Gas vs Diesel Truck?

5,849 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 1939
Sully
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I currently drive a gas 2015 Ford F-150 and pull a 9K# travel trailer and I'm going to be getting out of the 1/2 ton and buying a 3/4 ton in the coming months.

We pull the trailer 6-10 times per year, mainly to Florida, the Texas coast and around the Hill Country and Big Bend for camping trips. The new truck would also be my daily driver and I plan to keep it for as long as I can.

My question is, is there really any reason why I should go with a diesel over a gas engine? I have no experience with diesel and don't know if it's worth it for the type of towing I do.

Thanks!
Complete Idiot
Having pulled a travel trailer with a gas truck the biggest reason I'd want to go to a diesel is so I could have access to straight pull through gas pumps designed for 18 wheelers. Got tired of trying to shoehorn my way into pumps designed for single cars.

If you got away with a 1/2 ton gasser then a more powerful 3/4 ton gas engine, with upgraded payload, braking ability, etc, will feel like a nice upgrade. You certainly don't *need* diesel, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it. You want to barely feel the trailer back there? Go diesel.
TSUAggie
I would go with gas. The extra costs for a diesel aren't worth it unless you're towing heavy loads on a regular basis.
aggolfer
AG
Diesel
Sully
AG
What extra costs are you referring to and how much?
saltydog13
AG
The upfront cost of the Diesel engine, more expensive fuel, def fluid, fuel filters, 13-15 qt oil changes
will.mcg
AG
Usually more oil, regular fuel filter changes, higher fuel cost, heavier vehicle will wear parts quicker....I don't tow a heavy trailer every week but the few times a month I do I'm glad I have a diesel. I used to tow similar sized trailers with a 350 gas engine & it was a freaking dog compared to any diesel I've hooked onto.
AgNColorado
Find a lower miles 06 or 07 duramax or Cummins.

I've got a 2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD with the LBZ and it's easily the best truck I've ever owned. Maintenance cost are no different than a gasser and honestly the ride isn't that much different than some of the half tons I've drive.
saltydog13
AG
CanyonLakeAg said:

Maintenance cost are no different than a gasser.

Double the oil capacity and 2 fuel filters so I wouldn't say there's no difference.
Sully
AG
So what are the costs for oil change, maintenance? Fuel is a bit more, but its eventually offset in mpg, right?
TSUAggie
saltydog13 said:

The upfront cost of the Diesel engine, more expensive fuel, def fluid, fuel filters, 13-15 qt oil changes

What he said. Plus, I think some of the fuel pumps have been known to fail; and when they fail, they cause a ton of costly damage.
TSUAggie
will.mcg said:

Usually more oil, regular fuel filter changes, higher fuel cost, heavier vehicle will wear parts quicker....I don't tow a heavy trailer every week but the few times a month I do I'm glad I have a diesel. I used to tow similar sized trailers with a 350 gas engine & it was a freaking dog compared to any diesel I've hooked onto.

The new gassers today are much more efficient and powerful than the ones from the past.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

I think some of the fuel pumps have been known to fail; and when they fail, they cause a ton of costly damage.
Applies to a specific generation of GM diesels. Google it up if you care.
CenterHillAg
AG
The gas engines today are workhorses, if you haven't tried one out in the past 5 years it's worth a test drive. For what you're describing I think a gas engine would be more than capable. For my own needs, I'd choose a new gas engine truck over a 10+ year old diesel every time.
txyaloo
AG
Sully said:

So what are the costs for oil change, maintenance? Fuel is a bit more, but its eventually offset in mpg, right?
$100+ if you're paying a shop to do an oil change

Fuel filters are cheap, but if you don't have the mechanical ability to replace them every 5-10k miles, you'll have to take it to the dealer.

DEF is required every 5-6k miles. Easy to add but another maintenance item to deal with

Unless you're towing all the time, there is no offset in MPG. I saw regular unleaded for $1.90 last week while diesel was $2.50. I get ~16mpg in my 6.0 unloaded and ~11mpg towing. The newer diesels do a bit better.

That said, if you want a diesel, buy a diesel. You'll appreciate it while towing.
MikesFamousJava
AG
I'd absolutely go diesel, with that many trips, and with hills...yeah, no question. I used to own a travel trailer...a little lighter than yours. Towed it with a Suburban (gasser), and it was all she could handle. Any uphill grades were a pain, and cruise control...forget about it. Any incline and the ****** would downshift like crazy and would be screaming. I borrowed my boss's diesel Chevy 2500 and it was amazing the difference. I was passing people while going up steep grades, and I could set the cruise control and chill. I know my old Suburban doesn't compare to today's gassers, but I'd absolutely get a diesel if I were in your shoes.
Bigballin
AG
16mpg in a 6.0?

I have a 6.0 and after 70,000 miles, my average 12.5 mpg.
Silvy
AG
Diesel big gay
HollywoodBQ
AG
Sully said:

What extra costs are you referring to and how much?
I've been looking into getting a Diesel F350 for the construction I'm going to be doing on my rural acreage property.

When you go in the Build & Price part of the Ford web site, the Diesel engine is a $10,000 option.

I've decided I'm not going to buy a truck at this time since it's going to be about 3 years before I get serious about construction. But looking into it, that's the biggest upfront cost.
txyaloo
AG
Bigballin said:

16mpg in a 6.0?

You talking about talking about a 6.0 gas?

