Getting back into the auto mod hobby

2,013 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by sushi94
khaos288
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Random funny story for you wrench monkeys. I used to be super into the hobby. Pulled motors, transmissions, rear ends, headers, etc to upgrade/rebuild.

Flash forward to now 10 years later, and I buy a bolt-on axle back for my q50. I think back to all those times in college I wish I had air tools, and knowing I already had the compressor, I bought an impact wrench and a bunch of sockets.

I get the car jacked up, compressor up to pressure, pull the trigger a few times like clicking tongs. Then, I realize the positioning of the exhaust bolts won't let the gun get in position, and I have to whip out the socket wrench and cheater bar.
FC12
If you want some cheap fun, buy a car for 24Hr Lemons..$500 buck POS and cage that beast!
khaos288
AG
FC12 said:

If you want some cheap fun, buy a car for 24Hr Lemons..$500 buck POS and cage that beast!
Had a buddy that did one every year in college! Those are 100% a blast.
drumboy
AG
Wait til you try a cordless impact and realize what a PITA air tools are
khaos288
AG
drumboy said:

Wait til you try a cordless impact and realize what a PITA air tools are

Do they have the same juice??
Stat Monitor Repairman
Milwaukee is supposed to have the highest quality cordless impacts. Whatever their top of the line model is.

(According to the YouTube's.)
will.mcg
AG
Have a Harbor Freight electric(battery) 1/2" impact. That thing is the bees knees.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Ridgid 1/2" user here. 18V and gets used 3 -4 days a week. It's fantastic. The lifetime service and parts warranty including battery warranty did it for me.

I also have 1/4 and 3/8" Milwaukee electric ratchets. Makes life so much easier.
Rexter
Going from hand tools to cordless is like going from a stick-shift to an automatic.
TSJ
AG
You need to get this air impact. I don't think there is an electric anywhere near this small.

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools-compressors/air-ratchets-impact-wrenches/air-impact-wrenches/12-in-ultra-compact-xtreme-torque-stubby-air-impact-wrench-63534.html
Guitarsoup
AG
Love my Milwaukee 3/8" Fuel Stubby Impact Wrench.
https://amzn.to/3a9sgJj

For things that don't need a lot of torque (like interior or engine covers) I love the Milwaukee Power Ratchet.
https://amzn.to/2J5N1Kb

I don't have any of the big, big ones, but I know Milwaukee makes a 1" impact wrench that throws down 1,500 ft/lbs of torque. I'm considering using the motor in that for an engine swap with my Miata. Pretty sure it is way more powerful.
sushi94
AG
Used my Milwaukee cordless for a brake job. Started removing a caliper bolt and didn't pay attention to the clearance - ratchet got stuck and couldn't reverse it can't remember how I got the damn thing off but took awhile. My 16 year old son just laughed his ass off at my predicament
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
sushi94 said:

Used my Milwaukee cordless for a brake job. Started removing a caliper bolt and didn't pay attention to the clearance - ratchet got stuck and couldn't reverse it can't remember how I got the damn thing off but took awhile. My 16 year old son just laughed his ass off at my predicament
How is your kid 16?
sushi94
AG
He's 17! Time flies!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.