Gas vs Diesel Truck?

5,921 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 1939
aggieforester05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
03ki11erAG said:

Sully said:

I currently drive a gas 2015 Ford F-150 and pull a 9K# travel trailer and I'm going to be getting out of the 1/2 ton and buying a 3/4 ton in the coming months.

We pull the trailer 6-10 times per year, mainly to Florida, the Texas coast and around the Hill Country and Big Bend for camping trips. The new truck would also be my daily driver and I plan to keep it for as long as I can.

My question is, is there really any reason why I should go with a diesel over a gas engine? I have no experience with diesel and don't know if it's worth it for the type of towing I do.

Thanks!

How was towing that with a half ton? I'm about to buy a travel trailer myself and tow it with a half ton. Did you have the 3.5 ecoboost?
That's a lot of travel trailer for a half ton. While well under the weight limit for a max tow ecoboost, travel trailers are a lot harder on your vehicle than an equipment trailer for example. The wind load is substantial and it would be hunting for gears on the highway and crosswinds would push your rear all over the place. I'd imagine that's why he's looking to upgrade.
Sully
AG
aggieforester05 said:

03ki11erAG said:

Sully said:

I currently drive a gas 2015 Ford F-150 and pull a 9K# travel trailer and I'm going to be getting out of the 1/2 ton and buying a 3/4 ton in the coming months.

We pull the trailer 6-10 times per year, mainly to Florida, the Texas coast and around the Hill Country and Big Bend for camping trips. The new truck would also be my daily driver and I plan to keep it for as long as I can.

My question is, is there really any reason why I should go with a diesel over a gas engine? I have no experience with diesel and don't know if it's worth it for the type of towing I do.

Thanks!

How was towing that with a half ton? I'm about to buy a travel trailer myself and tow it with a half ton. Did you have the 3.5 ecoboost?
That's a lot of travel trailer for a half ton. While well under the weight limit for a max tow ecoboost, travel trailers are a lot harder on your vehicle than an equipment trailer for example. The wind load is substantial and it would be hunting for gears on the highway and crosswinds would push your rear all over the place. I'd imagine that's why he's looking to upgrade.

Yep, aggieforester05 is right on. Replied to 03ki11erAG directly via PM, but here is my response for the thread.

"Hey man, happy to tell you about my experience towing with the 1/2 ton.

I have a 2015 3.5 F-150 4x4 shortbed with Ecoboost. It has the aluminum body (provides ~750 additional lbs of payload since it's lighter) and a 3.55 rear-end with the max tow and FX4 packages. It's been a fantastic truck and I've enjoyed the hell out of it for the past 5 years.

It's rated to tow up to 11,900 lbs with a payload of 1,820 lbs so it's more than capable. Our bumper pull trailer is 31' long total and 7,600 lbs dry and goes up to 8,800 lbs loaded, so the truck pulls it fine and I've got a Blue Ox hitch that does a good job distributing the weight of the trailer.

That being said, we do get pushed around sometimes on the road by trucks as there just isn't quite enough ass (or weight) on the F-150 to make the trailer completely disappear...so we know it's back there. The EB engine and tow package are awesome so no issues in starting OR stopping. The only thing I notice are the trucks coming up behind to pass us or when its windy and blowing the trailer around. Oh and the gas tank is the smaller 23 gal size, so we have to refuel every 220-250 miles or so...totally doable but wish I could extend it a bit. I've been leasing the truck which is why I haven't put a bigger aftermarket tank on it. I usually just bring 2-4 5 gal gas tanks to help ensure we can get to the next gas station comfortably.

I've really enjoyed it and haven't had any issues, but am just looking at getting into a 3/4 ton now since my lease is up in a few months.

Hopefully this has helped, but let me know if you have any specific questions.

Sully"
Sully
AG
About to pull the trigger on a Ferd 2017 F-250 gasser. Will post pics pretty soon.
Yesterday
AG
Do it!
cbr
AG
at 10,000 pounds, pulling less than 20k miles a year, definitely gas.

i got 8mpg in the raptor, 6 towing, trans blew up at 60k miles, $7k bill
i got 10mpg in a 6.2 gmc 1500 4x4, 8 towing, trans never blew up, would only be $2k if it did.
i get 10 mpg in my 2500 duramax, 8 towing, trans started slipping at about 60k, god knows what it would cost

all modern trucks are such wasted potential. with modern ECM technology they could be so good. But they all suck and are designed by and for urban leftist yuppies that have never used trucks (or are regulated by such *******s so they can't design one properly even if some of the engineers are real people).

the diesels are commie bull**** now with dumbass design flaws like sensors in the mirror, and DEF.
the gas models generally suck badly as well. but they suck less than the diesel.

the only thing the diesel has going for it is they accelerate a lot better because they only put deficient gas motors in trucks now.

AG
WP69 said:

If you garage yours, the 2020 GM 2500 is a big truck, larger than the 2019. I have a 2019 Duramax that fits in my garage, a 2020 would not.

I entertained buying the new 6.2 gas in the 1500, but premium costs more than diesel in my market. The 6.2 de-tunes itself on regular. I haven't found the fuel requirement for the new 6.6 gasser, but the operational costs between gas and diesel would narrow if it requires premium also.

The diesel is going to cost more but you'll make it up in resale and it's way more fun to drive.

I have a new body 2019 with the 6.2/10 speed and I can't tell a difference running 87 or 93.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.