Replacing Halogen Headlights with LED

5,210 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AggieMPH2005
MaroonBloodedAg2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm looking to upgrade the headlights in my 2015 F-150. I currently have factory halogen lights, but I'm looking to upgrade to LEDs. I know making the switch can cause some problems if it isn't done right, so I'm looking for any suggestions as to what is needed/brands to look into or avoid.

I've looked at F150LEDS.com and they advertise their kits have everything needed included, even replacement dust covers to fit the larger bulbs. I'm suspicious though because I can only find great reviews on them, which seems too good to be true.

I've also been looking at Diode Dynamics. I don't know a ton about them, but haven't really seen any major flaws.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm not wanting to spend a fortune replacing the entire headlight assemblies, just upgrade to get better lighting.
TecRecAg
AG
Diode is the way to go. It's an easy switch over in the 150. Do it!
AggieChemist
AG
I can't help with Ferd-specific recommendations but I replaced the halogens in my Silverado with a set of sealight LEDs I got on amazon for about $130 and they are AWESOME
lb3
AG
Canyon99
Morimoto XB LED headlights
Wildmen03
AG
AggieChemist said:

I can't help with Ferd-specific recommendations but I replaced the halogens in my Silverado with a set of sealight LEDs I got on amazon for about $130 and they are AWESOME

They have a headlight / fog light kit for my 2009. I wonder how they'd do?
MaroonBloodedAg2010
What extra parts would I need to get everything set up in addition to the LED bulbs? I am planning on replacing all my front facing lights (low beam, high beam, turn signal/driving lights, and fog lights) and most likely will go with the Diode Dynamics.

Are CANBUS Anti-Flicker modules needed for all of the bulbs? Also, do I need Resistor Kits for the turn signals? The website doesn't say anything about CANBUS modules, and lists Resistor Kits as optional for any turn signal bulbs.

Would I be better getting the yellow or white fog lights?
Tim Weaver
For those switching: the newer LED bulbs seem to be pretty good about beam pattern, BUT you have to keep your lenses polished. A cloudy lens causes the glare that makes LED bulbs so obnoxious.

Also, aim your death rays conservatively. I drive a small car for the MPG and the late model chevies and fords are absolutely blinding when they are tailgating me. I'm seriously thinking about installing a "back off" LED light bar in my rear window.
Aggietaco
AG
Agreed. I drive a Fusion most days and most lights are ridiculous these days, especially on any sort of lifted vehicle. I was very sure about aiming the lights in my truck after I leveled it, but even then, they will light up the cabin of a car if I pull up too close at a stop light.

Seems like we're all in a race to have the brightest headlights, oncoming traffic be damned.
El_Guero512
I went with Diode Dynamics low beams and fog lights made a huge difference on my 2019 F150.
PincheDriller
AG
Try these,

http://www.4x4truckleds.com/crystalux-g11-series-led-headlight-fog-light-conversion-kit/
AggieChemist
AG
I have never been flashed since upgrading to LEDs. But then again, I understand why my truck has rake and I didn't eliminate it with a leveling kit.

When I do truck **** with my truck, I prefer not to have my headlights pointed at the stars.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Diode Dynamic SL1
MaroonBloodedAg2010
Those that went with Diode Dynamics, did you need the Canbus module or resistor kit?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
MaroonBloodedAg2010 said:

Those that went with Diode Dynamics, did you need the Canbus module or resistor kit?
Mine was PNP. Zero error.

I did have a teeeeeensy flicker now and then, but not noticeable unless you were sitting still.

MouthBQ98
AG
Those of us with small cars appreciate it greatly when leveled trucks aim their headlights properly and don't tailgate us. It is absolutely blinding to have high intensity lights shining right in my back window and lighting up the interior bright I can barely see what I am doing. It is truly dangerous in some conditions, and some headlights really are approaching overkill regarding visibility on the road. If they're brighter than most people's high beams....
Complete Idiot
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Diode Dynamic SL1

This is what I put in my 2006 Land Cruiser just a couple weeks ago. Plug n play, I'm happy with them.
El_Guero512
Just like 1AGS said it was plug and play. Sometimes ill get a very small flicker as well
The Wonderer
AG
Tim Weaver said:

For those switching: the newer LED bulbs seem to be pretty good about beam pattern, BUT you have to keep your lenses polished. A cloudy lens causes the glare that makes LED bulbs so obnoxious.

