Ram 2500 Gravel Hauling

1,388 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DallasAggies01
DallasAggies01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Want to get yalls thoughts in hauling 2 yards of gravel in the bed of a 4x4 Ram Cummins. I know it's likely over the rated weight limit
Kenneth_2003
AG
You want to put nearly 6,000 lbs in the bed of a 3/4ton truck?
TRIDENT
AG
Rent or borrow a trailer.
TxAggieBand85
AG
Flatbed trailer sized to handle this load. Make sure within capability of tow vehicle and trailer brake are likely required. (Brake controller)

Don't overload the truck, I got lucky in high school doing this and could not stop at red light.

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
The topsoil gravel yard I go too usually will only put 1/2 yard in 1/2 tons, 1000lbs or so
I would imagine they wouldn't drop 2 yards of anything not a trailer
FamousAgg
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

The topsoil gravel yard I go too usually will only put 1/2 yard in 1/2 tons, 1000lbs or so
I would imagine they wouldn't drop 2 yards of anything not a trailer

Sounds about right, I have done 1/2 to 3/4 yard of soil in the back of my 1500. It's definitely pushing the limits, I am only driving about 10 miles on country roads and I only do about 50mph.
DallasAggies01
AG
That's what I thought. Just wanted to get a consensus.

Thanks y'all.
Kenneth_2003
AG
TxAggieBand85 said:

Flatbed trailer sized to handle this load. Make sure within capability of tow vehicle and trailer brake are likely required. (Brake controller)

Don't overload the truck, I got lucky in high school doing this and could not stop at red light.

Work rented a forklift one Saturday morning to load a flatbed hotshot. That afternoon both work trucks took off with their own cargo trailers for a project. Those of us that weren't going in the field stood there looking at the forklift wondering how we were going to return it. Then they looked at me since I was the only one with a truck!

So I hitched it up and would take it home for the rest of the weekend and return it Monday morning. F150 4x4 5.0... With a forklift on a hydraulic trailer that for some reason known only to God had no brakes (4 pin connector and wiring harness)... That was NOT a fun drive.
DriftwoodAg
AG
DallasAggies01 said:

Want to get yalls thoughts in hauling 2 yards of gravel in the bed of a 4x4 Ram Cummins. I know it's likely over the rated weight limit
take two trips
JB
AG
Rent dump trailer at Home Depot
DallasAggies01
AG
Trying to avoid that as the stone yard is 45 miles away from location.

Honestly what I was thinking from the beginning is using my 14ft utility trailer with a tarp to keep the gravel from spraying everyone and probably 1/2 yard in the bed.

If that doesn't work then it'll be a dump trailer from HD
DriftwoodAg
AG
DallasAggies01 said:

Trying to avoid that as the stone yard is 45 miles away from location.

Honestly what I was thinking from the beginning is using my 14ft utility trailer with a tarp to keep the gravel from spraying everyone and probably 1/2 yard in the bed.

If that doesn't work then it'll be a dump trailer from HD

I doubt your 14ft will have strong enough axles
Bob_Ag
AG
Use the right tool for the job.
MouthBQ98
AG
Most dual axle utility trailers are by default two 3500lb axles. I've hauled 2+ tons on a 16 footer. No trailer brakes. You just have to drive like that is what you are doing.
DallasAggies01
AG
Picked up the gravel with the utility trailer and the bed of of the truck. Guy at the stone yard said there's no problem.

Gave plenty of room for braking but other than that didn't even know the weight was behind me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.