71 IH Scout 800b

9,924 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Hwy30East
EFE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I took over a project from my Dad in the form of an 800b. So far I've replaced the fuel pump and plugged the accessory vacuum lines, and soaked and cleaned up and replaced gaskets etc on the 1bbl carb. Plan to replace the plugs and wires next and go through the distributor to make sure it's correct there. It turns over, but I'm not getting fuel much past the filter between the pump and the carb. Fuel gets all the way to the filter and then hits a wall. What gives?

Pics of my new headache and obsession:

Duncan Idaho
My guess..the fuel pump isnt generating enough pressure to get past the filter
EFE
AG
Even with a brand new pump? The filter is a mesh type not a paper, so i figured it wouldn't get much resistance there? I was going to pull the line off the carb to see if I can get it to flow to that point this evening or weekend depending on work. Can't wait to get another hour of daylight back so I have more time to work on it in the afternoons.
AG
If you use starting fluid does it start and fill up the filter at the higher rpm?

And is this the glass bowl vac fuel pump combo or the later fuel only? I think the fuel only one requires a spacer, but its been a long time since I looked at one
EFE
AG
I checked it yesterday and I've got fuel to the carb. But I've got no heat to the coil, which isn't surprising as rats had taken up residence in it for the past couple of years while it sat idle. O swapped it from the dual vac/fuel pump to just a fuel pump. I'm planning on swapping to a Weber carb and electric wipers, so I don't need the dual set up. I'm going to check to see where I've got power to between the distributor, coil and regulator tomorrow afternoon and see if I can't make a short term jumper from there to get it to fire. Once I can get it on pavement I'll start sorting out the painless kit to tidy up the wiring. Talked to a buddy that has a full fab shop today about breaking out the bed pans and some other easy stuff on the body.
Duncan Idaho
Quote:

I'm going to check to see where I've got power to between the distributor, coil

As cheap as all of these parts would be, I'd just get new new wires, plugs, coil, rotor, cap and condenser.

I'd even consider a pertronix or other electronic distributor.

About $200 worth of parts and you will fix any ignition problems and make it more reliable.
EFE
AG
That's the ultimate goal, but for now I just need to be able to move it to and from the driveway so that once I start re-wiring the whole thing I can move around with a creeper etc.
Duncan Idaho
Those would help you get there and wouldn't be a stop gap...ultimately it might save you a few bucks vs a stop gap.

Plus none of those would require rewiring ...maybe a vampire tap depending on model
Centerpole90
AG
I want to come sit on the cooler, drink your beer, and tell you what you're doing wrong one afternoon. Then drive home before any real work starts.
EFE
AG
Say when
will.mcg
AG
Where are you located? I am almost done "restoring" a 1964 IH Scout 80.

Which engine does yours have?

What did the fuel pump bowl look like on the old pump? Was it full of dirt? If so, you need to primarily drop your gas tank(s) & either clean & restore or replace at least one of them.

Have you checked for spark at the plugs? Check out ihpartsamerica's forum. It is really helpful. Their prices are reasonable on the stuff you can't get locally.

Let me know if I can help with anything at all.
TxAG-010
AG
Come on man.....We NEED pictures!!!!
I am in the middle ( can I say that if I have't really done anything yet) of a '71 800b.
EFE
AG
So, after much piss anting around and piddling with the existing (lol) rat chewed wiring and having to hold my mouth just right to get it to turn over, today I threw caution to the wind and said eff it and hacked what was left of the wiring out. I've got a painless kit sitting in my workshop that I was trying to hold out on, but time to get this thing running and wired right.

I also decided to swap to a Delcotron 10si alternator to ditch the external voltage regulator for something a little more modern and capable of running accessory electronics. So no real progress to show, but once I get the wiring started I'll be sure to chronicle my mishaps here.
EFE
AG
I'm in the RGV. It's got the straight 6 in it. The saddle tanks are toast and have been. It had been running with an old metal boat gas tank hidden under the passenger seat that is amazingly clean. I plan on swapping to a single tank between the frame above the rear axle. I saw a slick version of this and I can weld so moving crossmembers forward isn't much to worry about.
will.mcg
AG
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QyTMtfd5zqtoS4hYA
TxAG-010
AG
Awesome rig! I love those trucks, just a great american car.
will.mcg
AG
Thank you. It's no show car but I enjoy it. The farthest trip I have taken was about 70 miles. It was great weather & enjoyable for about 45 minutes. Then I was just tired. Mine has a four cylinder & three speed transmission so I was nearly wide open maintaining 59 MPH.
locogringo
AG
I support your venture! Good luck with it!

