3.5 Boost Clankety Clank on Startup Round 2

32,413 Views | 185 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cochrum
drummer0415
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Truck started making this exact noise at 50k miles. Got it fixed under warranty, but by the time it got fixed at 55k miles, it was MUCH louder. Sounded like an old diesel for 2-3 seconds then went away. Anyways, they replaced some timing chain tensioners and cam phasers and some other bs and the noise went away. Now at 65k miles, and I just took this video this morning. Gonna go back to dealer and show them and see what they say. Will keep y'all updated.

HumbleAg04
AG
My 2019 with 10k miles on it is at the dealer getting this fixed now.

Apathy about actually engineering a serious fix to problems like this shown by manufacturers is frustrating.
MouthBQ98
AG
Timing chain tensioner. Ford had problems with their design on their 4.0 v6 back around 2000 or so, makes a diesel sound.
Silvy
AG
LS swap
EMY92
AG
Did the warranty work come with a 12,000 mi. warranty?
fooz
HumbleAg04 said:

My 2019 with 10k miles on it is at the dealer getting this fixed now.

Apathy about actually engineering a serious fix to problems like this shown by manufacturers is frustrating.
Did the same thing on my 19 at ~9k miles. Had the rattle and clunk. Now I'm at ~15k miles and the clunk on start is back, but not rattle.

I'm taking it in next week for a sunroof rattle TSB and going to have them looking into the clunk sound.
aggieforester05
AG
Swap the longblock for a gen 2 coyote and keep the turbos.

I had the same problem on my wife's ecoboost flex. After spending five weeks under warranty at the dealer while ford gave me **** because the Flex didn't have a TSB (but the same motor in the F150 did), I traded it in.
14TheRoad
AG
At least it didn't light itself on fire!
HumbleAg04
AG
aggieforester05 said:

I had the same problem on my wife's ecoboost flex. After spending five weeks under warranty at the dealer while ford gave me **** because the Flex didn't have a TSB (but the same motor in the F150 did), I traded it in.

It is frustrating. Hoping this fixes my issue long term. If it happens again like the OP I'll likely start planning on moving into something else. The 7.3L gasser is intriguing.
Corps_Ag12
AG
So you're having issues with a Ford product and are going to buy another Ford product hoping that one is better?

Interesting.....
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Sell the POS Ecoboost fast. The design is trash. I finally dumped my 2013 and now into a used Tundra. No more Fords for me.
HumbleAg04
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

So you're having issues with a Ford product and are going to buy another Ford product hoping that one is better?

Interesting.....

Well considering I just got out of a Chevy that would have required an aftermarket TC to fix the POS 8 speed transmission it came with after exhausting all the TSB's and weeks at the dealer under warranty, I'm kind of running out of options.

Will have to consider the Tundra just wish they'd update the interior.
Corps_Ag12
AG
HumbleAg04 said:

Corps_Ag12 said:

Interesting.....

Well considering I just got out of a Chevy that would have required an aftermarket TC to fix the POS 8 speed transmission it came with after exhausting all the TSB's and weeks at the dealer under warranty, I'm kind of running out of options.

Yea i switched to a 3/4 ton Chevy before that design was released. Unintentionally dodged a bullet there. I'd like to get a Tundra but i just can't get over the fact that they won't make a crew cab with a 6.5' bed.
Drip99
AG
HumbleAg04 said:

Corps_Ag12 said:

Interesting.....

I have a tundra now after having issue after issue with my F150. Its an amazing feeling knowing my truck is in my driveway every morning and not at the dealer. Yes you trade off bells, whistles and pretty interiors for a no frills truck with a big V8 that just works. You could always try a RAM for the pretty interior and by the time it catches fire Toyo will have a new tundra out.
MouthBQ98
AG
Weird. My boost is over 130K and has never been in the shop. I wonder how that is possible?
fooz
MouthBQ98 said:

Weird. My boost is over 130K and has never been in the shop. I wonder how that is possible?
I didn't have any major issues with my 2011 EB and traded it in at ~120k miles. There's so many F-150's sold, we only hear about the ones with issues.
AgEng06
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

The same reason I had a '08 Sierra with AFM/DOD and never had any issues over 140k+ miles, but loads of other have...
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

You were lucky and I was unlucky. My poor luck cost me 16k getting out of the POS and into a new used truck. Alternatively I could have replaced the engine for 8k. I won't forgive Ford for that.

The timing chain stretched, there are TSBs on it as well engine sludging. I googled after I leaned my fate and was really disappointed to realize how many people had similar stories.

When I was leaving the Ford Service dept with my new used tundra (two weeks ago) , the guy told me he would never buy an ecoboost, said he's been saying it for years.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
JesusQuintana said:

HumbleAg04 said:

Corps_Ag12 said:

Interesting.....

I have a tundra now after having issue after issue with my F150. Its an amazing feeling knowing my truck is in my driveway every morning and not at the dealer. Yes you trade off bells, whistles and pretty interiors for a no frills truck with a big V8 that just works. You could always try a RAM for the pretty interior and by the time it catches fire Toyo will have a new tundra out.

