71 IH Scout 800b

9,931 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Hwy30East
barney94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's my favorite "vintage" color - I like the Chevy mint green flavor best, with a white top
EFE
AG
So do autozone or orielly's make a double flaring tool that actually works??? I'm about to chuck both of the ones I've got over the fence right now. I've YouTubed this a half dozen ways and I can't get a double flare to set for the life of me. Starts out almost there, and then by the time I'm done I've got a single flared brake line. Do they absolutely have to be doubled?
GrapevineAg
AG
There's a professional version (google double flare press) and then there's what you can rent from AutoZone and O'Reilly's. The latter does not work well, especially with stainless steel lines. They work okay with Cunifer brake lines though (softer material). Looks like a good tool is ~$200.
EFE
AG
Found a tool at NAPA that worked great and got 2/3rds of the hardlines plumbed before I some how boogered it up and snapped the pin on the little piece that makes the flare. I'll get another one in the AM and hopefully they have the flex line for the rear end as well and I *might* have this thing rolling and *stopping* tomorrow afternoon, if not I'll get the hard lines plumbed and have the flex line by Tuesday.
EFE
AG
Hardlines all plumbed in, flexlines installed on the front end and the flex line for the rear axle should be here Tuesday.

And this is the best $40 tool I've bought in a long time. It makes perfect double flares err'time.

EFE
AG
First backroads cruise is in the books
https://imgur.com/a/4yUbb5A
https://imgur.com/a/tufJOXi
Mookie
AG
Man that's awesome! Congrats on getting on the road, you look really damn happy.
EFE
AG
Holy crap am I happy! It's been like three weeks of set backs to get it rolling. I'd get one thing buttoned up and something else would fall apart. The old starter petered out two weeks ago and it's taken that long to get the new one in. So I just used that down down time to get as much of the little stuff like dome lights, gauges, etc squared away. Gauges will need to be swapped out as my voltmeter is the only one that currently works. But hot damn! I got this little ranch truck moving again!
Centerpole90
AG
Next time let novia drive and you take video. You'll be OB (edit to add auto board, forgot where we were) hero.

Just sayin.
EFE
AG
She is a LOT prettier than me
Ol_Ag_02
AG
EFE said:

She is a LOT prettier than me

DIAF *******.
EFE
AG
So I've managed to get a lot and and nothing done during the Quarantine.

*Ordered Lexan to fill the whole in the back window, cut it a smidge too small, and then reordered during the great sneeze guard run of 2020, still waiting on second piece to get here to cut it right.

*"Upgraded" the 2 gal boat gas tank under the passenger seat to a new 3gal boat tank. (That extra gallon gives me an extra 10 miles of range!)

*Original flashers sent with painless kit quit working with the LED lights, had to order LED flashers from Amazon, ordered them on April 5, they got here yesterday. Installed them at lunch.

*Drove the Scout to work yesterday on the last day of Abbotts "Drive whatever you want cause the DMV is shut down" act/order of 2020.

*Working on paperwork today to get the bonded title and insurance figured out so I can legally drive this thing around

*need to get over to CP90 to get the manifold resurfaced, now that the world is opening back up, that may happen sooner.
Hwy30East
Nice job EFE!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.