Swollen Lug Nuts

10,000 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by drumboy
AgsWin2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dropped my truck off for oil change, tire rotation, etc.

Guy calls and says they can't get the lug nuts off the tires because they're swollen, but asks if he'd like me to have all 24 of them replaced for $9 each. I told him to pound sand. I think this is a new sales/mechanic tactic because this had never happened to me before until I took my wife's car in last time before we traded it in.

I bet if I took it to discount tire they could rotate it without a problem. Anyone else here ever been told their lug nuts were swollen (on their vehicle )???
schmendeler
AG
try wearing looser fitting underwear.
MouthBQ98
AG
Ford? They did idiotically make their factory lugs out of threaded steel sleeves with aluminum alloy bodies, and because you have dissimilar metals, you get a galvanic cell that results in gradual corrosion including expansion between the steel interior and aluminum outer. Add to that that the aluminum part is softer than any hardened steel tool, and they get too tight, them mangled by tools, risking stripping one or worse, snapping off a lug.

It was an idiotic idea done for style and an inconsequentially tiny weight savings.

Get a set of chromed steel ones, and replace them all.
ccolley68
AG
Have him check the blinker fluid while he's in there
MouthBQ98
AG
The chrome steel ones are not cheap. I spent something like $75 for a set.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Gorilla sells sets for much less.
dodger02
AG
If it's a Ford, it could definitely be a problem.

Mine were a mess so I replaced them with a Gorilla set.
AgsWin2011
AG
Yes, it's a Ford. I can change them out myself. This is a piss poor design.

It's funny that they "couldn't get them off" but said they could replace them.
AgsWin2011
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Is there a good retail place to buy them or are they cheaper online? Looks like the OEM lug nut size is 14x1.5
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Wanted to set my ****ing F150 on fire last summer while trying to change a flat tire on the side of the road.
EMY92
AG
They could get them off, but may not have been able to tighten them when they put them back on. Better to ask before than after.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Heismenberg said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Is there a good retail place to buy them or are they cheaper online? Looks like the OEM lug nut size is 14x1.5
Amazon, but what of vehicle is it?

Several have different mounts etc.
Aggie Pharmer
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Heismenberg said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Could you give a recommendation for a 2019 Ford F-250?
AgsWin2011
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Heismenberg said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

It's a 2015 F150 XLT
The Fife
I'm pretty sure the county health department can help with your swollen nuts.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Maybe your swollen nuts just need a shampoo ?
Ag for Life
AG
Here's one source:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/gorilla-lug-nut-kit-factory-style-bulge-chrome-f-150-2015-2020-raptor-f-150-2017-2020/p/WHLLN39/

I got the same lug nuts for our 2015 F150 back in the summer for around $50 on ebay. I looked up that link, but it's not active anymore. It's ridiculous that they needed to be replaced but oh well. The factory front brake rotors are complete garbage on F150s as well. I had to replace those after about 45K miles.
drumboy
AG
The guy at CostCo told me that my nuts were swollen when getting tires last week, but I actually believe him because he wasn't trying to sell me new ones, so I ordered a new OEM set recently.

Related....here's my experience buying tires at CostCo:

Got a New Years Day special for $150 off BFG tires so I ordered a new set of KO2s, showed up Friday at 4:30 for my appointment and mentioned that I was missing a lug nut so I'd like to buy one. This started an issue since he said they didn't have one for my stock-wheel Tundra, even though they did have M14X1.50 lug nuts so I ran to AutoZone to buy a replacement, which was just like what they sold, and finger-tightened it in the parking lot to meet their 'all lugs required' requirement. Since they couldn't do the installation immediately they had to refund the whole purchase and then have my repurchase at the same price (when I returned 10 minutes later), which required a manager to give me the discount I originally got online. Halfway through tire change he brought the new lug nut in and warned me that it was seating different than the other, 'yeah no ****, sherlock, you said I had to have all lug nuts and VatoZone doesn't sell Toyota OEM lug nuts'. Another warning came later about the swollen lug nuts. Whole process took 3 hours and it wasn't busy so I wasn't stuck waiting for other cars to be completed. At least I didn't have to buy the warranty certs like I usually do at Discount, and the folks were nice, but cheese & crackers, it was annoying spending my Friday evening waiting at CostCo.
Jack Cheese
AG
Wife took her car in to Costco for tire rotation. Took them like 30 mins, gave her keys back, have a nice day, etc.

