Auto Insurance

2,455 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JP76
chewy03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I recently got auto quotes from Progressive and GEICO and they both came way less than my current insurance. Its about $600/year savings with either. I've been with my current insurer(AMICA) for 14 years, you would think I would get a good rate. What are your thoughts on Progressive/GEICO?
akaggie05
AG
chewy03 said:

I've been with my current insurer(AMICA) for 14 years, you would think I would get a good rate.

I used to think like this. Then, I realized that the longer you stay with an insurance company, the more they see you as a schmuck that they can cheat the rates up on.
TexAg2001
AG
chewy03 said:

I've been with my current insurer(AMICA) for 14 years, you would think I would get a good rate. What are your thoughts on Progressive/GEICO?
Man, maybe I should look into getting quotes from other insurers. I've had home and auto through Amica for close to 18 years. We shopped around for other quotes when buying our current house 3 years ago and no one could come close to matching the rates from Amica, so we haven't looked around since.

Regarding Progressive/GEICO - I haven't had either, but did get hit by someone insured by Geico. They were an absolute pleasure to deal with in getting my SUV repaired. I'm sure it helped that the other driver immediately took full responsibility. Rear-ended by a teenage driver staring at her phone and not paying attention to the road
robertcope
I have GEICO. No issues with the few claims I've made over the years. They're almost always the cheapest quote, too. I've found a bit cheaper in recent years, but there are some quirks of their policy that keep me from moving.
Shiner Bock
AG
geico here, as a fed employee get an extra rate cut. get new quotes elsewhere every few years and none have been close to their rate for equal coverages.

hit by uninsured motorist last year, claim was taken care of without really any issues along the way
classicdoug
AG
As a shop who has to work with Geico to get them to pay claims, they are absolutely the worst. We fight with them on every claim to get them to pay for correct repairs. Every body shop in Bryan and College Station pretty much hates them and that's the way most shops in the collision repair forums I frequent feel. If you think they are easy to deal with, then I would say get your car checked out by another repair shop after the repairs are done the way Geico says to fix it. Chances are the repairs are not to pre accident condition.

There's a certain chain shop in Bryan and the same shop in College Station who are direct repair shops for Geico (and many other insurance companies). I've had to redo a few of their substandard repairs. Those shops cater to the insurance companies and not the customer, so everything seems great and the customer never knows how substandard their car repair is.

Do youself a favor. If you ever get in an accident where a Geico customer is at fault, file the claim on your own insurance, pay the deductible, and then let your insurance company get your deductible back for you.

Progressive is better than Geico, but not much. I know all insurance companies just care about their bottom line, but you get what you pay for.
SnowboardAg
AG
I shop insurance every year - been with progressive, liberty mutual (2x), State Farm, Allstate, etc. There's no loyalty with any of them that I see. Reshop, pay the lowest rate, and don't have a daily driver that you care much about. Problem solved.
chewy03
AG
It's not like I'm driving a lambo. I just want my vehicle to be fixed right if I'm ever in an accident. The one accident I had years ago when my car was hit, Amica was great to deal with( overnighted my deductible back after I paid to the body shop, required them to use oem parts). I always go back to the phrase "you get, what you pay for". So it looks like GEICO might be out of the picture.
robertcope
Not to contradict doug, but my shop told me that they loved working with GEICO. And this was a conversation about fixing my NSX in the event that I hurt it at the track. I suspect, like most big companies, it comes down to who you are working with. This is a shop that does high end work, too.
robertcope
ugh
MouthBQ98
AG
Get an agent. Have them re-price you every 18months to 2 years. You Will save money. If you stay with one insurer long enough they creep rates up on you.
tailgatetimer10
AG
I use to have Geico, and my mother worked in insurance, no bad issues with Geico.

Doug's examples could be with a specific region
Bob_Ag
AG
I have Geico and I'm assuming the chain shop he is talking about is Caliber Collision. I'm in Round Rock, but both times I filed claims with Geico and used their preferred shop (Caliber) the process was super smooth and the work looked good as new. It might vary by region as suggested.

As for the original question, it is best to shop it around, but Geico has been competitive every time I price it out.
RynoAg
AG
Was a life long AMICA customer for over 20 years. Last year, they increased my rates by over 30% at renewal. I called them out on it, escalated it, and was basically told that customer loyalty meant nothing. Rates were going up. I said nope, got hooked up with Liere Insurance and now have Progressive. Great experience.

TLDR: no loyalty, shop around.
frankm01
I never used Progressive or GIECO so l can't help there, but 3 years ago l switched from Liberty Mutual to AAA. My rates with AAA for these 3 years were light years cheaper than Liberty and have virtually stayed the same for all 3 years. Bundled home, boat and PCAT and all have stayed pretty level. Luckily, no experience with dealing with claims. Good luck.
Texker
AG
This is on my to-do list.

I've had to deal with Progressive a couple of times because their insured jacked up our vehicle. What a dirtbag of a company. We were treated like criminals both times.
JamesPShelley
I've been using the same insurance broker for greater than two decades. I let him do the research. Mercury always has had the lowest rates. I've shopped around outside a broker, but always it's Mercury with the lowest rates. Find a broker, let them do the work for you. Have your current policy in hand so it's an apples to apples comparison.
AgLiving06
Only problem I've had with Liere is he never shops your insurance after you sign with him (at least in my case). You stay with whoever he put you with and the rate increases start.

I've had to go find cheaper rates and then go back to him and ask if he can match, which he usually can, but what's the point of an agent if you're still hunting rates on your own?
Corps_Ag12
AG
What does everyone think of AAA? The girlfriend has it and I checked it vs my USAA coverage and it was substantially cheaper
scd88
AG
Carriers will use the data in your "insurance profile" differently. A lot of them have teaser intro rates that will go up over a 2 or 3 year period.

If you have a home that may muddy the waters if you are looking to package your home and auto. There are a lot of different homeowner policies out there; Amica has one of the best.
Bryan_Massey
Hi AgLiving06! Bryan Massey with Liere Insurance here. First of all, we really appreciate your business and thank you for coming back to us to give us a chance to match other quotes you have received.

Every year, about a month before your renewal date we reach out to every customer to conduct a policy review and offer a re-shop of their policies to see if the company that they are with is still the best option for them. In addition to reaching out once a year, we are happy to re-shop your policies whenever you would like. All you have to do is call or email our office and ask us.

Many of the carriers that we write through do not sell insurance directly to the consumer and you have to go through an agent to be written with them. When you get a chance, can you please contact me directly so that we can make sure that have good contact information for you on file and that you are getting the renewal emails that we send? Thank you again and I will hope to hear from you.
JP76
When I was shopping insurance a few years ago Amica was on the higher end. I switched to progressive 2 years after using a Goosehead agent to shop it. The first year is always a teaser rate in my experience. After only being with progressive for less than 1 week I had 2 vehicles hit by 2 inch hail with damages of 10k and around 2.5k. They were easy to work with and paid out quickly. I also have had boat insurance with them for 12 years now. My goosehead agent was actually able to get me a cheaper rate on my boat for the same coverage than what I was paying online directly through them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.