Vroom, Give Me the VIN...legit?

14,569 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CDUB98
Sully
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are these services legit? I'm looking to get out if my lease a few months early. They say they'll buy it, pick up the truck and send pay me within 24-48 hours after picking it up.

Makes me nervous not going through a brick and mortar dealership and not getting paid for several days.

What am I missing as this seems fishy?
BigRobSA
Sully said:

Are these services legit? I'm looking to get out if my lease a few months early. They say they'll buy it, pick up the truck and send pay me within 24-48 hours after picking it up.

Makes me nervous not going through a brick and mortar dealership and not getting paid for several days.

What am I missing as this seems fishy?
Um, sorry, you even TOUCH the truck to "pick it up", I better have either $XXX in cash in my hand, or a verified amount in my account, or you're getting a size 16 suppository.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
CDUB98
AG
Sold our old Grand Cherokee through GiveMetheVIN.

Showed up with a check in hand and drove it away after verifying everything I put in online.
Sully
AG
Yeah, even giving me a check when getting the truck makes me nervous. Seems like a great way to get screwed.
CDUB98
AG
Sully said:

Yeah, even giving me a check when getting the truck makes me nervous. Seems like a great way to get screwed.

Considering these guys are running a legitimate business that has now been established for years.......I think you're safe.
sts7049
AG
it's legit. sold my CTS V to them a couple years ago
Mookie
AG
They are legit. You'll get wholesale $$$ for your car, GMTV you can haggle too.

They may not be able to buy out your lease FYI. In fact, I would bet they can't.
Sully
AG
How would that work? If I accept an offer then who gets with the lender to take care of the rest of what is owed on the lease?

A dealer would handle that for me if I was going through them, right? I.e. Carmax could "buy" it and would handle all the details. If I was underwater based on what they would give me then I would pay them the remainder towards the payoff amount, right?

Am I off on my understanding of how that would work in getting out of the lease through a "dealer"?
Mookie
AG
Directionally correct. If you had a loan, then yes what described it accurate. You have a lease. Leasing companies have early termination fees, some manufacturers obligate that OEM dealer to have eight of first refusal upon lease term ( which you would not be giving them if you sold it to someone else). Simply put, your lessor may not even let you sell it to anyone but a grounding dealer.
Billy Foster
AG
Don't tell them the CarMax price. When I tried GMTV, that's the only way he tried to value my Grand Cherokee. CarMax+$100 then called me constantly to tell me I needed to sell it to him. Ended up getting $2k more at a local (Austin) higher end used car dealership.
sixiron
AG
Sold our Honda Pilot to GMTV a few months ago. Their initial offer was a little lower than I was hoping for but they came up. Easy process.
Sully
AG
To those of you who sold their vehicle to one of these services, how and when did they pay you? I still can't get over not getting paid for a day or two until after they pick up the vehicle.

What am I missing?
sts7049
AG
I'm pretty sure i was given a check the day they picked it up
CDUB98
AG
I was given a check.

Look, you either trust the established company, or you go find another venue.
Sully
AG
My truck is leased so it's a little different. They need to pay off the lender so there's an extra step and timing in this thing beyond me personally getting a check and depositing it. The lender is fine with them buying it, but I'm still on the hook until they get their money.

Just trying to do my own due diligence with my fellow Ags and establish my own understanding of how this would work.
sts7049
AG
it'll be fine. if you like the offer, go with it.

when you see how nice it is to sell a car from the comfort of your house, you'll wonder why you didn't try this sooner.
G-Town Cracker
AG
I've used give me the vin twice and both times were painless. They cut you a check on the spot.
Sully
AG
I went to the Texas Direct site and entered all the info there and Vroom is who followed up, so looking to go with them. GMTV was several thousand less than Vroom.

Appreciate everyone's experience and insight!
Jack Klompus
AG
Vroom owns Texas Direct now.
PeekingDuck
AG
You'll be fine. They cut a check for value over loan and then they'll clear the loan out within a week.
E
AG
I have a 2017 Audi Q5 I'm thinking of getting rid of in very good condition. I submitted to givemethevin.com ($19k) and Texasdirectauto ($22.2k), needless to say givemethevin.com wont get a second call.

I guess if you still have a note and a more expensive car, givemethevin might not be the choice. I think they might specialize in cars that are paid off and ones they can wholesale easier.

My dad also just sold his Santa Fe that was paid off to TDA, they gave the best offer.
Mookie
AG
They base all of their offers on auction results from Dallas and Nashville. If there is an Audi financial run at manheim Dallas, then they would be competing with your q5.

Just like any wholesaler, if the car has shown strong recent auction performance, or has exceptionally low miles and/or high equipment packages, you'll get good money. Otherwise, you get auction average minus fees.
LeftyAg89
AG
Sold our 2013 Mercedes to them a few months ago. First offer was lowballed, I texted back and said No Thanks we will find another buyer. They replied back asking what is the lowest I would take. I gave them the number I wanted and they took it. Over $2k more than their original offer. Two guys showed up 2 days latter at my house with check in hand. They did a brief walkaround and a short test drive and gave me the check and took off in the car. Painless and quick way to sell a car.

Oh, the only hiccup was we couldn't find the title. They had to make a quick phone call and then said they would take care of it.
cochrum
AG
Will they buy cars that have dents on them? My wife has an old suburu that has several dents on it...
HtownWilly12
The best advice is do your due diligence. I got quotes from GMTV, Texas Direct, and Carmax. GMTV came in about $4k less than Carmax. They give you the convenience factor that is nice but you may be short changed. They also say they will pay you $100 if they can't beat other offers which is probably true but I think that is really intended to give you a false assumption it's the best offer you will find.
Mookie
AG
Yes but be prepared to get a low offer.
CDUB98
AG
GMTV actually gave me more than I asked for my Grand Cherokee. Maybe it was a hot commodity at the time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.