Need to find car for elderly mom

2,502 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by '03ag
newhowdyag2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My mom was rear ended (drove a Kia Soul) and the car has been totaled (weird because it looked fine...barely damage on the plastic).

She's getting a little over $7k and needs to find a replacement. She liked the Soul because it was a little higher off the ground and easy to get in/out of (spinal stenosis) and had a lot of storage space (plus she didn't have to bend far to get stuff from the back).

What do y'all suggest? She only drives a few k miles a year, but is on a budget so gas mileage is also important.
Macarthur
I think staying in that price range, find another Kia. They are really good cars and you can get them a bit cheaper than a Honda or Toyota.

You can find a pretty good Optima in that price range.
newhowdyag2004
A sedan is too low for her back. Maybe a higher mileage Sportage?

How many miles would you stay under for a Kia?
dubi
AG
Used Kia or Hyundai suv; the seats are higher.
Macarthur
newhowdyag2004 said:

A sedan is too low for her back. Maybe a higher mileage Sportage?

How many miles would you stay under for a Kia?

Yeah, I like the sportages. However, those tend to hold their value much better so finding a lower mileage one in that price range might be tough.
Macarthur
Here's kinda what you're looking at....

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/806349302/overview/
Flaith
AG
I'd cross shop Nissan Kicks/Rogue and Kia Niro/Sportage
'03ag
Another Soul

@MeltdownAgs
meggy09
AG
Just get her an Uber account
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
'03ag said:

Another Soul
This seems to be the best idea.

She's already familiar with the layout etc.
GrapevineAg
AG
Toyota Avalon
'03ag
1agswitchin4lanes said:

'03ag said:

Another Soul

and the OP said she liked it. I've found the "lifted sedan" type cars to be easier for my older mom to get in and out of than a full on crossover SUV.

@MeltdownAgs
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
'03ag said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

'03ag said:

Another Soul

and the OP said she liked it. I've found the "lifted sedan" type cars to be easier for my older mom to get in and out of than a full on crossover SUV.
X2.

One of the reasons I picked up a 'boost Flex.

Parents have an easier time getting and and out of it.
Aggiemike96
AG
newhowdyag2004 said:

(weird because it looked fine...barely damage on the plastic).
Buy it back and pocket any difference?
OnlyForNow
AG
I've got an '06 ford E350 diesel van I'll sell her... CHEAP.
CanyonAg77
AG
Unless your mom had you really, really late in life, she's probably not thrilled with the label "elderly". Is she in her 70s, or is she really elderly, like mid 80s and not going to be driving much longer?

As bad as leases usually are, it's been suggested on here before to lease a car for an elderly driver. They won't go over the mileage limit, and the dealer takes care of all the service.

But if she needs a car for another 10-20 years, go ahead and buy. A decent car, well maintained will last most of her life.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
OnlyForNow said:

I've got an '06 ford E350 diesel van I'll sell her... CHEAP.
12 or 15 packer?
Guitarsoup
AG
newhowdyag2004
I learned the damage is structural and that's why it was totaled. It would cost about $5k to fix.

The check she would get is about $7k. We know the Kia runs well, so would it be worth buying back, fixing, and pocketing the last $2k?
dubi
AG
newhowdyag2004 said:

I learned the damage is structural and that's why it was totaled. It would cost about $5k to fix.

The check she would get is about $7k. We know the Kia runs well, so would it be worth buying back, fixing, and pocketing the last $2k?
Can you post the itemized quote?

Then folks can say yea or nay.
newhowdyag2004
Ok, lemme try to get it.
CanyonAg77
AG
newhowdyag2004 said:

I don't think I'd spend anything on a car known to have structural issues, unless the appraiser blew it totally out of proportion, which seems unlikely.

Assuming you really can fix it for $5k, I'd guess that the finished car is no longer going to be worth $7k. Maybe it's worth only $5k, so you're basically even, except that mom is now driving a salvage title car, and will get nothing at the next sale....or traffic accident.

Looking at auto trader, there are a lot of Kia Souls for sale at about $8K that have 60-80k miles. So she could put just a little with her check and have another Soul that should last her a long, long time. Bump that to $10k, and you're in the 40-60K mile range.

OnlyForNow
AG
newhowdyag2004
What about a used Sienna or Odyssey? For under $8k looks like I can get one with 110-130 k miles. She loved her Caravan from 20 years ago and since they are low to the ground, that may work. Thoughts?
'03ag
Have her get in one and see. They are taller than a Soul for sure. But still easier than an SUV.

But honestly how is her driving these days? Because a minivan is BIG. My mom can barely park her allroad.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.