Truck Coilover Shocks (King Offroad - Fox Racing - ICON - Etc)

1,012 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Naveronski
Grown Pear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm hoping to find some people here with experience or knowledge on coilover systems for trucks. So please chime in with comments, thoughts, advice, etc.

My application:
I have a 2020 Silverado 1500 Z71. Not overly impressed with the stock Rancho shocks. I would like to level the truck out slightly and replace the current 265/60R20 dealership tires with 275/65R20 KO2's. I do not want a true "lift" for the truck nor do I want to put in spacers to level the truck.

This is my daily driver and am largely focused on on-road handling, performance and feel. The pot holes and crappy streets can be jarring - and I'm looking to glide over them, as well as speed bumps, train tracks, etc. I will occasionally take it off road but in conditions that the stock truck would be able to handle ok. I don't "need" this for offroad purposes but being able to go faster and much smoother would be a huge plus and make things more enjoyable.

I previously have had a 2017 Ford Raptor which had the Fox (I think 3.0) set up. It has spoiled me for any other car or truck I drive because it was such a breeze handling everything. Going over elevated railroad tracks, terrible roads, speed bumps was absolutely a piece of cake - I could drink my coffee while doing so with no problems.

I essentially would like to get a comparable ride quality with my Silverado. I'm ok with a somewhat firm ride but that is very different than a harsh ride. I would like to glide over bad streets where it feels plush and cadillac-like but not soft and boat like. The stock Rancho's feel too harsh at low speeds on bad roads and too bouncy and floaty on the highway with slight elevation changes. I'm essentially wanting the opposite: Smooth at low-mid-high speed over bad roads and firmer, less floaty, on the highway.

I am currently leaning towards King 2.5 coilovers with 2.5's in the rear or Fox 2.5 in same setup. Potentially may look at 2.0 in rear but want to learn more about that as well.

Really would like to hear feedback and get direction on how to move forward and make the right decision and make it once. But also information for others wanting to know more about coilovers too.

Thanks texags
PFG
AG
Sell the bow tie, but another blue oval raptor?
Grown Pear
AG
PFG said:

Sell the bow tie, but another blue oval raptor?
The thought did cross my mind!

But no, the Raptor was cool to have but I'm going for a more "modest" look if you will. More unassuming than the Raptor and wanted to get back to GM for a period of time (don't hate). Plus this new 3.0L Duramax Diesel engine paired with 10-spd transmission is just amazing.
TxAg20
AG
Call Ben at Filthy Motorsports. They have a King kit for 2020 GMs.
Grown Pear
AG
TxAg20 said:

Call Ben at Filthy Motorsports. They have a King kit for 2020 GMs.
Thanks, I definitely plan on it. I ended up at his website and found his videos extremely informative a well done. You're now the 3rd person from two different forums to recommend him - so I find that very positive.
PFG
AG
https://paxpower.com/silverado/

I know one of the guys who started Pax Power. Good dude, knows his stuff. I'd call them tomorrow.
Naveronski
AG
King's are definitely the top recommendation if your budget allows. You can get them with adjustable valving to really dial the shocks in to your truck and how you want it to feel.

I have Icon, mostly because I got them for a steal, and while I really like them, I think King's are probably the superior product.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.