Head rest angles

2,187 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BrazosDog02
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've noticed a trend or change fairly recently in truck and SUV seat head rest design to have the damn head rest angled forward fairly aggressively, so much so that if you prefer a more upright seat back angle, it actually is sort of constantly jabbing you in the back of the head, or at least keeps you from comfortably positioning your head back without hitting it. It also means only the top or forward little bit of the rest is touching your head. It's horribly awkward and annoying.

In Fords, do they make a way to adjust this crap? On my wife's expedition, we literally pulled it out and put it back in facing backwards.
akaggie05
AG
I've noticed this too, especially on newer vehicles. I can only assume that the angled design has been found to provide better protection in the event of a crash (not sure how but headrests are pretty much all about safety, not aesthetics/comfort).

Now I'm curious and will probably wind up watching several slow-mo crash test dummy videos...
TxSquarebody
akaggie05 said:

I've noticed this too, especially on newer vehicles. I can only assume that the angled design has been found to provide better protection in the event of a crash (not sure how but headrests are pretty much all about safety, not aesthetics/comfort).

This. It's all to mitigate neck injury during a crash.

Now I'm curious and will probably wind up watching several slow-mo crash test dummy videos...
Furlock Bones
AG
i've noticed this trend as well. it's very annoying.
tailgatetimer10
AG
In my f150 it's fully adjustable. I thought most vehicles were as well..
agnerd
AG
akaggie05 said:

I can only assume that the angled design has been found to provide better protection in the event of a crash
Correct. Cuts down on whiplash a lot.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Would like the protection of a head rest, but some of us tall people, the head rest comes to be more of a "you'll get a swift death because the top is at the base of your skull" rest.

And check that the head rest didn't get pulled forward accidentally. My two small cherubs have done that to me a couple of times playing in the car. Don't notice it till later....

~egon
CrottyKid
AG
My dad pulled his headrest all the way out and put it back in backwards so that it angled back. He liked that better. hahaha
htxag09
AG
CrottyKid said:

My dad pulled his headrest all the way out and put it back in backwards so that it angled back. He liked that better. hahaha
aka what the OP said he did...
cav14
CrottyKid said:

I only do that when I actually want to lay my head back to take a nap. Otherwise I can see you getting a bad case of whiplash in an rear-end accident.
ccolley68
AG
Mine always seem to be smashed forward from the kids using them as handrails walking through the backseat. You get used to it
AgCPA95
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

In Fords, do they make a way to adjust this crap? On my wife's expedition, we literally pulled it out and put it back in facing backwards.
In our 19 Expedition, at first my wife was throwing a fit about the sharply angled headrest as it is a pet peeve of hers if it touching her head or hair. At first it appeared like it didn't adjust but if you play around with it, it will indeed straighten up.
JSKolache
AG
Dr. Doctor said:

Would like the protection of a head rest, but some of us tall people, the head rest comes to be more of a "you'll get a swift death because the top is at the base of your skull" rest.

And check that the head rest didn't get pulled forward accidentally. My two small cherubs have done that to me a couple of times playing in the car. Don't notice it till later....

~egon
Tall probz. I pulled my sun visor off cuz i couldn't see stoplights without ducking down and craning my neck. I also regularly miss cars hiding behind my rearview mirror at 4 way stops. Almost pull out in front of them till i see them.
BigRobSA
JSKolache said:

Dr. Doctor said:

~egon
Tall probz. I pulled my sun visor off cuz i couldn't see stoplights without ducking down and craning my neck. I also regularly miss cars hiding behind my rearview mirror at 4 way stops. Almost pull out in front of them till i see them.
Same here.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
bbry81
I believe in my wife's expedition you pull it all the way forward then releases and goes straight.
bb2003
AG
I noticed on Lone Star Law, all the wardens that wear a cowboy hat have their headrests turned around backwards so their hats don't hit it.
BrazosDog02
AG
Hate my wife's expedition with this crap. Can't wear my hat in the damn thing. No problem with my 02 F150 and I had no trouble in my 1985 F150...ahhh...bench seats...no headrest....good times. Anyway, you may be able to turn the headrest around but on the expedition you lll have to listen to the kids ***** about not being able to see the dvd so...damn it.
FirstOnRaceDayAg
AG
bbry81 said:

I believe in my wife's expedition you pull it all the way forward then releases and goes straight.
This is the way the headrests operate in my 2016 F-150.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Boy, you got a rough life
reproag
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

MouthBQ98
AG
Apparently they made adjustable ones and non-adjustable ones as far as I can tell on the interwebs, and so far I can't find where someone has definitively demonstrated they can be swapped.

My wife insists she tried to adjust them by using the forward pull and they can't be adjusted. Maybe I should verify.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Somewhere I thought I read that they have headrests now that will lock to the all the way forward position in the event of a rear end collision to help prevent whiplash. Did I make that up? I don't know how it's possible unless there is some sort of momentum sensitive mechanism in the headrest since they are removable.
fooz
bbry81 said:

This is how it works in my ferd 150
BrazosDog02
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

Boy, you got a rough life

Not as rough as the fella trying to offload a Bronco II
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.