2003 tacoma 3.4l 4 dr coil ?

1,155 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
allMondjoy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Began rough idle out of blue. Pulled in a shop coded #6 coil issue.
Dephi orig part replaced #6 with Denso.
Key turned, no starter just clicking.
Put old part back on, turns over, starts and has same rough idle.
At a loss for this scenario.
Aggiedad
GrapevineAg
AG
When you installed the Denso coil on the #6 plug, are you sure it snapped on all the way? Also, is the battery good?

You might try swapping your original #6 coil with the one from #5 and see if the code moves with it. Then try putting the new Denso coil on #5 and see what happens.
allMondjoy
Thx
Aggiedad
GrapevineAg
AG
Any luck?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Wait a minute.

Doesnt this gen truck share coils? I.E. you should have 3 coils and a set of 3 plug wires, right?

If that is the case, #6 should only have a wire going to it.

If my memory serves right, #6 is driver side firewall. And it shares the wire with coil #3, which is pass side middle. So if it just misfiring on #6 and not 3, my first suspicion is a bad plug or wire.
GrapevineAg
AG
Great catch! You are correct, #6 is driver side firewall and shares the coil on the #3 cylinder (mid passenger side).

OP, check your #6 plug wire as 1agswitchin4lanes said. You can try putting the new coil on #3, and also try swapping the coil on #1 with the coil on #3. All of that can help you diagnose the true source of the issue.
allMondjoy
Y'all are spot in about shared coils. Woyold be coil on top of #3 my guess. Are coils interchangeable? Meaning #1,2, or #3 couild be interchanged or are they specific parts?
Aggiedad
GrapevineAg
AG
Yes, they are interchangeable - all 3 coils are the same part #.
allMondjoy
Ok, he tried interchanging coils, still very rough idle. Going to change out spark plug wires and connectors next.

Still have not gotten info on the exact code(s) that it was throwing. Son works in Terlingua and is with this truck, so trying to solve long distance issue in an isolated area.

Codes knowledge will help, but could this have anything to do with O2 sensors or injectors? Truck has been well maintained with 141,000 on it.
Aggiedad
DeadCiv
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Wait a minute.

Doesnt this gen truck share coils? I.E. you should have 3 coils and a set of 3 plug wires, right?

If that is the case, #6 should only have a wire going to it.

If my memory serves right, #6 is driver side firewall. And it shares the wire with coil #3, which is pass side middle. So if it just misfiring on #6 and not 3, my first suspicion is a bad plug or wire.

Impressive. I can barely find my keys on a daily basis.
allMondjoy
Well problem ended up being a worn out #6 Spark plug wire and boot. It had a shorted out looking burned spot on the boot near where the wire from the coil enters the plug boot. 30,000 miles on the wire, typical wear or something sinister?
Aggiedad
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
allMondjoy said:

Well problem ended up being a worn out #6 Spark plug wire and boot. It had a shorted out looking burned spot on the boot near where the wire from the coil enters the plug boot. 30,000 miles on the wire, typical wear or something sinister?
Subpar "jobber grade" wires?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.