Opinions on Kia Telluride vs VW Atlas

12,131 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by mel99
DiskoTroop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My wife totaled my truck last week. We've been looking to upgrade to a more family friendly vehicle anyhow so these two are our finalists.

Any specific thoughts or issues we should be concerned about RE their history on the road, their construction or their warranty's?

We like them both from practical standpoints. The Kia drives better but the VW feels more ... solid? Not sure how I'd phrase it.

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated.
schmendeler
AG
I like the looks of the Kia better. It seems to be getting really good reviews as well. That would be by choice.

But you should really get a minivan.
ktownag08
AG
Don't own either, but have seen top trims on both and Telluride interior blows Atlas away.

Just one man's opinion...
DiskoTroop
ktownag08 said:

Don't own either, but have seen top trims on both and Telluride interior blows Atlas away.

Just one man's opinion...

I agree.
DiskoTroop
schmendeler said:

I like the looks of the Kia better. It seems to be getting really good reviews as well. That would be by choice.

Ok I'll bite. Why a minivan?
schmendeler
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

schmendeler said:

Better packaging for carrying people and their stuff.
joseph97pio
AG
We have owned a mini van since 2011. Kiddos are getting a little older now so we too are looking at the Tell/Atlas. We are leaning towards VW because my wife simply felt more comfortable driving the VW. Regarding the interior, we love the interior of the Atlas of the SEL PREM with the Golden Oak leather. Looks sharp.
bam02
AG
I have been surprised to find tat I like the Hyundai Palisade better than the Kia in person.
DiskoTroop
bam02 said:

I have been surprised to find tat I like the Hyundai Palisade better than the Kia in person.

For whatever reason I can't get the wife to consider that one. Haven't looked in person yet.
DiskoTroop
schmendeler said:

phideaux_2003 said:

schmendeler said:

Better packaging for carrying people and their stuff.

Ok fair enough. I was waiting for a "carry's more coneys" joke.
Furlock Bones
AG
the Atlas is one of the worst looking vehicles ever. it would be hard for me to describe why it is so bad as i'm not a writer.

but, basically, they took concepts from every current CUV trend and mashed them together. brutal.

'03ag
I think the Kia is the best in the segment all things considered. And I'm generally a fan of all things VAG.

BlueSmoke
Wife's been going back and forth between the Palisade and Telluride.

Palisade has a ton of neat bells/whistles. Tech is nice. Just so hard to find a white Limited with the black Napa leather interior. So she ordered a Telluride last weekend. Went down and got things moving. White with the black wheels and brown leather interior and AWD. From friends that drive them, they all seem to really love them. Being able to place the order was the deciding factor. Now we just wait for it in a few months.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Could not disagree with this take more...I think the Atlas is one of the best looking out there. That hard body line is fantastic
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

We like them both from practical standpoints. The Kia drives better but the VW feels more ... solid? Not sure how I'd phrase it.

That is because a VW is German designed vs Korean designed...

We are looking a new 3rd rows as well. We were looking at the Traverse, CX9, Atlas, Telluride and Palisade: CX9 but priced a little more, We have a Sorrento currently and for that reason the Kia got cut, The Palisade has begun to be ruled out because it is brand new and being sold above MSRP which is ridiculous in my opinion

So we are mainly now considering the Atlas, I love the look, ive heard great reviews from some people I know who own one and it can be had more affordable from what I have found.
longeryak
bam02 said:

I did too.

With my height the rearview mirror created a huge blindspot for me in both. I had the same issue with Honda's Pilot, Ridgeline, and Passport. We bought the Subaru Ascent as I fit and no rearview mirror blindspot.

Design engineers have got to work on where they place all the new forward collision prevention camera sensors.

Didn't look at VW as we'll never buy one due their emissions scandal.
pdawg10384
AG
I would agree that you are down to the 2 best options. A year ago I would have chosen the Atlas R-line. That's a great looking SUV. Solid vehicle. My mom bought one and loves it. Can't believe how roomy it is.