100% agree with this.
TMfrisco
AG
OlSarge92 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

You were lucky and I was unlucky. My poor luck cost me 16k getting out of the POS and into a new used truck. Alternatively I could have replaced the engine for 8k. I won't forgive Ford for that.

The timing chain stretched, there are TSBs on it as well engine sludging. I googled after I leaned my fate and was really disappointed to realize how many people had similar stories.

When I was leaving the Ford Service dept with my new used tundra (two weeks ago) , the guy told me he would never buy an ecoboost, said he's been saying it for years.
I had a '13 Eccoboost that I just sold with 190K on it and it never even had a "Check Engine" light come on. Consequently, I couldn't wait to buy a new one.
Canyon99
Sold an '11 Eco Boost with 146,000 on it earlier this fall. No issues other than replacing water pump and O2 sensors.
drummer0415
AG
Went to the stealership. Service advisor said if I drop it off between now and the end of the year it's just gonna sit and not get worked on. So I have an appointment to drop it off for "diagnosis" on January 2nd. But I showed him the vid and he agrees it was the exact same issue again.

Also, I did have a 12,000 miles warranty on the repair, but im already passed that. I have like 12,500 since the repair. The good news is I purchased a good extended warranty to 100k miles when I bought the truck, and the extended warranty is going to cover the repair with no cost to me.
drummer0415
AG
Hopefully I don't have to make a thread about round 3, but I'm seriously considering trading this truck in at 99k miles. I'll either start over with another f150 and new warranty, or possibly go to an F250.
Canyon99
I'd think a trade in is in order and don't blame you one bit. I never had any major issues with the eco boost but I have my doubts that the platform is a good option for someone looking for a long term vehicle.
chevy con queso
AG
HumbleAg04 said:

aggieforester05 said:

It is frustrating. Hoping this fixes my issue long term. If it happens again like the OP I'll likely start planning on moving into something else. The 7.3L gasser is intriguing.

Ford had no trouble building good pushrod V8s. Or hell, even SOHC and DOHC V8s.

I personally wouldn't touch an EcoBoost when the 5.0 exists. The consistency in fuel mileage alone is a no brainer.

Consequently, that 7.3 is likely the only truck I'd consider buying new. So many can't get past the badge on the hood to see that simplicity is always going to win in reliability and operating cost.

No direct injection, no OHC, no cylinder cut off. Just plain old pushrods and forged internals with some cubic inches to match. It's likely going to be the safest bet for new HD pickup engines.

HumbleAg04
AG
The 5.0 isn't issue free either. Guess I understand why they were so proud of the pricing on the 3.0L diesel F150s.

Guess I can give the 7.3 a few years to work out any kinks and go after it.
saltydog13
AG
drummer0415 said:

I'll either start over with another f150.

Isn't that the definition of insanity?
HumbleAg04
AG
So mine's back with 4 new cam phasers and vac pump which was broken during disassembly. Working fine so far.

Drummer did they replace all the VCT phasers on your first repair?
fooz
HumbleAg04 said:

Drummer did they replace all the VCT phasers on your first repair?
They replaced all units on mine.
Silvy
AG
Jaydoug
AG
drummer0415 said:

Hopefully I don't have to make a thread about round 3, but I'm seriously considering trading this truck in at 99k miles. I'll either start over with another f150 and new warranty, or possibly go to an F250.

My 2018 F150 Ecoboost is doing that right now with 35,000 miles on it.

Tell me what I need to tell Ford when I bring it to them. Other than to bend over and insert it in a dark place.
HumbleAg04
AG
Jaydoug said:

drummer0415 said:

Tell me what I need to tell Ford when I bring it to them. Other than to bend over and insert it in a dark place.

Oh they'll know. Enjoy the 3-6 week wait for parts also. Noise is caused by bad cam phasers.
fooz
HumbleAg04 said:

Jaydoug said:

drummer0415 said:

Oh they'll know. Enjoy the 3-6 week wait for parts also. Noise is caused by bad cam phasers.
Took a week to get parts in at my dealer in McKinney.
drummer0415
AG
Jaydoug said:

drummer0415 said:

Your repair will be covered under the 60k mile original manufacturers powertrain warranty.

My first fix was covered under the same. My second repair happening at ~67k miles and is being covered under the extended warranty I bought at time of vehicle purchase.
AgsWin2011
AG
Did some research on this clunky start up noise and it seems to be very common across the newer ecoboost vehicles that have the auto start/stop "technology".

Just bought a brand new 2019 Expedition for my wife and noticed a slight clunky noise when it first starts up. I permanently disabled the auto start/stop and it doesn't make this sound at all anymore. It takes all of 2 seconds to unplug the harness to do the trick. Just note that before you tow anything to plug it back it because it also controls your trailer's brake lights and blinkers.

Instructions in the YouTube video below.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.