Ural Motorcycles

2,834 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Tim Weaver
clobby
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
These things look pretty badass. Anyone have any experience with them?
drumboy
AG
I love sidecar rigs but never ridden one so I can't offer much. I do remember they were vastly underpowered until an engine refresh around 2008 or so and the pricing reflected that.
Duncan Idaho
Buddy of mine has one. He and the girlfriend ride around highland park in it. Of course like all motorcycles they use it a lot less than they thought they would
JamesPShelley
Those things are insane! At the 5:01 mark, LOL!
PMD03
AG
One of the most unreliable makes of motorcycles sold today. You would be better off finding a good tug and then choosing a custom sidecar.
maverick2076
Basically a Russian knockoff of a 70 year old BMW design. Quirky, unreliable and slow. They top out around 55 or so.
Tim Weaver
PMD03 said:

One of the most unreliable makes of motorcycles sold today. You would be better off finding a good tug and then choosing a custom sidecar.
Yes, but also probably the easiest motorcycle to fix and maintain on the road today.

Buy one if your favorite book is Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, and you've ever spooned on your own tires.

Ural's are made from recycled T38 tanks. They are indestructable. But they are not really "reliable". They also cost a lot. Especially the 2wd ones.

They don't do highway speeds. They are a 40-50 mph backroad cruiser.

I have wanted one for years, but just can't justify the money for a toy I can't really use for major trips since I already have a V-Strom. It's an expensive toy to explore your local area. Would be fantastic if you live in Big Bend or Colorado.
Scud Runner
PMD03 said:

You would be better off finding a good tug and then choosing a custom sidecar.

I kinda like his idea
Tim Weaver
Scud Runner said:

PMD03 said:

I kinda like his idea
A KLR650 with a Ural sidecar makes a good rig. Ural and Dneiper and some others produce these sidecars, but they are a little tough to find.

If you do go this route, get a real sidecar shop to build it. Otherwise it will be a pig. Sidecars are a whole other world as far as vehicle dynamics go. They need careful alignment and a special front fork to be any good.
drumboy
AG
Tim Weaver said:

Scud Runner said:

PMD03 said:

I kinda like his idea
A KLR650 with a Ural sidecar makes a good rig. Ural and Dneiper and some others produce these sidecars, but they are a little tough to find.

If you do go this route, get a real sidecar shop to build it. Otherwise it will be a pig. Sidecars are a whole other world as far as vehicle dynamics go. They need careful alignment and a special front fork to be any good.

KLRs have undersized forks as it is.

Get a 1200GS for a rig.
Tim Weaver
drumboy said:

Tim Weaver said:

Scud Runner said:

PMD03 said:

I kinda like his idea

KLRs have undersized forks as it is.

Get a 1200GS for a rig.
I guess.

You could also just set fire to your 401k.
maverick2076
You could pick up a used Super Tenere for a third of the price of a GS and have a bike that stays on the road instead of in the shop.
drumboy
AG
Lol I knew this would get a reaction. My 1200GSA has been pain free for 4 years but I've only put 200 miles on it. I like Africa Twins and ride to AK on a KLR with a buddy on a Super Tenere and I was jealous of him the whole time.

All those bikes are very dependable unlike KTMs.
maverick2076
200 miles? I've had my '15 Super Tenere for almost 18 months and have put 16000 miles on it. It's sitting at 34k trouble free miles.
clobby
AG
I would take all of the above.
drumboy
AG
maverick2076 said:

200 miles? I've had my '15 Super Tenere for almost 18 months and have put 16000 miles on it. It's sitting at 34k trouble free miles.

Yep, I used to ride around 6K miles a year on my KLRs but turned into a BMW rider when I got my dream bike. It's an 07 with 12k miles so I doubt the value is dropping much. Had a kid and switched jobs around the time I got it making it hard to commute on.

clobby
AG
Nice bike! I have dreamed of getting an adventure bike for years. Hopefully one day.
drumboy
AG
clobby said:

Nice bike! I have dreamed of getting an adventure bike for years. Hopefully one day.

Start with a KLR. They're cheap, pretty bullet proof and easy to work on. I want another GSPD but don't need two bikes I don't ride.
Tim Weaver
I'll just leave this here....

maverick2076
Ryan does great videos and reviews. His Super Tenere video really got me interested in the bike.
drumboy
AG
This older low miles Ural was posted today on TwT.

https://www.twtex.com/forums/threads/2006-ural-750.122935/
chimpanzee
I read once that the tooling used by Ural to build motorcycles was taken by the Soviet army from German occupied parts of Europe in WWII and has been used ever since.

May be a joke, but everything I've read about the bikes makes it sound plausible.

drumboy
AG
I've heard that as well. The wiki says they reverse engineered a few BMW R71s just before WWII.
TxTarpon
Sweet ride!
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
Tim Weaver
drumboy said:

I've heard that as well. The wiki says they reverse engineered a few BMW R71s just before WWII.
Whatever the real story is, they are definitely copies of the BMW Boxer but with Soviet Quality Control! lol
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.