I also love how Scouts are a little unique and quirky, but somehow there is like 5 of us with them on this board now. A very good thing, Help this board have more "build" threads than white F150 threads.
will.mcg
AG
When you have it up & running.........get ready for the compliments to come on your "jeep", "is that a bronco?". Either way a compliment is a compliment. For every five people that compliment it one seems knows what it is. Have fun, don't rush, & you'll enjoy driving it in no time.
Centerpole90
AG
That's FJ40 feels right there.

Small 4wd?? Must be a Jeep.....
EFE
AG
I've got a custom fab job that landed in my lap yesterday to knock out tonight and the water is supposed to be flat in the gulf this weekend. So I'm likely on hold until Sunday if I'm not too worn out from hauling fish out of the blue water all weekend.
Aggietaco
AG
This isn't the GB, keep your chit chat to a minimum and post more pics of your binder.
EFE
AG
Who are you again?
Aggietaco
AG
AB lurker living through other people's projects vicariously since I have no room for my own.
EFE
AG
You're just a straight up lurker these days, rarely see you post in what used to be the usual haunts. But then again, I don't post much either. Will post more Scout progress Sunday.
EFE
AG
Fishing got cancelled last minute, so I spent part of yesterday afternoon and most of today re-wiring everything in the engine compartment, front lights, and the ignition switch. So far the painless kit has lived up to its name. Everything is well labeled and they send you a 3/4" thick manual with plenty of illustrations for dummies like me. So now the engine wiring is nice and tidy, not a rat chewed wire in sight. Wired the ignition up and ran new plugs and wires while I was at it. Once I double and triple checked everything to make sure I hadn't somehow miswired something I gave it a crank. On the bright side, I got a better sounding more powerful crank than I was getting through the old wiring. But still no fire. I'm thinking the old carb isn't jetting like it should or something along those lines. I'll probably get one of our shop mechanics from work to swing by this week to see if I'm missing something obvious. If it's the carb I'm thinking of going the Weber route unless someone else has a better/cheaper suggestion. Here's some pics of the progress so far.

Crossed through the firewall in the same spot most of the original wiring did

Don't forget to put the grommet on before you go any further

I started splitting off the various wiring groups so that I could better wrap them individually and keep things tidy

More of that

Also plugged in the new Delco 10si alternator

New home for the fuse box, not much room for it anywhere else that made much sense, and it's out of the way enough but still easy to get at.

I'll get to the tail section eventually, but I'm gonna wait on running wires back there until I get the bed/body/gas tank work out of the way first so I don't accidentally cut or generally boot it up by having it in the way

Everything wrapped up and out of the way across the engine bay

Headlight section and the gauge wire that I need to get new senders for. Also bolted a battery tender under the hood since this thing may sit for extended time between drives.
will.mcg
AG
Nice work. You should be able to get a rebuild kit for your carb for about $50. It's not that hard to do if you have never rebuilt one. Yes a Weber would be easy to swap & miiight run better.

I am guessing you plan to simply get this thing road worthy & enjoy driving it? No full restore plans?
EFE
AG
Already rebuilt the Carb... it was pretty locked up after sitting for so long, so I soaked it for 24hrs in a bucket of carb cleaner. Came out nice and clean, blew it out and replaced all the gaskets etc that we're in the kit. But it's still not spraying. Gonna pick up some starting fluid to see if I can at least get it to belch some smoke out of the tail pipe that way. I like the idea of a Weber, less dependence on vacuum systems is a big plus in my book. But wouldn't be opposed to a cheaper option for the short go. Overall plan is to get this thing running soundly, repair and replace the bed and fix some other spots in the cab where it rusted out and clean up/modernize the interior, but keep the overall ranch truck look. And have a ranch truck/weekend errand runner.
Centerpole90
AG
You're on the right path. Spark. Fuel. Air.

If it won't hit on starting fluid, you know something else is afoot besides the carb. Have you pulled a plug, held it to the head and observed a spark? Get it hitting on starter fluid/a little gasoline poured down it's throat before you fret over a carb kit.

I should have come to help..... I could have sat in the seat with my beer reading texags between catnaps while you toiled away and when you said "okay, hit it" - I could have kept dozing with my beer balanced perfectly between the steering wheel and my belly.

Top quality help like me don't come cheap.
EFE
AG
If you're willing to make the hour pilgrimage west, I'd be sure to have your favorite barley pop stocked and might even boil a steak for you.
EFE
AG
So back at it this afternoon. I've replaced the coil, points, condenser, plugs and wires and still not getting fire to a grounded plug.... what am I missing?
EFE
AG
Wait, looking at the distributor, it's way out of time.... and while trying to move the timing back, I every so tenderly bonked the 40yo radiator with the ass end of my ratchet and now I've got a different set of problems...
EFE
AG
ITS ALIVE!!!!!

At least for 30 second intervals before the starting fluid runs out... but I just smogged the the neighborhood up with the most satisfying cloud of black smoke!
EFE
AG
I got this MF'er idlin'
TxAG-010
AG
Yes!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.