headlights.
OXDL45
AG
Buy and enjoy for two years and then trade in for the 22 model. Even with the new model I'm sure the 5.7 and older generation will still have a market for buyers.

Tacoma does seem nice for a teenage driver if you can survive the size difference between the cab and bed differences.
JSKolache
AG
Is it 2022 now? First it was going to be 2020, then 2021...
John Francis Donaghy
OXDL45 said:

Tacoma does seem nice for a teenage driver if you can survive the size difference between the cab and bed differences.

Tacomas are perfect for teenage drivers. Most towns don't have enough paved road for a 4 banger Tacoma to ever exceed a speed limit.
dr_boogs
AG
Toyota sales told me '22 about a month ago.
evan_aggie
AG
Old Sarge said:

I leaning hard on a Tacoma now.

Time flies. It feels like I bought mine yesterday but it was 2016. I'm not sure if I would buy it again. A lot of minor gripes I had have been solved in the new models though.

Power rear window, CarPlay, power front seat is nice...

But it's still a 18-19 mpg truck that is less capable than a full size. I've also always joked that depending on the long term reliability, I may say "I'll only buy Toyota trucks going forward".

I think the key test will be 75-125,000 miles. I'm only at 51k.
OXDL45
AG
My logic was waiting for the 2nd year release of the new models. Whenever it is.
BSD
AG
JSKolache said:

Is it 2022 now? First it was going to be 2020, then 2021...

From everything I've read, the redesign will be the 2022 model to be released in December 2021. Supposedly it'll be a turbo V6 instead of the V8. Not sure of the other changes though or if they'll keep a V8 option. I guess they have to release and sell some 2021's before the announce all that.
Buck Turgidson
Don't buy the first year model of a new car. Even a Toyota.
Pahdz
This new bummed me out. Just paid off my 2015 Tundra, and in January my auto allowance policy is going to require me to get a new vehicle (have to be within 5 calendar years of current year). Thinking of buying used for a couple years and waiting for the kinks to get worked out.
mm98
AG
Pahdz said:

This new bummed me out. Just paid off my 2015 Tundra, and in January my auto allowance policy is going to require me to get a new vehicle (have to be within 5 calendar years of current year). Thinking of buying used for a couple years and waiting for the kinks to get worked out.
Ours allows for 7 years and if it's maintained our boss will let us sneak in another year.

I get why there are caps but 5 years seems really strict.
Pahdz
well, they used to be lax about it until some people blew it by driving beaters. Now we have to report every January what we have.

My truck doesn't even have 150k and is in great shape. I will probably request an exception
fixer
Definitely get the 2020 or whatever before they roll out the new model. I'm a huge fan of getting vehicles late in a long design cycle. Minimal changes and good chance of getting a good one.

I got a '19 PRO because I'm not excited about changes to a great platform.

There is serious and mostly credible rumors the 5.7 is no more in the Tundra or will be some premium option.

The 4runner and Tundra are totally redesigned in the next few years. I wouldn't wait to find out if you like the new platforms on these two.
BSD
AG
Thanks for the thoughts.

Now the question is: do I buy now or wait a few months and see what shakes out with the 2021 release? (Cheaper 20s? Better 21s?)

Also another question I need to answer for myself: which trim? My wife will be driving some so I'll need a higher end trim.
fixer
Trd pro is off road oriented. It is a bit taller than other trims. If you off road at all I recommend this. However the exhaust can be jarring for someone not geared to it.

I bought my 2019 trd pro through web. I did t drive it until I signed papers and left out. I started truck and heard the exhaust and went " oh **** that's loud".

1794 trim is their luxury trim level.

Platinum is a luxury trim level but chrome and black.

Limited is a semi luxury trim.

Sr5 is their cloth interior trim level. I honestly think the cloth seats are really nice and comfortable.

Sr trim is their fleet trim.

2020 has some upgrades to the infotainment system, more USB ports and push button start. The screen is a bit bigger and nicer looking.

Dealer installed remote start is available but hard to find.

I doubt 21 models will have more than different colors and tire and wheel options.

If you do diy maintenance then I suggest you also invest in the Toyota oil filter removal tool.

Toyotas have canister style oil filters instead of spin on type.
BSD
AG
Great info, fixer.

My wife will also drive it, as well, so the lower trim levels are out. She likes the platinum because of the blind spot monitors and the ventilated seats. I like those too but I don't like the chrome side mirrors and door handles.

The 1794 is too brown in the interior for me.

The TRD Pro sounds nice in theory but is missing those things my wife likes.

So now I'm torn between TRD Pro and the Platinum. Maybe I could get the platinum and add the "Pro parts" afterwards? we don't do any off-roading but have plans to take it camping for scouts and family trips.
GTBullitt68
AG
I purchased a platinum at the end of February with the intent of turning it into a Platinum pro. I swapped out the mirror caps for some super white ones and am currently sourcing the trd pro wheels. It's cheaper to upgrade the suspension on a platinum vs adding the comfort and convenience features to a pro. Not to mention they are discounting platinums much more than pros. I picked mine up for less than $48k fully loaded. Happy to answer any questions.
BSD
AG
GTBullitt68 said:

I purchased a platinum at the end of February with the intent of turning it into a Platinum pro. I swapped out the mirror caps for some super white ones and am currently sourcing the trd pro wheels. It's cheaper to upgrade the suspension on a platinum vs adding the comfort and convenience features to a pro. Not to mention they are discounting platinums much more than pros. I picked mine up for less than $48k fully loaded. Happy to answer any questions.

That sounds like the way to go, then. I know nothing about car parts so I've got A LOT to learn if I'm going that route. Time to internet!!! (like I have anything else to do right now...)
drumboy
AG
GTBullitt68 said:

There are some in the Houston Area Toyota Swap group on FB. Seems pricey for takeoffs but these are probably harder to come by.
ElephantRider
AG
Are they going to fix the ridiculous payload issue on the redesign? I would be all-in on a Tundra if it weren't for the payload capacity. I just can't make that work
drumboy
AG
What you haulin? Mine hauls all the @ss I need.
John Francis Donaghy
If you're hauling more than 1700 pounds of ass, you need to skip the new truck and save your money for a divorce attorney.
ElephantRider
AG
Door sticker on my friend's tundra is under 1,100 pounds, I'm pretty sure.
Aggietaco
AG
Skip the pro 18's and find some 17" RW wheels and more sidewall.
Pahdz
TRDshop.com
Pahdz
does the TRD Pro still come with cloth seats?

Also, don't get the factory remote start. Requires you to turn the vehicle off and restart before going anywhere (at least the old system did).
drumboy
AG
Aggietaco said:

Skip the pro 18's and find some 17" RW wheels and more sidewall.

I have 275/65/20s on 1794 rims on mine and I was close to getting some 17s with a lot o sidewall until a CostCo NYE sale got me.
GTBullitt68
AG
Thank you, I've had my eyes on those as well. Unfortunately I'm in DFW and getting to Houston is a pain right now. My next search is for TRD Pro takeoff suspension once I find the wheels and tires. Here's hoping the end of quarantine will ease this.
OXDL45
AG
They come with leather now.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.