Brake squealing question

1,211 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The last few weeks, my brakes have started squealing, but only first thing in the morning as I back out of my driveway. It only happens in reverse and goes away immediately once I start driving forward. No problems for the rest of the day, even in reverse.

Any ideas what this may be?
UnderoosAg
AG
My truck does that once in a while, especially when it's been sitting for a day or so at the airport. I've always chalked it up to moisture or some such on the pads or rotor. Once I brake it heats it up or burns it off, or the rotor gnome falls off and it stops.
Flaith
AG
Do you have ceramic pads?

How many miles are on the pads and rotors (i'm assuming rear discs)?

Have you checked pad thickness or the rotor face for any gouging?
BrazosDog02
AG
Its moisture and surface rust on your rotors. Pretty standard stuff that happens when it sits. If it goes away, you're good.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Pads and rotors are relatively new. Maybe 10k miles on them, no gouging on the rotors and plenty of pad left. Ceramic pads on front. Rear drums. Replaced shoes last night because I thought I was about due (wasn't wrong, but shoes weren't bad either). Just hit 100k miles and never had this before.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.