2012 Tundra. Check Engine Lt. + Trac Control Lt.

1,449 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by coolerguy12
Southlake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Went into deratetrans. mode (limited speed to under 50)

Threw a P2441 Code for air injection valve stuck closed.

Reset Check Engine and Trac Control alt. stayed off with no downgraded mode, however, P2441 CISD came back next day with Check Eng. Lt. (Trac Control alt. was sympathetic)

Took it to the Toyota dealer for further diagnosis and estimate:

2,833.79 to replace air pumps and air injection valve.

Truck is a 2012. 90k miles in excellent condition.

Thoughts or recommendations? Emissions warranty is 96 months / 80k, whichever comes first.

Dealer recommended contacting Toyota Warranty Dept. for relief
FC12
thought that part was warranted up to 150k...maybe not. In any case, can always bypass it for a couple hundred dollars. Look up AIP bypass kits.
coolerguy12
AG
Should be warrantied to 10 years 150K. Got mine swapped on an 07 in 2015 over 100K miles at no cost.

If for some reason that doesn't work go with the AIP bypass kit.
fixer
Yeah those air pumps were covered under a huge warranty expansion.

Alternative is to find a junk yard and pick a few up.

You could also do this yourself. The air pumps are mounted in the engine bay and should be easy to do.

Edit... nevermind on the tundra they are under the intake. Ouch.

4runners and tacos have them in engine bay.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
fixer said:

Yeah those air pumps were covered under a huge warranty expansion.

Alternative is to find a junk yard and pick a few up.

You could also do this yourself. The air pumps are mounted in the engine bay and should be easy to do.

Edit... nevermind on the tundra they are under the intake. Ouch.

https://tundraheadquarters.com/extends-air-injection-pump-coverage/
GrapevineAg
AG
fixer said:

On my 4Runner (4.7L V8 2UZ-FE), it's under the intake as well. I installed a bypass kit years ago and no problems since. I figure I can replace it if/when I have to do the starter.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
GrapevineAg said:

fixer said:

On my 4Runner (4.7L V8 2UZ-FE), it's under the intake as well. I installed a bypass kit years ago and no problems since. I figure I can replace it if/when I have to do the starter.
Oh that dreaded starter!

The crazy part about this Air pump, is its job is to run only during warmup cycle and then nothing else.
GrapevineAg
AG
Yep, and mine sounded like I had a leaf blower under the hood for about 30 seconds.
fixer
GrapevineAg said:

fixer said:

I was thinking 5th gen 4runner . Looks like v8 has the pump under intake
Southlake
So, I called Toyota and explained that I was just out of warranty and asked for any relief. They called back this morning and offered to knock it down to 1130.08, which is pretty close to the price of the Toyota parts. After market parts would have been approx. 800.00.

So, now I have to decide whether to put a bypass in or have the Dealer replace the Valve.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Southlake said:

So, I called Toyota and explained that I was just out of warranty and asked for any relief. They called back this morning and offered to knock it down to 1130.08, which is pretty close to the price of the Toyota parts. After market parts would have been approx. 800.00.

So, now I have to decide whether to put a bypass in or have the Dealer replace the Valve.
Delete and move on.
Southlake
Hewitt-Tech has first and second gen bypass kits. 230.00 vs. 400.00

Anybody know the difference? I'll call them and find out and pass the info on.
coolerguy12
AG
The guy at Hewitt-tech is very helpful. At least he was 3 years ago when I installed the bypass on a 2006 landcruiser. Bypass all the way, never deal with it again.
MTTANK
AG
IMPOSSIBLE! NOTHING EVER BREAKS ON TOYOTA'S AND THEY LAST FOREVER! LIAR!!
GIG 'EM
coolerguy12
AG
MTTANK said:

IMPOSSIBLE! NOTHING EVER BREAKS ON TOYOTA'S AND THEY LAST FOREVER! LIAR!!

In my experience Toyota has been great about extending warranties on items that become recurring issues. Had a dashboard replaced on a 4Runner that was over 10 years old and around 160,000 miles and had the AIP on my tundra replaced at no cost. Only major repair I have paid for on my Tundra was a new AC coil around 190,000 miles. Not too shabby.

Edit: wrong emoticon.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.