Got home, tires were not rotated. I was pissed but didn't want to deal with setting another appt so just did it myself.

Won't be going back to Costco for tires anymore.
Aggie Pharmer
AG
I got new tires on my Silverado at Costco last year. Dropped it off in the morning, picked it up at lunch, no hassle. Going down the road, I checked my tire pressure and noticed that the back tires were inflated to 75-80 psi and the fronts were in the 70-75 psi range. I thought that was strange. Parked at worked, checked my door panel and max pressures were listed in the 35-40 psi range. Called them up and asked WTF? Turns out the jabronies that were installing tires must have mixed up my pressures with the Super Duty in the next bay.
Took the truck back up to them and had them check everything and reset the air pressure (I could have done it, but I had time and it was their screw-up).
There was something else I can't quite recall that also left a bad taste in my mouth with Costco as well. I'll never buy tires there again though. My local Discount Tire is a really good shop and I'll buy from them from now on.
aggietony2010
AG
Heismenberg said:

Dropped my truck off for oil change, tire rotation, etc.

Guy calls and says they can't get the lug nuts off the tires because they're swollen, but asks if he'd like me to have all 24 of them replaced for $9 each. I told him to pound sand. I think this is a new sales/mechanic tactic because this had never happened to me before until I took my wife's car in last time before we traded it in.

I bet if I took it to discount tire they could rotate it without a problem. Anyone else here ever been told their lug nuts were swollen (on their vehicle )???

This is actually fairly common when the manufacturer uses two piece lug nuts. They can be taken off, but usually require a bigger lug wrench socket than normal. It's not really a problem for a tire shop, but when you're on the side of the road with only the factory included lug wrench trying to change the tire, you'll be ****ed. Fortunately for me, I was in my driveway and after 15 minutes with only one lug loosened, I was able to get the tire inflated to about 22psi and drive it a mile to the discount tire. But if I had been on the road, I'd have had to call roadside assistance.
Ag for Life
AG
Aggie Pharmer said:

I got new tires on my Silverado at Costco last year. Dropped it off in the morning, picked it up at lunch, no hassle. Going down the road, I checked my tire pressure and noticed that the back tires were inflated to 75-80 psi and the fronts were in the 70-75 psi range. I thought that was strange. Parked at worked, checked my door panel and max pressures were listed in the 35-40 psi range. Called them up and asked WTF? Turns out the jabronies that were installing tires must have mixed up my pressures with the Super Duty in the next bay.
Took the truck back up to them and had them check everything and reset the air pressure (I could have done it, but I had time and it was their screw-up).
There was something else I can't quite recall that also left a bad taste in my mouth with Costco as well. I'll never buy tires there again though. My local Discount Tire is a really good shop and I'll buy from them from now on.
I bet that thing rode like an unloaded F-650 at those pressures.
FarmerJohn
AG
I'm confused why anyone would go anywhere but Discount Tire unless they live in the Northeast or it's Sunday.
Vernada
AG
1-stop shopping?
Jack Cheese
AG
FarmerJohn said:

I'm confused why anyone would go anywhere but Discount Tire unless they live in the Northeast or it's Sunday.

Costco runs a deal on Michelin and Bridgestone tires in alternating months, free installation and $70 off plus road hazard is included. Discount Tire matches prices but I've had one tell me they couldn't throw in the road hazard as well.