With that said, I'd go with the Telluride now. Exterior looks as good as the Atlas, but the interior blows the Atlas out of the water. I haven't driven one but seen several on the road and I'm a fan. Can't go wrong with either.

(The 6 year/72k warranty VW was offering was insane, but I think I read they are going back to industry standard on the warranty)
JSKolache
AG
VW reliability is crap. Dont buy unless you have the budget.
schmendeler
AG
JSKolache said:

https://www.thedrive.com/reviews/29274/vw-warranty
longeryak
schmendeler said:

JSKolache said:

Evidence it is crap and they have to offer basically double the industry standard to sell them?
Flaith
AG
cpsencik04 said:

phideaux_2003 said:

That is because a VW is German designed vs Korean designed...
Imma let you finish, but...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Schreyer

Kia's President and Chief Design Officer until recently when he shifted to a consultancy design position

He is German and came from VAG. Responsible for designing the 1st gen Audi TT and the New Beetle
schmendeler
AG
longeryak said:

schmendeler said:

JSKolache said:

Evidence it is crap and they have to offer basically double the industry standard to sell them?
not much longer than kia or Hyundai. are they crap, too?

more like evidence that you don't have to "have the budget"
Furlock Bones
AG
cpsencik04 said:

Could not disagree with this take more...I think the Atlas is one of the best looking out there. That hard body line is fantastic
hatchback
AG
cpsencik04 said:

I agree. It's not a generic blob like everything else on the road. The sharp creases in the body work are great.

Also, the front of the Palisade looks like a pig snout. Lexus' spindle grilles are terrible, but this gaping maw is okay with TexAgs? I don't understand.

Everyone has followed the Nissan Juke's front end design of putting the main headlights low and then placing this eyebrow running light up high and it looks stupid. Who thought it was a good idea to copy the Nissan Juke?

Furlock Bones
AG
the atlas is just a fatter mid-teens Jeep Compass.
DiskoTroop
pdawg10384 said:

(The 6 year/72k warranty VW was offering was insane, but I think I read they are going back to industry standard on the warranty)

This is correct. 2019's still have the 6y/72k but 2020's will be 3y/36k bumper to bumper.
RingOfive
AG
hatchback said:

Everyone has followed the Nissan Juke's front end design of putting the main headlights low and then placing this eyebrow running light up high and it looks stupid. Who thought it was a good idea to copy the Nissan Juke?
Didn't Jeep do this on the Grand Cherokee before the Juke?
hatchback
AG
Nissan Juke was introduced in 2010. The fifth generation Cherokee made a similar styling move with the 2014 model introduced in 2013.
maldivesag
AG
I purchased a Telluride SX at the beginning of Nov and LOVE it. I looked at several SUVs and chose this one due to the masculinity of the look. All other SUVs Highlander, Pilot etc are what all the soccer moms drive and I wanted to avoid that. We rented a Atlas for traveling from Atlanta to Athens and I was Unimpressed with the interior and styling. It just seemed very basic and Boxy.

If I were considering for my wife I would probably have gone with the Hyundai Palisade as this has a more refined less sporty look.
RingOfive
AG
SteveA
AG
I love my VW, but I have used it's warranty a lot. Reliability and a good warranty are not the same thing. I did have a base model Atlas for 3 weeks, and it was a decent ride. I like my wife's Pilot Elite much more, however.
DiskoTroop
I have a really big problem with paying a "market adjustment." I've found a dealer that has a pretty low (comparably) market adjustment, one I would consider paying if the vehicle were exactly what I wanted but given the current market, I don't think I can get everything I want in a Telluride reasonably readily.

I may have to go back to the drawing board.
'03ag
I agree. There are dealers out there that aren't marking them up. But they are hard to come by for sure. Have to be flexible and ready to act.

It's getting better. I suspect they'll have a decent supply in another month or two.
maldivesag
AG
Where do live. I know Huffines and Moritz here in Dallas are not marking them up. I was lucky and called around one Monday and they just unloaded one from the truck so i put down a $500 deposit and drove out and got that day
SteveA
AG
They are marking Tellurides up? Pass or wait 3 months.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.