1968 Classic Bronco Build Thread

3,913 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by will.mcg
Cancelled
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At the urging of others on a separate thread, I will do what I can to make this a build thread. I've been working on this 68 Ford Bronco since around May of 2019.

This is my first ever attempt at restoring a vehicle, so go easy. The most work I've ever done on a car is replacing a brake sensor and installing some lights. So here we go.

My first step was finding what I considered the right vehicle for a restore. I picked this one up outside of Waco. It cranked and drove alright and we trailered it home. It had a gas tank in the bed and the filth in the bed was beyond belief. Seats were terrible - I think the back seat was out of an old school bus. The roll bar was a piece of crap fabricated at the ranch it had been on. This thing was filthy. I kid you not, I found some little holes in the bottom of the frame and the amount of dirt, acorns, sticks and other crap that came out would amaze you. I swear that I pulled out three full wife beater tshirts. I think rats went in the front of the frame and built some nests deep in there.

My next step was to remove surface rust and get the frame in order. Hours of wire brush and phosphoric acid and then covered with Por-15. Any of these photos that show "black" are after photos as it had a lot of surface rust prior.

Soon, I realized the floor, the rockers, the tailgate, the hood were all going to need replacing - they were rusted to hell and were covered by some kind of resin or epoxy. It was ****ed. I found myself starting a frame-off restore without actually taking off the frame. I've got the floor completely removed and ready to replace - just measuring and remeasuring, then clamping, then tech screwing and finally welding because doors need to fit perfectly. To be honest, I'm scared to move on and I'm doing other little things.

These are the cross channels that hold the floor. They were also screwed and will be replaced.

I fixed up the transfer case, replaced some bushings and POR-15'd the **** out of it.

Having this thing level when installing body mounts, the floors and the rockers, etc is so important. So I've got the frame leveled on one set of jacks and the tub leveled on some 2X4s. I've also braced the crap out of it to stop it from tacoing. You can see right here that the chassis/frame is level, but the tub isn't.

here is the leveled tub from the driver's rear:

I did a little work to the passenger door post - welded in some metal and patched with bondo and weldthrough primer. I still need to do the driver's side.

The floors will be covered initially in weldthrough primer, sealed and then finished in Rhino Liner or Lizard Skin (or both). Here is a pic with the first test of the inner and outer rockers and door posts c-clamped. Still need a lot of work on this before welding.

Once the floor is done, I will pull the motor and have the front section and engine bay media blasted. Rhinoliner or lizard skin the interior of the engine bay (or maybe paint - not sure). Fix up the engine, paint the engine, etc.

Then I will be putting front disc brakes and new gas tank, new hood, new windshield, new dash, new seats and new tailgate. Wire harness will be installed. Finally paint job and any unfinished body work will be handled by someone who knows what the hell they are doing.
Cancelled
AG
I'm relying 99% on forums, facebook and youtube.
Cancelled
AG
Neglected to mention new wheels, heater, possible AC (if I get a top), new grill, new suspension.
Centerpole90
AG
Outstanding.
aTm2004
AG
texasaggie_11
AG
Love old broncos! Good work!
falcon09
AG
Looks awesome! Looks like you got a pretty solid base to start from, especially for a 50 year old vehicle. Probably has less rust than my '87 I got further up north.

Finish body work and paint by a pro is a great idea. I've learned to hate body work in a very short amount of time.
Cancelled
AG
Playing with cross channels...need to clamp, then tech screw and finally (when I get the courage) weld.

saltydog13
AG
Looking forward to seeing it through and completed.
chevy con queso
AG
Looking pretty good so far. Check out Jody Collier's weldingtipsandtricks.com youtube channel and website. Doesn't matter if you have an HF machine or red and blue, the guy has some great arc shots and information.

I personally would avoid putting bedliner on anything. If you miss something, it's gonna trap moisture and bubble. I'd do it to a new vehicle with perfectly clean floors, but be very hesitant to do it to something older that didn't get sandblasted or acid dipped. Really depends on your level of GAF and how long you plan on keeping it (Edit: misread you the first time, you said media blasting. Be damn sure though and don't put it on anything that didn't get blasted. Getting that stuff off to weld later is a pain, and don't get it too close to exhaust)

