CVT 2015 Rogue

1,523 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by longeryak
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Some jerk in a networking meeting my wife attends talked about the Nissan Altima CVT settlement and postulated it will spread to similar vehicles like the Rogue. Of course the Dude owns a transmission shop. The wife drives a 2015 Rogue with about 70000 on it. We have never felt any type of issue with the cvt that they describe on different forums, like rubber band, whining or diminished power. The thing drives like new. Dudes scare tactic worked on the wife. She is now worried about her CVT going out and us being out 5 grand just so we can sell it. The question she posed and I was hoping someone can answer is, are there adequate warning signs that the CVT is going out? Will we feel or hear it before it happens?
We are kicking around an aftermarket warranty. Seems like a reasonable insurance policy. We would have to read the fine print before sighing, but does this seem like a reasonable way to go? Should we just gtfo of the Rogue now? We got zero percent, so we still have a few months payments before it is all paid off.
Flaith
AG
Check your VIN for any CVT-related TSBs

https://www.transmissionrepaircostguide.com/nissan-rogue-transmission-problems/

Your car has the newer version that doesn't yet have an extended warranty on it like they did for the <2010 models (10 year/120k mile warranty extension).

Common problem symptoms:
Quote:

Lack of Response
Leaking Fluid
Low Fluid
Burning Smell
Grinding or Shaking
Whining, Clunking or Humming
Refuses to Go Into Gear
Torque Converter Issues
Valve Body Issues
Transmission Noisy in Neutral
Gears Slipping
No 3rd or 4th Gear
No 1st or 2nd Gear
No Reverse
Dragging Clutch
Trouble Codes / Check Engine Light

We have a 2018 Pathfinder. I expect to drive the car for 10 years/120k miles or so and then unload it. The CVT is a known weak point, and I have no reasonable expectation of it lasting longer than that mileage without need of replacement (~$3,000).
GrapevineAg
AG
Service the trans fluid on schedule. My daughter has a 2013 and she noticed some noise at about 62k miles. They inspected the trans and said it was fine but the service interval on the fluid was 60k. Changed it and everything has been fine since.
Flaith
AG
Oh yeah that too. You should have the fluid replaced at 60k. If you haven't done it yet, go and get them to do a fluid analysis.
tailgatetimer10
AG
My wife had the 1st Gen cvt. It randomly went out, and into limp mode on the way to Midland. Thank God it died in San Angelo, who has a Nissan dealership.

I service our vehicles regularly. The transmission fluid was just replaced at 100k and the thing went out at 108k.

Your vehicle has the transmission they're replacing the older ones with. I don't think these have any issues of note.
nortex97
AG
This thread is a good/handy reminder to others not to ever buy a CVT. Nissan/Infiniti and some other makes have gone all in on this (including Subaru) but I/my family will never own one.

Yes, I know some think they are fine, and I'm ok to 'agree to disagree' with you on it.
tailgatetimer10
AG
I'll never own another one. Just waiting for us to get 200k out of it. Not only do I not trust it, it feels so loose and sloppy. Can't stand it, maybe the newer ones are much improved, I don't know.
agdaddy04
AG
We had an 09 and it went out at 115,000 or so. It came on with no prior issues and went into limp mode.
Flaith
AG
nortex97 said:

This thread is a good/handy reminder to others not to ever buy a CVT. Nissan/Infiniti and some other makes have gone all in on this (including Subaru) but I/my family will never own one.

Yes, I know some think they are fine, and I'm ok to 'agree to disagree' with you on it.
Ever owned a chevrolet truck from the late 90s/early 2000s?

4L60s practically fell out of the bottom of half the trucks and SUVs my family owned during this timeframe.

At least Nissan extended the warranty for the defective ones. Only recently have the 8+ speed transmissions been able to match the efficiency of the CVTs. The concept is fine, but the execution has been bumpy, yet improving.

Still, Nissan, infiniti, toyota, honda and subaru have sold a gagillion cars with CVTs in them, and not all of them have been maintenance nightmares.
Mookie
AG
Put a couple hundred bucks a month in a savings account for the next 18 months. If the ****** hasn't blown by then you have a working car and $5k down payment on something. If it does go out, you can replace the ****** to get it back in working order and not have a $1000 paperweight in your driveway.
Mookie
AG
And the ****** shop owner is a dbag for pontificating about this.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Thanks for the advice. We will get the fluid swapped soon and hope Nissan got this one right.
nortex97
AG
Flaith said:

nortex97 said:

Ever owned a chevrolet truck from the late 90s/early 2000s?

4L60s practically fell out of the bottom of half the trucks and SUVs my family owned during this timeframe.

At least Nissan extended the warranty for the defective ones. Only recently have the 8+ speed transmissions been able to match the efficiency of the CVTs. The concept is fine, but the execution has been bumpy, yet improving.

Still, Nissan, infiniti, toyota, honda and subaru have sold a gagillion cars with CVTs in them, and not all of them have been maintenance nightmares.
Not interested in a long debate, but the 4L60 was and is a poor transmission as well, I don't disagree. However, they were made for 3 years, and you can have it rebuilt for around a grand (or if you own one the kits are around 300 bucks).

It's...not the same with these CVT's. Some have held up, but many have not. The average Subie CVT replacement for instance is way over $5K, closer to $8K to get the unfortunate owner back on the road/out the door. Especially for folks looking to buy used cars, I'd run away screaming from that deal/possibility.
YourFavAggie
AG
Had a 2013 fail about two years ago, may have been a touch over 100k miles. The recall hadn't extended out to that year model and would have been about $3k to fix. We dumped it and won't buy a CVT unless we are forced too.
Eyes of texas Crying
longeryak
nortex97 said:

It is really the Jatco(Nissan) CVT to stay away from as both Toyota and Subaru stopped using them and now manufacture their own. No one is talking about the CVTs in Toyota, Honda, Audi, Lexus, Mercedes, etc. failing. There may not be a Japanese sedan, other than the largest Lexus and Acuras, without one at this point. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automobiles_with_continuously_variable_transmissions
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.