The new toy...

3,758 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ElephantRider
91poohah
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sherp Pro- took delivery this week. Had it at the Houston Pipeliners ClayShoot yesterday. Good times and a lot of fun. Everyone seemed to want a ride, especially through the pond.

javajaws
AG
Does it come with a a snowplow blade for all the panicked coronavirus shoppers?
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
91poohah
AG
No snowplow on mine, but 100 rolls of toilet paper and a case of hand sanitizer were included. Almost made the price worth it because of that. It does seem like a doomsday prepping vehicle that these dry-good hoarders would be lining up to get. Maybe it was good timing getting it before the zombies take over though.
aggieforester05
AG
That's awesome!
Naveronski
AG
Photo isn't working for me?
91poohah
AG
AggieDruggist89
AG
Nope
txyaloo
AG
Here OP:

aggieforester05
AG
What are you going to use it for? No doubt they're awesome vehicles, but seems like they'd rut up your land really bad.
91poohah
AG
Just depends on how you drive it and what conditions you drive it in. You can adjust the tire pressure for different surfaces, so being mindful of that helps a lot. It's a surprisingly light weight vehicle, and the large footprint of the tires spreads that weight out. Normal driving doesn't dig or rut or mess up the land at all. I'm sure in wet conditions it will leave some tracks, but that's part of the fun. But yes, if you crank a sharp turn and spin it around on soft ground you can tear up a yard real quick.

As far as uses, the recreational side seems awesome- Hunting, fishing, rock crawling, off-roading, climbing, mudding and just cruising around in the pasture or on the ranch are all ways I will use it. From a work standpoint, I rent and sell land survey equipment, and will rent it out for commercial projects to some of our customers. They need it for pipeline work, utility line maintenance, construction jobs and other needs where having a vehicle that can go anywhere is useful.
EMY92
AG
aggieforester05 said:

What are you going to use it for? No doubt they're awesome vehicles, but seems like they'd rut up your land really bad.
Seems like those big tires would float over the mud rather than sink into it. The heaviest part of the rig looks like the wheels.
aggieforester05
AG
EMY92 said:

aggieforester05 said:

Seems like those big tires would float over the mud rather than sink into it. The heaviest part of the rig looks like the wheels.
Ever driven a skid steer? It's not so much the tires sinking but the drive method. They twist when turning and that tends to destroy vegetation. You can mitigate it some by taking the widest turns possible. The lack of weight of this will definitely help versus a skid steer.

Plus it just looks like a vehicle that going to tempt you to wade into every mud bog you see. I know I'd have a hard time not doing so.
91poohah
AG
It floats through water with no problems, even with the tires deflated. Totally amphibious, and those giant "paddle tires" keep it moving forward. I'll post some video tomorrow going through a pond. Kinda a weird sensation to just drive into the water, and fun to just float or cruise around like a boat, but an awesome sensation to climb out the other side.

Steers very much like a skid-steer, and it will chomp up the ground if spinning in place. Wider turns do zero damage as mentioned. Lot of fun to drive, it goes anywhere.

sts7049
AG
never seen one of those before...looks sweet!
ElephantRider
AG
91poohah said:

Just depends on how you drive it and what conditions you drive it in. You can adjust the tire pressure for different surfaces, so being mindful of that helps a lot. It's a surprisingly light weight vehicle, and the large footprint of the tires spreads that weight out. Normal driving doesn't dig or rut or mess up the land at all. I'm sure in wet conditions it will leave some tracks, but that's part of the fun. But yes, if you crank a sharp turn and spin it around on soft ground you can tear up a yard real quick.

As far as uses, the recreational side seems awesome- Hunting, fishing, rock crawling, off-roading, climbing, mudding and just cruising around in the pasture or on the ranch are all ways I will use it. From a work standpoint, I rent and sell land survey equipment, and will rent it out for commercial projects to some of our customers. They need it for pipeline work, utility line maintenance, construction jobs and other needs where having a vehicle that can go anywhere is useful.
Had a project in the South Louisiana swamp a few years ago that we could have used one of these on
Furlock Bones
AG
bad ass.
'03ag
Car seat test anyone?
Aggietaco
AG
It's for rent, win-win!
aggieforester05
AG
Aggietaco said:

It's for rent, win-win!
Turo?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I saw you, or someone you know, cruising in around out there in that thing! Was pretty cool looking.

Were y'all setup in the tent near yellow course #10?
91poohah
AG
I was the one driving around. Spent some time on that corner near the yellow course and the guys with the MarshMaster. They are interested in possibly getting one, so had to show it off a little. We were actually on the green course most of the day, and in and out of the pond during lunch and the afternoon. Who were you out there with?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I had a customer shooting with me and his two kids. We were right next to you guys when you stopped at their tent. Cool toy!

What air pressure do you run in those tires?
91poohah
AG
It's measured in mmHg, or millimeters of mercury, which is a nutty version of psi. I keep it about 70 mmHg on dirt, and 100 on asphalt, and crank it up to 200 when it is on the trailer and strapped down. It drops to about 40 for a swamp or snow. But to put all those numbers into perspective, those ranges only run about 1-2 psi. So totally low pressure, about 1.3 psi most of the time.

You can deflate or inflate with the touch of a button. It uses the exhaust to pump up the tires, or opens a valve to let air out. At times, it looks really low and almost flat, and letting all the air out can be used to "lower" the vehicle almost a foot making it easier to climb inside.
91poohah
AG
Survey work in the swamp can suck. Air boats, canoes, swamp buggy, Jeeps, MarshMasters, Argos... None are perfect and none really get the job done easily. We have been pleased with the reception to the Seafloor product line for water surveys, but again, not a perfect solution for swamp work. It's a big financial step up to a Sherp, but we are hoping this will be a decent solution for some projects, and we can rent or sell a few of them.

You survey in the Tyler area, right? Do you know James over at Halo Surveying? He recently used one of our boats for a job down in Houston on one of the bayous.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I was wondering cause it looked like they were super low but that's obvious for traction. Really cool!
'03ag
91poohah said:

It's measured in mmHg, or millimeters of mercury

Carny89
What ls motor does it have??
cledus6150
AG
Man now I am even more bummed that I didnt get to go, the company decided that they did not want ANY employees going due to the virus.
ElephantRider
AG
91poohah said:

Survey work in the swamp can suck. Air boats, canoes, swamp buggy, Jeeps, MarshMasters, Argos... None are perfect and none really get the job done easily. We have been pleased with the reception to the Seafloor product line for water surveys, but again, not a perfect solution for swamp work. It's a big financial step up to a Sherp, but we are hoping this will be a decent solution for some projects, and we can rent or sell a few of them.

You survey in the Tyler area, right? Do you know James over at Halo Surveying? He recently used one of our boats for a job down in Houston on one of the bayous.
We used a combination of swamp buggies and air boats. Had several crews threaten to quit over that job. When I say it was in the swamp, it was in the swamp.

My office is in the Tyler area, I don't really survey around here though. I've heard of the company but I've never met anyone with Halo.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.