As the owner of 3 early 80s rides with various amounts of rust and repairs over the years (plus a former VW type 1 owner) I feel your pain. It takes a lot of patience to do this much work.
SnowboardAg
AG
I respect you for simply tackling this size of project. I, like you, have done basic maintenance / repairs and the body work alone scares me to take on something like this. Just curious if you thought about sending off the body work / paint and tackling mechanical? The welding seems more like an art that I would screw up.
chevy con queso
AG
Oh, and is this gonna be a wheeler or basically just a fun street vehicle/once in a blue moon mild wheeler type of build? Also curious about drivetrain plans.
Cancelled
AG
I want it able to drive long distance but 99% would be in town. I'm going to keep it stock engine. Maybe a 5.0 in the future.
Cancelled
AG
SnowboardAg said:

I respect you for simply tackling this size of project. I, like you, have done basic maintenance / repairs and the body work alone scares me to take on something like this. Just curious if you thought about sending off the body work / paint and tackling mechanical? The welding seems more like an art that I would screw up.

I'm not doing serious bodywork other then the floors and door areas. I'm definitely not painting
saltydog13
AG
queso1 said:

I want it able to drive long distance but 99% would be in town. I'm going to keep it stock engine. Maybe a 5.0 in the future.

Doing a coyote 5.0 swap into our family '68 is a dream of mine
Maverick06
AG
Following. I just picked up a '74 bronco that needs some of the same work. I do much more intrusive mechanic work on my vehicles than what you've listed and I'm not sure I'm even ready to tackle what you've accomplished. Good on you!
Cancelled
AG
Following up. I was messing around with the doors and opening for awhile, but decided I needed to establish the floor before worrying about those. I've tech-screwed the flooring in and will eventually weld. It feels good to be doing something other than cutting and ripping out.

BurnetAggie99
Looking good. What size motor you going to drop in. Coworker has a 68 Bronco and he dropped in a 351w block turned into a 408 stroker pushing about 530 HP or so.
91AggieLawyer
AG
The 289 would be cool if you could find one. Not necessarily for power but nostalgia. Otherwise, I'd go 460 if it would fit. That was a killer engine.
Cancelled
AG
I'm so ignorant on cars in general. I'm learning everything as I go. Right now it has a straight 6. I want to say 107 hp. That's about all I know. I've seen people put 5.0 Coyotes in them. I've also heard that explorer V8 will work good. Right now, I like it being 3 speed and a smaller engine. If bigger engines are at the expense of the novelty of the 3 speed , I'll probably stay the same.

BurnetAggie99
You can keep the three speed with a 351 Windsor block with the various stroker kits like 408 my coworker put in his 68 Bronco
Burdizzo
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

The 289 would be cool if you could find one. Not necessarily for power but nostalgia. Otherwise, I'd go 460 if it would fit. That was a killer engine.

My brother had one of these vintage Broncos years ago (35 years ago). I remember reading tons of articles about engine swaps people had done. IIRC, the Ford big block is way too big for the engine compartment. Pretty sure a Windsor will fit, but a Cleveland will not. FE block is too big too. Seems like there is not enough room between the fenders for the bigger motors. I think there may have been a clearance issue with the front diff.

Of course, this was long before the Coyote came around. I have not heard about anyone swapping one in.
Aggie1944s Kid
AG
Would love taking to you about this project. We are thinking of starting the exact same thing sometime this year. You can catch me at user name hotmail.
Get ready bal. You're gonna in for a problem.
Cancelled
AG
Aggie1944s Kid said:

Would love taking to you about this project. We are thinking of starting the exact same thing sometime this year. You can catch me at user name hotmail.
Was this directed to me? If so, I'd be happy to talk - not sure how much I know.
Aggie1944s Kid
AG
Yes indeed. Should have been clearer on my request. Trust me....you know more than we do!
drmwvr
AG
Burdizzo said:

Of course, this was long before the Coyote came around. I have not heard about anyone swapping one in.

https://www.icon4x4.com/specifications/index/br

COSCAG00
AG
Awesome project! I have a 1967 Bronco with a 4BT in it and fuil width axles from a 79 Bronco. Let me know if you have any questions I have been into Broncos for about 24 years now. There is a wealth of knowledge in Texas, I would also suggest joining the Lone Star Early Bronco Club and get on their email list. The email list is a great place to ask questions and get great answers as well as a good tool to find parts locally.
cmiller00
Cancelled
AG
Email sent
Aggie1944s Kid
AG
Got it. Thank you!
Watchful Ag
AG
Love older Broncos! My dad rebuilt this '67 when I was younger. Night after night I would watch him work on it, allowing me and my brother to help from time to time.

Best of luck and know that it'll be worth it when it's all said and done

will.mcg
AG
Have you made any progress on your project?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.