But I've learned my lesson. I'll be going to Discount from now on.
drumboy
AG
FarmerJohn said:

4 275/65/20 KO2s with certs & everything at Discount comes to $1,610. I got the same at CostCo for $1,216 but I think if I need a tire replaced due to road hazard damage CostCo would prorate it but I figure it's a wash since Discount would require me to buy another $50 cert on the new tire.

So $400 or a 33% higher charge at Discount is why I went to CostCo.
Ag for Life
AG
Discount will price match.

I did have a weird issue with discount where they wouldn't mount tires I bought there on custom 20" wheels for my 91 Chevy TT project. I told them the truck and the tire loading rating (Nitto 555 G2) didn't jive for a 91 Chevy for some reason on one of the sizes (staggered fronts narrower than rear tires). I was a little pissed, but I bought the tires anyway (had brought wheels in back of another truck) and took them to a local mom & pop shop to mount. Pretty sure that was lawyer caused BS.
drumboy
AG
I figured they'd price match but I saw the deal at 11PM that night so it wouldn't have been active the next day and didn't want to risk it.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Ag for Life said:

Here's one source:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/gorilla-lug-nut-kit-factory-style-bulge-chrome-f-150-2015-2020-raptor-f-150-2017-2020/p/WHLLN39/

I got the same lug nuts for our 2015 F150 back in the summer for around $50 on ebay. I looked up that link, but it's not active anymore. It's ridiculous that they needed to be replaced but oh well. The factory front brake rotors are complete garbage on F150s as well. I had to replace those after about 45K miles.

X2

Gorilla 61148CX buy from your favorite vendor!
dodger02
AG
I bought mine from CJ Pony Parts. Buy with confidence.

I won't go to Discount any more after they up-sold me on tires twice. Both times I called and made an appointment for a specific set of tires and both times I showed up with confirmation email in hand and was told the tires I wanted weren't available, wouldn't be available for a long time, but more expensive and "better" ones were. The first time, I bit the bullet. The second time, I walked out.

Now I use a local tire shop and have been perfectly happy with their service.

I'll buy toilet paper at Costco but never tires or oil changes.
YellAg2004
AG
So is this something that should be done proactively?

2018 F-150
dodger02
AG
I would.
aggietony2010
AG
YellAg2004 said:

So is this something that should be done proactively?

2018 F-150

Wouldn't hurt. Go see if the lug wrench you keep in your vehicle will actually loosen the lug nuts. It would be a real pain in the ass to discover you've got swollen lug nuts as you try to change a tire on the side of the road.
VitruvianAg
AG
I just went through this on my wife's 14 Escape. Tire shop couldn't remove the nuts they said "go to the Ford dealer and have them remove and replace since its still under warranty.

Yea, no... dealer said when that happens you need to use a 19.5mm socket, I looked at the dude with a jaundice eye, "so if I have a flat tire I can't use the tire iron Ford provides in my car" he said "yea, it's a bad design, we admit it, but you want to buy a new set they are $100! And where do you buy a 19.5mm, sure enough they had one. I have a full set of sockets up to 32mm in impact and standard ratchet and I wasn't going to spend $100 at for or $75 at Advanced Auto.

Took the car home got my 19mm and BFH and got them off, took it back to the tire shop and had them put the tire on and wheels back on.

The OEMs are made of 18mm jugs with a non corroding steel alloy sheath bringing them to 19mm; unless they've started making aluminum alloys or stainless steels that are magnetic (well stainless steel is, but not much)

Bought these instead: https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Chrome-Bulge-Acorn-Lug-Nuts-M12x1-5-for-Ford-Fusion-Escape-Acura-Honda-Chevy/201985163055?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Made in USA if you chose to believe it! I don't care, didn't cost me $100-75! Yea, had to wait a week, NBD.

meggy09
AG
drumboy said:

The guy at CostCo told me that my nuts were swollen when getting tires last week, but I actually believe him because he wasn't trying to sell me new ones, so I ordered a new OEM set recently.

Why the hell would you have issues with your lug nuts then replace with OEM that are going to do it again??
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.