2010 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4x4 5.3L - Oil Pressure Sending Unit

982 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aggie_wes
sdc177
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I just acquired this truck Saturday from another TexAgs poster and it has some issues I need to deal with. First off is the oil pressure sending unit.

The youtube videos I have seen say to replace the little filter below the sensor, clean it or don't mention it at all. I talked to a former GM mechanic today and he told me to just go without the filter when I replace the sensor.

Thoughts?

And before anyone asks, I already installed a Range Technology Active Fuel Management Disable Device

robstrom
AG
sdc177 said:

So I just acquired this truck Saturday from another TexAgs poster and it has some issues I need to deal with. First off is the oil pressure sending unit.

The youtube videos I have seen say to replace the little filter below the sensor, clean it or don't mention it at all. I talked to a former GM mechanic today and he told me to just go without the filter when I replace the sensor.

Thoughts?

And before anyone asks, I already installed a Range Technology Active Fuel Management Disable Device
I've replaced the sending unit with and without replacing the small filter.

Also if you have the funds available to do so I would recommend instead of the active fuel management device you listed to go ahead and just do a DOD delete kit. While that device turns off the AFM it still leaves the wek parts inside the motor to fail.
Silvy
AG
The rook is not mistaken
sdc177
AG
robstrom said:

sdc177 said:

Thoughts?

I've replaced the sending unit with and without replacing the small filter.

Also if you have the funds available to do so I would recommend instead of the active fuel management device you listed to go ahead and just do a DOD delete kit. While that device turns off the AFM it still leaves the wek parts inside the motor to fail.

Thx, the full delete is on my future list.

I've seen a decent increase in MPG with this device which surprised me!
el_scorcho
AG
The full DOD delete seems overkill on a functioning engine. What happens when there is an actual failure?
robstrom
AG
el_scorcho said:

The full DOD delete seems overkill on a functioning engine. What happens when there is an actual failure?

Usually when the system fails it is a lifter dropping and destroying your cam at the least. Could end up being much worse though.
el_scorcho
AG
Ok, that's fairly catastrophic. Last I read, The plugin devices that disable AFM seem to have their own drawbacks with power draws while engine is off, meaning you need to unplug when not in use. Is that still the case? I've got a 2013 with 60k miles and would like to disable but not ready to go full delete at this point.
Silvy
AG
So typically with an AFM failure, you'll notice an issue immediately and if you stop driving immediately, the damage is limited to the lifter and camshaft.

For the DOD delete, you'll be replacing the cam anyways. So you could go without the delete and wait for failure provided that you're able to take the truck out of commission immediately. Consider the DOD delete as preventative maintenance.
aggie_wes
AG
There's a guy in MO that will do a flash of your ecm to turn DOD off for good. If you pull the intake and valley covers you can basically elimiminate the issue for a long time without doing a full delete kit.

I found a few guides while I was dealing with my own collapsed lifter issue. I'll see if I can dig them up.

If you are going to do the full delete, you still want your ecm flashed, so no wasted effort there.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.