Best Car Insurance?

2,817 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Cassius
texas_tom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a credit score of 650 and have a good driving record (No accidents or traffic tickets in the last 5 years)

I read that these companies are the cheapest for someone like me:

StateFarm, Allstate, and Progressive in the article here:

https://www.johnnyjet.com/cheap-car-insurance-rates-in-austin-tx/

Are there any local companies I should know about that have better deals?

I live in Austin.

Thanks!
Flaith
AG
Just apply online to all the major companies for the best rate

I typically bounce between Geico and State Farm
LeftyAg89
AG
Like Flaith said, get quotes from everyone.

Rates are all over the place.

But after a few years your company will start raising your rate and it will be time to shop around again.
permabull
AG
JSKolache
AG
Texas Farm Bureau or use a local ins broker. The big dogs that advertise are TV are more expensive.
JamesPShelley
JSKolache said:

Texas Farm Bureau or use a local ins broker. The big dogs that advertise are TV are more expensive.
I have used the same broker for two decades. They've paired me with Mercury. I've had incidents where there was an accident or error on my part... I drive it to the repair facility/body shop... and never have talked with an agent. Just drop it off... pick it up... pay a deductible. One time when I thought my rates might be too high... took my policy... walked into a local broker (mine is 160 miles away)... broker saw "Mercury" and flat out told me they're the least expensive and didn't want to waste my time.

Broker. Let them do the work for you.
ccolley68
AG
As an agent, my advice would be to do what others have said, and just pop out some online applications and pick the cheapest one with the options you want. Until you have significant assets, you don't need to bother with an agent for personal lines. All they are going to do is make the price 10-15% higher for their commission to do what you can do yourself in an hour. Once you have a house, a couple of cars, maybe a boat, some jewelry or art or Gun collection, swimming pool, some kids, and a need for an umbrella, then you can start to look into a broker
Jrod05
AG
You are saying if you use an agent they increase it by 10-15%??... ya that isn't true for all companies, the big internet ones like geico and progressive you can buy cheaper thru an independent agent that has those companies to broker. I'm a state farm agent in Austin we don't give discounts if you purchase online and we don't increase the rate if you purchase thru an agent. So that is wrong...
ccolley68
AG
No, what I'm saying is when you use an independent agent, their commission is part of the equation, not that they jack up the rate because of it. But if someone has to get paid for it, just eliminate that person and keep the savings. Some independents may be able to get you a lower rate upfront for a year or two, but it will eventually go back to center. Unless you want an agent bouncing you from term to term to different carriers, just find the one that works best for you online and run with it. Companies like State Farm and others that don't work with independents are a different ball of wax. Sounds like OP is just looking for insurance on a single vehicle, no one whether independent, direct, online, whatever is going to be jumping through hoops to offer a bunch of savings. Just my $0.02
JAW3336
AG
You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Progressive direct undercuts the agents almost every time, as does Travelers and several others also.
Mookie
AG
I went through liere and ended up with encompass. Very happy.
Jrod05
AG
I do know what I'm talking about most of the time, it's my understanding from a colleague that is broker they can sometimes get it cheaper than progressive direct. I'm not sure the circumstances.

Edit just so it's not misinformation I'll check but I'm a captive agent and I'll be annoyed if the broker I referred to told me incorrectly
RolloInsurance_Morgan
Would love to help you out, we can shop carriers for you and find you the lowest price for the most adequate coverage for you. Shoot me an email if you are interested. Morgan.Moudy@RolloInsurance.com
Post removed:
by user
Cassius
I have geico and like it. Ive had one hit and run claim under uninsured motorists and it was hassle free.

I also like their app. I never deal with an agent, alwats use the app.

I had Allstate before that, for years, and they kept jacking my rates. When I threatened to leave they would not match Geicos price.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.