I just looked and my 6.0 PSD is sitting at 17.2mpg on the lie meter with mostly city driving since the last reset. Hand calculated is generally within .5mpg to the lie meter.
Codes12
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

I think some of the fuel pumps have been known to fail; and when they fail, they cause a ton of costly damage.
Applies to a specific generation of GM diesels. Google it up if you care.

This happen to my uncle, GM picked up the $18,000 tab as the truck was still under warranty. They also gave him an extra 50,000 miles of warranty on the motor. Similar thing happen to a neighbor's 2016 powerstroke and Ford billed him for the entire amount.

My family has run quite a few 3/4 ton chevys. Mileage isn't that great and we've had a lot of transmission crap out at 150K. The Transmission behind a diesel is hands down better than a gasser so that's a plus for the diesel.

I'm personally waiting to see how the new Chevy 6.6 gas or Ford 7.3 gas that were just released preform before I deciding what i'm going to do.
Bigballin
AG
Yes. I assumed everyone would be referring to late model engines.
WP69
AG
If you garage yours, the 2020 GM 2500 is a big truck, larger than the 2019. I have a 2019 Duramax that fits in my garage, a 2020 would not.

I entertained buying the new 6.2 gas in the 1500, but premium costs more than diesel in my market. The 6.2 de-tunes itself on regular. I haven't found the fuel requirement for the new 6.6 gasser, but the operational costs between gas and diesel would narrow if it requires premium also.
txyaloo
AG
Bigballin said:

You consider a GM 6.0 a "late model" engine? The LY6 hasn't been available in a GM HD truck since 2014 and that engine was significantly similar to the LQ4 that came out in 99.
moore42
AG
txyaloo said:

Bigballin said:

You consider a GM 6.0 a "late model" engine? The LY6 hasn't been available in a GM HD truck since 2014 and that engine was significantly similar to the LQ4 that came out in 99.
The l96 thats been used since 2014 is the same thing as an LY6, but with flex fuel. Essentially the same power rating, same compression, same heads.
Bigballin
AG
Yeah, the 6.0L gas was available through 2019. I drive a 2016. The 6.0 PSD was over a decade ago.
will.mcg
AG
Buy that new Ford 7.3 gas engine & let us know how you like it.
JSKolache
AG
If you tow every day/week consider diesel. Once every other month = gas.
Chewy
AG
If costs are all you care about then go with gas.

If convenience and comfort are important while spending money go with a diesel all day long.

I have an '08 Duramax I pull a 6,500 lb tongue travel trailer 6-10 times a year. I could easily do it with a gasser but that 3/4 diesel is smooth as silk pulling down the road. Worth every extra penny I spent. The more modern 3/4 ton diesels are even more impressive from an ability standpoint.

If you pull anything of substance once you go with a diesel it's hard to go back to a gasser.
The Wonderer
AG
txyaloo said:

Sully said:

Fuel filters are cheap, but if you don't have the mechanical ability to replace them every 5-10k miles, you'll have to take it to the dealer.

DEF is required every 5-6k miles. Easy to add but another maintenance item to deal with

Unless you're towing all the time, there is no offset in MPG. I saw regular unleaded for $1.90 last week while diesel was $2.50. I get ~16mpg in my 6.0 unloaded and ~11mpg towing. The newer diesels do a bit better.

That said, if you want a diesel, buy a diesel. You'll appreciate it while towing.

My oil change at Joe Myers for my '19 diesel was ~$88 and I'm running about 9.5k miles between DEF fills. I average 19+ mpgs on the highway.
BrazosDog02
AG
Bigballin said:

16mpg in a 6.0?

My 6.0 gets about 12 to 13. I have a few where I topped 15 when it was new. I've been around 7 of these motors with various degrees of care and mods and none get more than about 13-14. That said there are some, I'm sure, that may get that but it's definitely not the norm at all.

Either way, I'd take a bulleit proofed 6.0 over just about any other diesel with the exception of a 24v Cummins but then you have to get a dodge and the rest of that truck is a piece of **** so....can't have it all...well, you can, but not easily.
The Wonderer
AG
The Wonderer said:

txyaloo said:

Sully said:

My oil change at Joe Myers for my '19 diesel was ~$88 and I'm running about 9.5k miles between DEF fills. I average 19+ mpgs on the highway.
Also, fuel filter is at15k, air filter is at 45k on the new 6.7s

saltydog13
AG
45k miles for an air filter change? I don't care what the recommendation is, that's getting changed every 10k miles along with fuel filters
WP69
AG
saltydog13 said:

45k miles for an air filter change? I don't care what the recommendation is, that's getting changed every 10k miles along with fuel filters
I change both around 10K. I don't believe nor understand the 45K on an air filter. I have a 6.6L Duramax with roughly the same size airbox and filter as my son's 5.3L gasser. The operating principals of the gas vs diesel would dictate the diesel drawing much more air, displacement notwithstanding.
Yesterday
AG
Sully said:

I currently drive a gas 2015 Ford F-150 and pull a 9K# travel trailer and I'm going to be getting out of the 1/2 ton and buying a 3/4 ton in the coming months.

We pull the trailer 6-10 times per year, mainly to Florida, the Texas coast and around the Hill Country and Big Bend for camping trips. The new truck would also be my daily driver and I plan to keep it for as long as I can.

My question is, is there really any reason why I should go with a diesel over a gas engine? I have no experience with diesel and don't know if it's worth it for the type of towing I do.

Thanks!

How was towing that with a half ton? I'm about to buy a travel trailer myself and tow it with a half ton. Did you have the 3.5 ecoboost?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.