Also, aim your death rays conservatively. I drive a small car for the MPG and the late model chevies and fords are absolutely blinding when they are tailgating me. I'm seriously thinking about installing a "back off" LED light bar in my rear window.
While I tend to agree with you, as a Ferd driver with 4 lights that sit higher than your rearview mirror, I will just turn on my high beams and light up your interior like a sunny July afternoon.
Silvy
AG
No issues getting lit up with 5% tint
clintaggie04
AG
What about for a 2019 F250? I can't find anything I am super excited about so far.
The Wonderer
AG
clintaggie04 said:

What about for a 2019 F250? I can't find anything I am super excited about so far.
Same and don't want to go to HIDs.
Canyon99
clintaggie04 said:

Many people in the ford-trucks.com forum have reported good things about the Beamtech H13 9008 headlights. Price is really low which gives me some concern.
Aggietaco
AG
silverado_lover said:

No issues getting lit up with 5% tint
Might as well just paint your windows black at night.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
clintaggie04 said:

They're working on a dual beam one now. Who knows when it'll be available
chaca5151
Window tint actually helps a ton!

Even though I drive a f350 and sit higher than most vehicles I can't stand car lights reflecting off the mirrors. Usually it's 18 wheelers and lifted trucks are the ones that blind me.

That's the first thing I do when I get a new vehicle, my daughter got a new truck and I told her I'd pay half her tint.
Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I have an amazing beautiful soul. Another might tell you I’m a cold-hearted a$$^ole. Believe them both. I don’t treat people badly. I treat them accordingly - unknown
bmks270
AG
DONT DO IT!
Tim Weaver
The Wonderer said:

Tim Weaver said:

While I tend to agree with you, as a Ferd driver with 4 lights that sit higher than your rearview mirror, I will just turn on my high beams and light up your interior like a sunny July afternoon.
Obviously, because it would be too hard to just pull up 6 feet shorter and be aware of what your headlights are doing to the people in front of you.

This is definitely the best solution to the the problem you are causing by not having any situational awareness, or common courtesy.

Thanks!
The Wonderer
AG
Tim Weaver said:

The Wonderer said:

Tim Weaver said:

Obviously, because it would be too hard to just pull up 6 feet shorter and be aware of what your headlights are doing to the people in front of you.

This is definitely the best solution to the the problem you are causing by not having any situational awareness, or common courtesy.

Thanks!
Then don't turn on a rear fire LED, brochacho.

Don't start no mess, won't be no mess.

*I'm a lawyer, but not your lawyer. This is not legal advice and an attorney-client relationship does not exist between you and me*
Tim Weaver
The Wonderer said:

Tim Weaver said:

The Wonderer said:

Tim Weaver said:

Thanks!

The Wonderer
AG
Tim Weaver said:

The Wonderer said:

Tim Weaver said:

The Wonderer said:

Tim Weaver said:

Thanks!

*I'm a lawyer, but not your lawyer. This is not legal advice and an attorney-client relationship does not exist between you and me*
The Lost
MouthBQ98 said:

Those of us with small cars appreciate it greatly when leveled trucks aim their headlights properly and don't tailgate us. It is absolutely blinding to have high intensity lights shining right in my back window and lighting up the interior bright I can barely see what I am doing. It is truly dangerous in some conditions, and some headlights really are approaching overkill regarding visibility on the road. If they're brighter than most people's high beams....
The behind me bothers me way less than the cars going the opposite direction.

The contrast of really dark, then high beams basically going the other way is brutal.

Same with LED tunnels/street lights. Its so hard to quickly go from daylight to pitch black.
MaroonBloodedAg2010
I got the Diode Dynamics put in yesterday, and I love the results so far. I replaced all my front lights, including low and high beam, fog lights, and turn signals. Simple installation and all the lights put out a nice, crisp light. The low beams add some brightness, but not a ton. The crisp, white light does increase visibility a lot though. The high beams are definitely a lot brighter and light up a lot farther out. I always make sure my high beams are off when I'm near other cars, otherwise that would definitely be a problem. I got the yellow fog lights, which did a great job cutting through the heavy fog this morning and increasing visibility. The turn signals flash normally, but the signal indicators in the dash flash faster as if the bulbs are out. I may go back and add a resistor kit to fix this in the future, but I may just leave it since the lights work like they should.

Aside from being able to see better, LEDs just give off a lot better, cleaner look. I'll definitely be upgrading all of rear lights in the future.
AggieMPH2005
I know this is an older thread, but wanted to know if anyone has used the CrystalLux LED kit? I have a 2013 Lariat with the halogens and am tired of the headlights being terrible.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Alpharex Nova LED's but the CrystalLux is about a tenth of the cost.
drewbie
AG
Rook here...

Is it ok to replace halogen headlight bulbs w/ LED bulbs? I've read a few sale ads for LED headlights that say it's not street legal to run LED bulbs in a halogen headlight. Would I need to replace the entire headlight to make them LED? I'd like to have LED lights but do not want to pay over $1000 right now... it would be for a 2015 F250 XL if that would change the answer
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.